Out of curiosity

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Is there anyone here that was in possession of any french speakers ( made in France ) and was not happy with them ? The question stems from the fact that I hardly if ever noticed any complaints about french made loudspeakers.

;)

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
which the critics love.

I've had a couple of pairs, Triangle principally, and, providing you go the positioning right, they were superb. This was before the company was bought out.

I always intended to try Focals, but the new ground-breaking French speaker, Devialet, looks to be the way to go.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
stereoman said:
Is there anyone here that was in possession of any french speakers ( made in France ) and was not happy with them ? The question stems from the fact that I hardly if ever noticed any complaints about french made loudspeakers.

;)

Could be because, Focal aside, hardly any French speakers are sold in the UK, where it seems most of the posters on this forum are based.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
avole said:
which the critics love.

I've had a couple of pairs, Triangle principally, and, providing you go the positioning right, they were superb. This was before the company was bought out.

I always intended to try Focals, but the new ground-breaking French speaker, Devialet, looks to be the way to go.

I also heard a couple of them and cannot say anything but the fact they are generally very hand clapping / foot stomping. I mean I can say that I heard some english , german , japanese etc. where those models were not to my liking at all but I cannot say it about any french loudspeaker nor have I heard any complaints from their users so far - what made me simply wonder. Maybe the french are specially talented in making very musical loudspeakers...

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
spiny norman said:
stereoman said:

;)

Could be because, Focal aside, hardly any French speakers are sold in the UK, where it seems most of the posters on this forum are based.

Maybe..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What Spiny said.

There's only really Focal that have made any inroads into the UK. I forget the other brands, but Cabasse springs to mind - they've tried for a few decades now through various distributors, but it just never takes off.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a pair of Focal aria 936, and am happy with them. They manage to provide improved control of the bass played during jazz music, without the need for me to add a subwoofer.

Andrew Everard was a fan of the smaller model the 926 http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Enceinte-colonne/Focal-Aria-936.html and http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Enceinte-colonne/Focal-Aria-948.html.

Some of the cabasse models are also available with a sizeable discount http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Enceinte-Colonne/Cabasse-MT32-Jersey.html

I would not that considered the focals at their full retail price, but I had been looking at getting a subwoofer, to improve the bass response from my hifi. But once I realised that the focal 936s could also solve the bass issue, and were available at the offer price, all thoughts about a subwoofer disappeared. i do not regret the purchase, and I think the Focals are here to stay for a few years.

But apart from focal, cabasse and the devialet phantom, I do not remember seeing other french speaker brands advertised. Maybe that is just me being unaware of the other french brands.

Nevertheless, focal, cabasse and the devialet phantom, seem to be the only french brands that I remember from the uk hifi mags and adverts as well.

David@FrankHarvey said:
What Spiny said.

There's only really Focal that have made any inroads into the UK. I forget the other brands, but Cabasse springs to mind - they've tried for a few decades now through various distributors, but it just never takes off.

Triangle are readily available and have been around for ages. Do I take it you don't stock them? ;-)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Love my Focal 1008Be's. Very neutral. Clean clear and extended treble. Very transparent and 'liquid' midband with deep and tuneful bass for their size (helped immensely by using SAM on my Devialet 200). Big soundstage and they look good and are very well made too.

Not sold on the Devialet Phantoms though.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I had JMR Bliss Silvers for a spell. Probably the most enjoyable speakers I ever had. Regret letting them go tbh, a moment of madness :(

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I heard some Jean Marie Reynard floorstanders as a HiFi show some years ago and they sounded very impressive to me at the time.

From memory I think they were a transmission line speaker .

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
What Spiny said.

Triangle are readily available and have been around for ages. Do I take it you don't stock them? ;-)
We don't stock any French loudspeakers, hence "I forget the other brands, but Cabasse springs to mind". I've probably heard of Cabasse more than any other French brand (other than Focal) because we've had various reps trying to sell it into places I have worked over the last 20+ years. I've heard of Triangle, YBA and Elipson, but I rarely see them mentioned in the press or on forums.

Infiniteloop said:
Love my Focal 1008Be's. Very neutral. Clean clear and extended treble. Very transparent and 'liquid' midband with deep and tuneful bass for their size (helped immensely by using SAM on my Devialet 200). Big soundstage and they look good and are very well made too.

Hi Infiniteloop

+1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts