Ortofon Quintet MC / Hana MC Cartridges

stevebrock said:
Anybody heard the SL versions of the Hana carts?

How about the Quintet MC range ?

Just curious thats all

I have heard the Quintet Bronze, very nice and well worth the money if you must go the MC route. Hana are very new and I doubt very much any forumee actually has one (about the only way to actually hear one is to buy it as you know dealers are extremely unlikely to actually get one out of the box for you), and I have never heard one myself. They do appear to be getting extremely good reviews however and appear to be a bit of a bargain. Not many (2??) stockists in the UK yet.

Personally I wouldn't touch the cheaper of the Quintet range as there is little point. For that money you might as well stick to a Moving Magnet design with the abilitiy to renew stylus when required.

If yo are thinking of moving up soon then Ian Harrison currently has a very good deal on a Zyx R100 (not cheap but a darn sight cheaper than it's actual retail price) or save your pennies for a much more expensive moving coil, cheap moving coils are a pointless commodity in my opinion.

I met the Hana Rep at the Bristol show, and gleaned that the actual company has been making cartridges for others for decades. They seem to have created their own brand recently, perhaps reflecting the resurgence of interest in LPs.

They also had a vast range of accessories on display - record sleeves, cleaning brushes, etc. As Al ears says they didn't seem to have much availability yet, but what I saw impressed me. Worth investigating!

The last MC I bought was a Denon, and they still make some, though sadly discontinued a higher output one that was popular. I won a very low output Goldring (Electro LZ) now sold and no longer made. I'd certainly consider Denon again but generally I agree that the jump to MC is a bigger one than it seemed, perhaps from the days when built in mc preamps were more common.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts