Ortofon 2m blue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Not good (how old is your cart?), but if you have £90 spare you might just end up seeing it as a blessing in disguise... as yes, you can do exactly that. The blue and red share the same cartridge body, so the stylus is the only difference between them. Simply take the Red stylus assembly off, and put the Blue in its place.

Can't fault Musonic either - at £90 not only are they £25 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen, I ordered mine about 11:00am Monday morning, and it arrived by special delivery Wednesday morning.

I think you'll enjoy the upgrade immensely - just polishes off the systemdek/rega arm combo nicely imho. And especially all the more enjoyable if you still have that Croft phono amp on demo. Will be looking for a new phono amp myself next - I think the Cambridge, as good as it has been, is now probably the weak link in my tt setup.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Cheers guys.

Luckily I sold an old mobile phone this week for £75 so I've more or less covered my costs. Shame really, I was going to use some of that money at a record fair in Manchester tomorrow.
emotion-6.gif

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I know what you mean - I've had to sacrifice buying some new vinyl this month to pay for the Blue. Which of course, is the sort of upgrade that just makes you want to go out and buy new vinyl.... It's a vicious circle!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
2M Blue stylus duly ordered this morning, hopefully it might even be posted today. So no vinyl for 2/3 days which is a real shame as I've just come back from the record fair in Manchester. 10 Lps for £36 + £3 admission. Not bad.

Dave

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
DIB:
2M Blue stylus duly ordered this morning, hopefully it might even be posted today. So no vinyl for 2/3 days which is a real shame as I've just come back from the record fair in Manchester. 10 Lps for £36 + £3 admission. Not bad.

Dave

When you get the blue you will not be disappointed, it is worth the sacrifice of not buying a few vinyl as you will want to listen to your current collection all over and over again :) let us know what you think of it when you finally receive it!

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Agreed. I bought the Blue for my Technics deck and it sounded like a new system after the previous AT 140 cart.

Little tip . I found surface noise is high with the blue. Recently , after some problems with sibilance from muck on the stylus, i invested in some Lyra cleaning fluid. It comes with a soft brush and its dam pricey at £30, but my records now play a lot quieter.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

Recently upgraded to a Michell TechnoArm on my Thorens TD160HD, and I have to say that with my 2m Black now well and truly 'run in', my vinyl has never sounded so good. Surface noice is low and the deck is getting so much more detail out. Rest of my system is Naim 112x/150x/FC2x/CD5x into Spendor A6s.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your Ortofons as much as I am !

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Thorens TD160HD looks such a lovely deck. I love the design.

Before I bought my Systemdek I was looking for ages to buy an old Thorens in my price range, to no avail unfortunately.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dib

I agree about the look of the TD 160 - simple and functional. Sounds so good now, that I'm hardly listening to CDs anymore.

Without trying to highjack the thread, I see you have a Uniti - How are you getting on with it? Do you stream wirelessly?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
NHG:
Hi Dib

Without trying to highjack the thread, I see you have a Uniti - How are you getting on with it? Do you stream wirelessly?

Love it to bits. What can I say, it's got everything I need in one box (apart from phono stage).

I have streamed wirelessly, but my PC and router are in the same room so I hardwire from the router and run a toslink cable from the PC . It's just that more reliable than wireless which can suffer from dropouts from time to time. The internet radio is just brilliant. Radio Paradise streams at 128 kps but honestly it doesn't sound like that low a bitrate. Spotify Premium at 320 kps sounds fabulous too.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
My new 2M Blue arrived today, so its off with the Red and on with the Blue.

Sounding good to me.

Just as a point of interest, is there such a thing as running in a new stylus, or does it like most things hi-fi divide opinion?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I don't think there is any divided opinion on this one (I may live to regret saying that) - needles definitely need running in. From what I've read, you should get a marked improvement around 20-30 hours playing time, with peak performance after about 100 hours.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
margetti:
(I may live to regret saying that) -

Nah you are safe Margetti. But some carts take a lot longer than others to bed in / loosen up / etc. ATs (im talking coils here not MMs) for instance can take quite a while. Also some may sound overly bright ( one mans bright is anothers foot tapper btw ) and some may sound flabby and generaly c**p until they have been running a while. So there is no set time scale, just go by yer lugholes. Then if you still dont like it ebay is your friend, or the bin
emotion-2.gif

Edit. And some sound pretty good from the get go.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Cheers guys.

Whilst on the subject of all things Ortofon, have any of you got one of the Ortofon Stylus Brushes? One of these..

Carbon%20brush%20vandret.jpg

I've just got one, but from looking at it the bristles seem very hard. Is there a specific technique to use? I'm just a bit worried that if I do it wrong I'm going to damage the tip.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Brush from the back to the front GENTLY !. Do not brush from side to side DIB. That brush you show is sold under a few different brand names btw. Personaly i dont like em, got one but just dont like it ( came as a freebie with a cart ). Onzo zero dust is a good product although a tad pricey. Thats what i use coupled with a softer brush and occasionaly Lyra SPT. There is a new product out thats a lot cheaper than the onzo, does the same thing, but what its called evades me at the min.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Yep, back-to-front motion with the brush. I snapped a stylus by going front-to-back, even gently. Those styli are more fragile than they look!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid:Brush from the back to the front GENTLY !. Do not brush from side to side DIB. That brush you show is sold under a few different brand names btw. Personaly i dont like em, got one but just dont like it ( came as a freebie with a cart ). Onzo zero dust is a good product although a tad pricey. Thats what i use coupled with a softer brush and occasionaly Lyra SPT. There is a new product out thats a lot cheaper than the onzo, does the same thing, but what its called evades me at the min.

Mr. Droid ,

I bought a magazine today which had " Hi-Fi" in its title and they mentioned a product called " Vinyl Passion Dust Buster " made by Missing Link and costs £15 . Is this what you were thinking of ?

Nick

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad:
floyd droid:Brush from the back to the front GENTLY !. Do not brush from side to side DIB. That brush you show is sold under a few different brand names btw. Personaly i dont like em, got one but just dont like it ( came as a freebie with a cart ). Onzo zero dust is a good product although a tad pricey. Thats what i use coupled with a softer brush and occasionaly Lyra SPT. There is a new product out thats a lot cheaper than the onzo, does the same thing, but what its called evades me at the min.

Mr. Droid ,

I bought a magazine today which had " Hi-Fi" in its title and they mentioned a product called " Vinyl Passion Dust Buster " made by Missing Link and costs £15 . Is this what you were thinking of ?

Nick

Yup indeedy Nick, thats the baby. I read about it there too but as i said i couldnt remember the name of it. Pretty much half the price of the Onzo anaw.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid:shropshire lad:

Mr. Droid ,

Nick

Yup indeedy Nick, thats the baby. I read about it there too but as i said i couldnt remember the name of it. Pretty much half the price of the Onzo anaw.

I guess the Onzo product was priced that high because it had a monopoly of the market ,with the introduction of some competition hopefully the price will come down . I'm waiting until you can pick one up for a fiver !

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts