Ortofon 2m blue

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
woo hoo- it's finally arrived!! first impressions are very good! the sibilance which occurred on my dark side of the moon LP is gone...totally! It's very analytical, detail is very impressive. I am definitely hearing more from the LP and it is a lot clearer. I can hear each instrument and vocal clearly. The bass is precise with ample slam, as it should be! I am very happy :) ...I am looking forward to hearing the final sound once it has been broken in! Highly recommended upgrade and at £90...a steal!!!!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Have been waiting to hear your verdict! That arrived quickly once it eventually got dispatched... good to hear it worked out as that shop is the only one selling it at that price.

Am definitely getting one next pay day!!!
emotion-1.gif

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
margetti:
Have been waiting to hear your verdict! That arrived quickly once it eventually got dispatched... good to hear it worked out as that shop is the only one selling it at that price.

Am definitely getting one next pay day!!!
emotion-1.gif

yeah, it's a fab upgrade. I hardly played my pink floyd album because on some tracks David Gilmour's voice expressed terrible sibilance...this has now disappeared completely! unbelievable!...can't wait to play my black sabbath album after pink floyd is finished :) Let me know what you think of it when you get yours.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi gbsh1

I'm interested to know what you moved up to the 2M Blue from, was it the 2M Red (like myself) perhaps?

My next two upgrades will be a) new cartridge and b) new phono stage. As good as my little Pro-Ject Box is I'm sure a suitable upgrade will reap rewards coupled with a cartridge upgrade. I'm inclined towards the Naim Stageline Phono Amp, synergy and all that, but I know from reading about it that your phono stage is highly regarded too.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Dave

A

Anonymous

More positive feedback for the 2M Blue - great cartridge for the money. Not heard the 2m red, but it makes me wonder how good the black might be.....

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
daskeg:More positive feedback for the 2M Blue - great cartridge for the money. Not heard the 2m red, but it makes me wonder how good the black might be.....

Have heard nothing but praise for the Blue - was procrastinating this morning about the purchase but a couple of reviews (that I've read many times before) convinced me to click 'order now'
emotion-7.gif

I've read the Black is amazing, and will give many a MC cartridge a run for it's money... but it is a pretty significant step up in money terms too

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
margetti:
daskeg:More positive feedback for the 2M Blue - great cartridge for the money. Not heard the 2m red, but it makes me wonder how good the black might be.....

Have heard nothing but praise for the Blue - was procrastinating this morning about the purchase but a couple of reviews (that I've read many times before) convinced me to click 'order now'
emotion-7.gif

I've read the Black is amazing, and will give many a MC cartridge a run for it's money... but it is a pretty significant step up in money terms too

Let me know when you get it and your views :) it's a lovely cartridge!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
DIB:
Hi gbsh1

I'm interested to know what you moved up to the 2M Blue from, was it the 2M Red (like myself) perhaps?

My next two upgrades will be a) new cartridge and b) new phono stage. As good as my little Pro-Ject Box is I'm sure a suitable upgrade will reap rewards coupled with a cartridge upgrade. I'm inclined towards the Naim Stageline Phono Amp, synergy and all that, but I know from reading about it that your phono stage is highly regarded too.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Dave

Hi DIB, I had the 2m red before so moved up from that. I used the project box (a tester borrowed from my brother) with the 2m red but got much more rewards from buying my own trichord dino MK1. Then I realised I could get more out of my new dino so purchased the blue stylus- wow is all I can say. The black will definitely be on the cards on day :)

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that, I'm going to keep an eye out for any Trichords that come on the market, no rush. A further point, do you use the standard power supply or the matching PSU upgrade? Interested to know how much difference that would make.

Also, just noticed that you picked up your Blue for £90! How did you manage that, or more importantly where from?

Dave

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
DIB:
Also, just noticed that you picked up your Blue for £90! How did you manage that, or more importantly where from?

Dave

Hi Dave, it's Musonic doing it at that price - stylus only (not the cart, but still £25 cheaper than anyone else for the stylus) which is interchangeable with the Red...

Will be looking at upgrading my phono stage too in due course, but with a little one on the way it may be some time before that happens... baby monitors and nappies are currently the order of the day!
emotion-3.gif
(hence the Blue stylus 'whilst I can'
emotion-10.gif
)

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1:Let me know when you get it and your views :) it's a lovely cartridge!

Will do - can't wait! (Actually glad it didn't turn up today - recovering from man-flu, and my ears wouldn't have appreciated any improvement as a result!)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
DIB:
Thanks for that, I'm going to keep an eye out for any Trichords that come on the market, no rush. A further point, do you use the standard power supply or the matching PSU upgrade? Interested to know how much difference that would make.

Dave

Using the standard power supply at the moment but I am sure the matching PSU would just take it to another level again...one day I will be doing that and will be able to comment..but for now this will have to do :) As margetti mentioned- I just replaced the stylus for £90 from Musonic

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
margetti:
gbhsi1:Let me know when you get it and your views :) it's a lovely cartridge!

Will do - can't wait! (Actually glad it didn't turn up today - recovering from man-flu, and my ears wouldn't have appreciated any improvement as a result!)

man flu?? the worst kind of flu...females just don't understand how serious it is :) Hope you feel better soon!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1:man flu?? the worst kind of flu...females just don't understand how serious it is :) Hope you feel better soon!

Cheers! And no, they definitely don't
emotion-4.gif

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Oh....

Oh... WOW!
emotion-2.gif

Yes, it's arrived. Hardly ideal listening conditions - recovering from a cold and kids needing attention... I was going to hold fire until tomorrow evening when I have the house to myself, but 10 minutes after putting it on the shelf it was back out again and on the cart!

Just simply astounding
emotion-2.gif

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
margetti:
Oh....

Oh... WOW!
emotion-2.gif

Yes, it's arrived. Hardly ideal listening conditions - recovering from a cold and kids needing attention... I was going to hold fire until tomorrow evening when I have the house to myself, but 10 minutes after putting it on the shelf it was back out again and on the cart!

Just simply astounding
emotion-2.gif

For the price it is so damn good! Glad you are enjoying. Give it another 20-30 hrs and it will impress you even further :) WOW indeed!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Haven't had a chance to listen to it any further yet - will have a good proper session tomorrow night. Like you say, for the price it really does impress. I have a rough idea of the physical differences between various styluses (stylii?) and why those differences have the effect they do, but I'm going to research a bit more - I'm fascinated how something so miniscule can make such a difference.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
At the risk of 'going on a bit'... my plan tonight was a bit of TT then some xbox... needless to say the xbox ain't getting a look-in!!!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A bit of advice please gentlemen.

As you can see, I have a 2M Red. Well at least I did! Can't believe it but the diamond tip is well and truly goosed. Was working fine last night, came to use it tonight, gave it a little clean up with my stylus brush and its bloody gone on me.

My question is this. If I remove the 2M Red stylus can I replace it with a 2M Blue stylus, without the need for buying the full 2M Blue cartridge? 2M Blue stylus £90, 2M Blue Cartridge £150+. Big difference.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
DIB:
A bit of advice please gentlemen.

As you can see, I have a 2M Red. Well at least I did! Can't believe it but the diamond tip is well and truly goosed. Was working fine last night, came to use it tonight, gave it a little clean up with my stylus brush and its bloody gone on me.

My question is this. If I remove the 2M Red stylus can I replace it with a 2M Blue stylus, without the need for buying the full 2M Blue cartridge? 2M Blue stylus £90, 2M Blue Cartridge £150+. Big difference.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Yes, just buy the stylus- take the 2M stylus out (it slides out with very little force) & replace it with the 2M blue stylus! presto! The body of both cartridges are the same- the difference is the stylus (2M red is elliptical and the 2M blue is nude elliptical) Hope this helps :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts