OS X Mavericks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
Chisy1 said:
Thanks prof and rob, time for me to upgrade. Now I just need to decide whether to do a clean install

Word of warning - if you do the clean install from a USB stick, it doesn't create the recovery partition which means things like Find My Mac and FileVault2 can't be enabled (I've just discovered this). It seems the easiest way to get the recovery partition created is not to use the bootable USB stick, but install it from the downloaded "Install OS X Mavericks.app" (but also take a copy of the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" application from the Applications folder to a USB stick before you start in case you need it again - saves 5 GB of your allowance!). When it reboots, choose then to erase your Mac drive using the Disk Utility option prior to starting the install.

You may already know this, but I didn't and have had to install it a few times before getting it right!

Thanks for this. I think i'm just going to install directly over mountain lion...I've not read any 'bad' reports yet of doing it this way and I'll have a time machine and bootable clone just in case it does go pear shaped.

Looking forward to extended battery life! My poor 3-4mpbs broadband is going to take ages to download the software. If I start downloading it overnight does it just wait after its downloaded before installing?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Chisy1 said:
If I start downloading it overnight does it just wait after its downloaded before installing?

Yup, you have to click Continue before it'll do anything - remember to check your Energy Saver settings to ensure your Mac doesn't go to sleep whilst downloading!

Chisy1

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
Chisy1 said:
If I start downloading it overnight does it just wait after its downloaded before installing?

Yup, you have to click Continue before it'll do anything - remember to check your Energy Saver settings to ensure your Mac doesn't go to sleep whilst downloading!

very good point, I've definitely run into that problem before.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well I'm glad it was free as seems no different whatsoever to me. iBooks included, which I'll never use, and Apple Maps, which is nowhere near as good as Google Maps so can't see me using that either...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
roger06 said:
Well I'm glad it was free as seems no different whatsoever to me. iBooks included, which I'll never use, and Apple Maps, which is nowhere near as good as Google Maps so can't see me using that either...

Have you noticed the tabs in the Finder app - this is one of the most welcome additions to me.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The biggest bug I've found so far is my Magic Mouse no longer works properly. Up and down yes, but two-finger horizontal sweeps no longer swipes between full-screen apps (even though it is enabled, and yes I've disabled and re-enabled it a few times to try to force a reset) and single-finger swipes crashes Safari. Single-finger double-tap no longer zooms in either. You'd think they'd check really basic stuff like this still works.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
roger06 said:

Have you noticed the tabs in the Finder app - this is one of the most welcome additions to me.

Yes, but I'd had this for ages anyway with a little free app called XtraFinder...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts