Original Audiolab 8000A - still a player?

Drew2

Sep 1, 2020
Visit site
I have a 1987 Audiolab 8000A that still is in use. It sounds good to me but I may just be "used to" it. I am looking at a REGA Brio for something "new" after all these years. Will this be an improvement that I can hear? Speakers are B&W 804s. Also looking at the new version Audiolab 6000A although I know these are not made in the UK like the originals. Any other recommendations in this price range? I am open to opinions...Thank You

matthewpiano

It was a fine amp in 1987, and it's still a fine amp now. The 6000A is a fine affordable amplifier and would likely match it, but I wouldn't buy it as an upgrade - more like a sideways replacement with added features. Similar applies for the Rega Brio (but without the added features), though you would see more of a change in tonal presentation with this, the Rega being less explicitly detailed and offering more warmth.

My suggestion for a worthwhile improvement would be to audition amplifiers from at least a class higher - Naim Nait 5Si, Rega Elex-R, Musical Fidelity M3Si... It is possible that something along these lines might get even more out of your 804s. However, I would also caution that if your current system sounds good to you, you could risk upsetting the balance by changing the amp, so auditioning any contenders in your own system is a must.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts