Ouch, thats sharp!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I have come into possession of a pair of ProAc Super Tablettes c.1982 and replaced my BR2's with these.

The sound is much more detailed in every way - to quote another thread 'as though a veil has been lifted'. However although the bass and mids are great, its the top end that is curtailing my enjoyment. This can be really bright/harsh/piercing/splashy (sorry chaps
emotion-40.gif
) to the point of hurting my ears at higher volumes - and I dont play it that loud because so as not to offend the neighbours!!.

Can anyone suggest if this would be because the amp is not powerful enough to drive the ProAcs or would it be something as simple as upgrading the speaker cable. All I want is to reign-in/control the treble better without losing the detail and bass.

I know the RA04 has tone controls and have tried these but I do prefer to listen with these bypassed.

Thanks people

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO, looking at your set-up; i'd consider swapping the Atlas interconnect for a Chord Crimson and see if that dampens the treble a bit

Other than that i'm flumoxed :(

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't know much about Rotel and I have never heard an RA-04, but were Super Tablettes ever intended to be used with budget amps?

A 1984 review states....

"One basic problem is with tonal balance. Not only do the Tablettes have
no deep bass, but their entire frequency response sounds slightly
tilted upward toward the high end. The sound is a bit forward, bright,
and thin, tending to emphasize sibilants and other high-frequency
transients. Associated components that tend toward a bit of brightness
become unbearable on the Tablettes; if anything, a somewhat rolled-off
amplifier or cartridge would be in order, with perhaps a bit of lower
midrange warmth thrown in."

They also recommend the speaker be placed 3 feet from any wall.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I found the same thing from my demo with the newer Proac Tablette Signature speakers.

You can read my review over at this thread

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/123249.aspx

Overall they were the sharpest and least likeable at the top end and on female vocals for the few speakers i tried out. Much much better for me were Neat Motive and PMC in presentation style.

A

Anonymous

Chebby, yes you are probably right, but these were recently left to me by my Dad and I havent got the heart (call me sentimental) to get rid for a while, so looking for a quick fix really and then later maybe upgrade the amp.

T

the record spot

If it's just a slight rounding down of the treble, see if you can find a dealer who can let you demo the interconnects I use - AudioQuest Copperhead. Very subtle, it toned down a slightly enthusiastic treble but left the midrange untouched whilst giving a helping hand to the low end too. £60 and highly recommended from personal experience. Obviously, I'm using it with different kit, hence the home demo suggestion first.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
crusaderlord:I found the same thing from my demo with the newer Proac Tablette Signature speakers. You can read my review over at this thread http://whathifi.com/forums/t/123249.aspx Overall they were the sharpest and least likeable at the top end and on female vocals for the few speakers i tried out. Much much better for me were Neat Motive and PMC in presentation style.

Really? Did you demo with Arcam? Mine aren't sharp at all, in fact less so than my Dalis. I don't know whether this is because I have the Reference model tho'

A

Anonymous

I'm surprised you can't tame it with tone controls. Add a subwoofer? A sub can transform a system.

I'm pretty sure that changing interconnects won't help either, after all who would buy an interconnect that rolled off the treble.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I can tame it with the tone controls but I prefer to not use them if at all possible. It does tend to deaden (if thats a word) the sound all round.

T

the record spot

Cyril Mason:
I'm surprised you can't tame it with tone controls. Add a subwoofer? A sub can transform a system.

I'm pretty sure that changing interconnects won't help either, after all who would buy an interconnect that rolled off the treble.

Ummm, why not? If it's a minor tweak, if you like the sound for the majority of the time, if you amp doesn't have tone controls, if the treble is a little too bright, if the interconnect you already have is too bright in its' own character (in my case, Nordost Blue Heaven i/c) or all of the above. And probably more. I mean, if you feel a subwoofer can tame harsh treble, fill your boots!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Cyril Mason:

Ummm, why not? If it's a minor tweak, if you like the sound for the majority of the time, if you amp doesn't have tone controls, if the treble is a little too bright, if the interconnect you already have is too bright in its' own character (in my case, Nordost Blue Heaven i/c) or all of the above. And probably more. I mean, if you feel a subwoofer can tame harsh treble, fill your boots!

His amp does have tone controls.

If a speaker is fairly small and bright sounding the addition of a sub will bring about a dramatic improvement. I bought a BK Electronics one to go with my small B&Ws and the difference is simply staggering. Have you tried one?

T

the record spot

I was answering your query (which I took to be general) "who would buy an interconnect..." which suggested that this wasn't a realistic route to take. I agree if the problem is a big one and wouldn't recommend anyone waste money when they need to take a hard look at which component is the underlying problem.

However, where it's minor and/or budget is tight, then it's a tweak and no more.

Re: the sub - never needed one to answer your query so I don't have one. I've only ever had floorstanders and I'm unconvinced by subwoofers in the domestic setting, esp with neighbours around etc. I take it the sub bottoms out the sound and gives balance, but are you saying it tames the treble? Or the balance it brings at the other end of the frequency scale just makes it less noticeable?

TRENDING THREADS