Over Ear Headphones - Under £150

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

After my previous headphones broke (UE 6000), I bought myself a nice pair of AKG Y50's. Have to say, great sound, but the comfort is a huge issue for me (despite my tiny head). I can't wear these for more than an hour before me ears start to ache and I need to take a break.

So I'm thinking of selling these on and I'll need to replace these, but have no idea what to get.

They need to be over-ear, portable, closed back, and can block out a decent amount of noise. Ideally, a detachable cable with a mic, and a hard carry case. All for under £150, ideally less than £100.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Bose Soundtrue over ear, so I'm skeptical. Can anyone confirm or deny the quality of these? Or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Any help would be appriciated, cheers.

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Mostly in a library hall, where it's pretty loud. I'll occassionally use them for train journeys, so decent noise isolation is important.

Music wise, I'll listen to anything from indie (like Alt-J) to electronic music (like deadmau5). A balanced sound signature for the can is just fine, nothing overly bassy.

dim_span

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro .... brand new on ebay is just over £100 ...

there are 2 versions ... a 250 Ohm and an 80 Ohm .... if you don't have a headphone amp, get the 80 Ohm

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You could look at the Klipsch Status, very good isolation and sound great. Or for less money the Audio-Technica ATH-AX5iS or ATH-WS55i. Another great choice and stunning with electronic is the Reloop RHP-20.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
For a little more, maybe £170 you could get the Shure SRH940...Top top class imo.

The Beyer DT770 pro is also very nice and I'd recommend them if you can't push for the Shures.

(Both are extremely comfortable)

If you go for the Beyer, I wouldn't worry too much about the high impedance models, I tried the 250 Ohm model with my Windows phone and the volume was plenty. YMMV

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
The Bayer doesn't really fold down enough.... Can't really stretch to £170 either. But I have found my solution!

I think that the ATH-M50x is what I'm gonna go for. Fold down really well, great audio (I tried the original ATH M50's not long back from a friend, I'd assume these are the same if not better), and the detachable cable is a bonus. Availible for £105 with free shipping, which is pretty cheap for them. They tick all the right boxes, and I can pick up a nice hard case for them.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts