OPPO 105 for Blu Ray & Stereo System

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of replacing my Audiolab 8200 CDP & the Sony S790 with OPPO 105, one player for both systems. The main concern is I don't have (& don't want to buy) a pre-amp, does the OPPO 105 have a built-in digital pre-amp (digital volume control / variable output) like the Audiolab 8200 CDP so I can connect it directly to my power amp.

Thank you in advance.

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Yup, I've been using one for while with impressive results. I replaced a TAG DVD player with a 105 and then took the AV32r out of the system. I was very surprised that I didn't miss the extra electronics.

The other thing is the Oppo allows you to play and stream just about anything. I attached a hard drive and play music from FLACs, DSD.

Make sure you select variable output in the sound menu (or it will come full blast) when you start and away you go. Happy listening!

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
jmjones said:
Yup, I've been using one for while with impressive results. I replaced a TAG DVD player with a 105 and then took the AV32r out of the system. I was very surprised that I didn't miss the extra electronics.

The other thing is the Oppo allows you to play and stream just about anything. I attached a hard drive and play music from FLACs, DSD.

Make sure you select variable output in the sound menu (or it will come full blast) when you start and away you go. Happy listening!

Thank you Jmjones

Like the above posts I can only agree with just how good and flexible the Oppo is. I have had one now for about a year and a half and it's currently networked to my PC via 'homeplug' device.

It will indeed act as a preamp (I kept my preamp in the system however as it is such a brilliant one and the match to power amp is just so good I could not sell it on, also needed it for my vinyl setup).

It's a bit like a Swiss army knife and am really impressed with latest updates which allow DSD file playback from USB device as I have quite a few hiRes downloads on the NAS.

Initially I comptemplated upgrading it with the Audiocom upgrade package but baulked at the costs involved considering how good the Oppo is 'straight out of the box'.

It is so good, in fact, that my well loved Stello CD transport and DAC will soon be appearing on eBay.. *biggrin*

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
yep, brillant piece of kit. Am even looking at playing direct from the oppo into an active speaker 5.1 settup. Streams evrything like mentioned. Picture quality is first class also.

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Just read WHF review on the 105D today & says that as a CD player this 105D only as good as Marantz CD6005 which cost GBP 350.00.

Has anyone compared or read any review the 105D vs 8200CD playing CD? Both using the ESS Sabre 32 Bit DAC chip, wonder which one is better. From price view if the 105D only equal to CD6005, the Audiolab should be better IMO.

My first priority is still for CD playing, the reason for replacing the Sony & Audiolab with 105D is to make my system compact, but if I have to compensate or sacrifice the 2 channel/CD performance, I'm not going to do it. At least, I have to get the same quality as now from my Audiolab 8200CD.

Thank you.

I answered this on the other thread as well. Copy pasting:

You should demo and compare yourself to decide its CD playing abilities. If you read more reviews, you'll find varying remarks about CD playback.

For example, Sound Vision review says this:

"Had I made a pure CD player in the same price range and a bit upwards, I would be nervous – Oppo BDP-105D certainly sounds compelling with music. Sure, you can find CD players that sound better, but probably not at this price. And it can play all discs and can handle both two- and multi-channel, even a HDCD filter is built in. Considering all the things the Oppo 105D can do picture-wise in addition, it is simply brilliant value for the money.

I have heard many significantly more expensive CD players that gets beaten by the Oppo 105. You get a sound with the calm, the detail and the super quiet background that I really only expect from dedicated CD players of high class."

http://www.soundvisionreview.com/hi-fi-home-theater/blu-ray/oppo-bdp-105d-review/

bigboss said:

You should demo and compare yourself to decide its CD playing abilities. If you read more reviews, you'll find varying remarks about CD playback.

"Had I made a pure CD player in the same price range and a bit upwards, I would be nervous – Oppo BDP-105D certainly sounds compelling with music. Sure, you can find CD players that sound better, but probably not at this price. And it can play all discs and can handle both two- and multi-channel, even a HDCD filter is built in. Considering all the things the Oppo 105D can do picture-wise in addition, it is simply brilliant value for the money.

I have heard many significantly more expensive CD players that gets beaten by the Oppo 105. You get a sound with the calm, the detail and the super quiet background that I really only expect from dedicated CD players of high class."

http://www.soundvisionreview.com/hi-fi-home-theater/blu-ray/oppo-bdp-105...

I would tend to agree with this review. The Oppo is certainly better at CD replay than my trusted Stello Transport / DAC which cost more than twice the price of the Oppo when they were new.

Having said that I don't think I could justify the price of the Oppo if I was only going to use it for CD playback.

If you need a brilliant BluRay player as well, or a network streamer, or simply the ability to play SACD / DVD-A discs then you certainly should consider shelling out.

dsuciato

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
bigboss said:

Thank you both for the inputs, actually I'm still trying to find a 105D for audition at home w/ my existing system, hopefully able to do it. Yes, I'm not going to buy something based on reviews only, reviews are only for references. Again, thank you guys.

http://www.soundvisionreview.com/hi-fi-home-theater/blu-ray/oppo-bdp-105...

I would tend to agree with this review. The Oppo is certainly better at CD replay than my trusted Stello Transport / DAC which cost more than twice the price of the Oppo when they were new.

Having said that I don't think I could justify the price of the Oppo if I was only going to use it for CD playback.

If you need a brilliant BluRay player as well, or a network streamer, or simply the ability to play SACD / DVD-A discs then you certainly should consider shelling out.

TRENDING THREADS