Oppo 103 Blu-ray Player Gets 3 Stars!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
And right now, right here, unless you have serious moola to burn, I would also politely disagree with David when I say that 4k upscaling is by and large a red herring. Especially in a few years when 4k display prices will undoubtedly fall yet Sharp at CES have demonstrated 8k technology. 3D has been missed and gone, and 4k may very well go the same way. It's Betamax stuff.

While 4K will be the next thing for genuine movie enthusiasts (whether it becomes mainstream or becomes niche), I tell everyone that 4K processing at this moment in time is pointless. It's just another tick for the feature list. And chances are, if you have a current 4K screen to watch, the inbuilt scaling on that will more than likely be better quality.

While I would understand if 8K was adopted for broadcast instead of 4K, that doesn't necessarily make 4K obsolete. Who will be able to fit in a native 8K screen? I don't see why there can't be 4K and 8K screens to cover a wide price range to suit more people.

manicm

But where's the true 4k content? Sony talks about releasing '4k ready' blu-ray movies but nothing about native 4k material other than that supplied with their TVs. Looks like the cart has been put ahead of the horse if you ask me.

I will also state that even the well-heeled and video buffs will suffer from format-fatigue if yet another disc format is released - this is a dead-end as far as I'm concerned. I for one will never buy another new format disc player even if I could afford to.

Which also brings me to a question I've asked repeatedly, especially as more music chain stores bite the dust; why doesn't the idiotic record/movie industry save itself and retailers by storing digital audio/video onsite where customers can bring their own drives and load them up??? Oh I get it, copyright issues. So after everyone's haemorrhaging they still can't see beyond their own noses, or rather cut off their ears to spite their faces.

I must repeat - yet another new disc format is a dead-end.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
While I agree that digital storage is the future, I don't think we are quite there yet, storage space is still an issue. A bluray rip can be 40gb in size and above. The biggest HDD on the market is 4TB, you are never going to get past 100 films. So we firstly need bigger drives.

Secondly online streaming is a no go, audio and picture quality is not up to scratch yet, I want 1080p and I want HD audio. Internet speeds in the uk cannot cope yet and again storage is an issue for providers.

Maybe in a few years, but we will yet see another disc format.

A

Anonymous

sogophonio11 said:
When will some of you guys stop seeing whf mag as the holy grail?

WHF is the most useless, pretentious, waffle filled mag I've bought. God knows who they're trying to impress, but from the perspective of a potential buyer, they're only use is for telling you what's out there. I'd rely on random dice rolling more than their reviews.

I have never understood this pretentious approach to reviewing technical equipment, where hi-fi stands are "confident performers" and players "lack rhythm". Inanimate objects confident??? Seriously? I'm sure they do it just to seem artsy and eloquent, to appear better than technical mags/sites.

I'd much prefer them to stick to quantifiable facts, rather than flights of fantasy fiction. As a result, I'd take the opinions of the experienced shop owner/user, over this mag any day of the week... as long as they didn't resort to the same misplaced use of language of course.

I fully intend to get a 103, to replace the piece of junk, (yet highly rated) Marantz UD7006 I am unfortunate enough to own. Two faulty units and over 45 days in the repair centre, all in the space of 15 months. The 103 has everything I need, and more.

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
gel said:
Well according to David you are going to have to change the Oppo picture settings to get a good picture from it to start with!
smiley-smile.gif

Not really, but you can get an even better picture by playing about with the settings that are available on the player.

Hi FrankharveyHiFi

What settings for picture do you use by any chance could you let me know thank you.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
se7en said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
gel said:
Well according to David you are going to have to change the Oppo picture settings to get a good picture from it to start with!
smiley-smile.gif

Not really, but you can get an even better picture by playing about with the settings that are available on the player.

Hi FrankharveyHiFi

What settings for picture do you use by any chance could you let me know thank you.

This may not aply to all screens, but on my projector (Mitsubishi HC7000), I found that knocking the Contrast Enhancement up two notches increased my black level and detail in certain areas (this has a varies effect depending how much light and dark is on the screen at the time), and I add one notch to the sharpness. My PJ has always looked very sharp, especially in comparison to other projectors on the market (even though it is coming up to 4 years old). Only recently have I found competition for that sharpness in the Sony VW95. Admittedly, the sharpness control on the Oppo is a bit excessive for one notch - it almost seems like you've knocked it up five or more - but the difference is pretty stunning. Obviously that might stand out more on the 7ft screen I'm using, and may not show up quite so much on a 40" or 50" plasma.

I usually stay away from using any controls on the source and send the signal out "as is" so as not to change anything to much. But the differnce this makes is too much to ignore. On some films (noisy looking ones) it can bring the grain out a little to much, but clean looking films almost look lifelike.

michael hoy

The_Lhc said:
Gel's position is just as silly, he's now dismissing it solely on the basis of this one review, despite the other good reviews, the answer's the same as it is for everything else, demo it for yourself and then decide.

Agree with you here, unless you see and hear it yourself stop moaning.

se7en

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi FrankharveyHiFi

What settings for picture do you use by any chance could you let me know thank you.[/quote]

This may not aply to all screens, but on my projector (Mitsubishi HC7000), I found that knocking the Contrast Enhancement up two notches increased my black level and detail in certain areas (this has a varies effect depending how much light and dark is on the screen at the time), and I add one notch to the sharpness. My PJ has always looked very sharp, especially in comparison to other projectors on the market (even though it is coming up to 4 years old). Only recently have I found competition for that sharpness in the Sony VW95. Admittedly, the sharpness control on the Oppo is a bit excessive for one notch - it almost seems like you've knocked it up five or more - but the difference is pretty stunning. Obviously that might stand out more on the 7ft screen I'm using, and may not show up quite so much on a 40" or 50" plasma.

I usually stay away from using any controls on the source and send the signal out "as is" so as not to change anything to much. But the differnce this makes is too much to ignore. On some films (noisy looking ones) it can bring the grain out a little to much, but clean looking films almost look lifelike.

[/quote]

Cheers i will try these settings many thanks for your time and explanation on settings much obliged.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
And there we about have it! Very interesting debate. Thanks one and all, made very interesting reading.

Off now for some entertainment from my half star oppo 95!!

Good weekend guys.

D

Deleted member 2457

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm interested in reading the review before saying too much.

gel said:
Picture and sound quality for the money seems to be its downfall. I looked at the spec on the Pioneers at £200 and compared it to the Oppo for £500 and there is not much in it, but sure you get a nice case to put it in for the extra £300.
smiley-smile.gif

Pop in and I'll put the 103 up against any of the Pioneer Bluray players and I'll show you how much better the 103 can look via a decent projector on a 9ft screen. I replaced my £1200 Bluray player with the 103 purely based on the fact that makes it look like a I have a new projector. Also, CD's, including SACD's sound pretty amazing through a system we have set up in our main demo room - Audiolab 8200AP, Primare A30.7, PMC Twenty.24's with Twenty centre, and dual stacked Ken Kreisel DXD12012's. The power amp in this system rotates between the Primare A30.7, Audiolab 8200x7, and Bryston 9Bsst2. Whichever power amp we use, the system just sounds amazing, regardless of volume.

In fact, if anyone wants to pop in, feel free (not today, I'm not there!)

As others have said, all other reviews haven't given these players anything near a three star review, so it'll be interesting to find out why WHF disagrees. If a 103 can't get a 5 star review for £500, I can only assume we won't be seeing any 5 star reviews (or even 4 star) for any current Bluray players...

Have you had a chance to read the review yet then David?
smiley-smile.gif

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
He doesnt need to! He knows how good it is, cos he uses his ears and eyes.

Now must really get off and listen to my half star oppo 95, And set up my new sub( Which i auditioned along with a few others)

Lovely.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey Gel. Just noticed in your sig, you have an LX71.That was my first player!

Still got it under the telly in the sitting room. But there is no other option in a high end system(My home cinema) Than the 95.

Pioneer LX 71 a brilliant machine though.

D

Deleted member 2457

sogophonio11 said:
He doesnt need to! He knows how good it is, cos he uses his ears and eyes.

Now must really get off and listen to my half star oppo 95, And set up my new sub( Which i auditioned along with a few others)

Lovely.

Well perhaps he has missed something that the WHF team have picked up on. After all they are the expert reviewers and David said he will look at it before commenting, nothing wrong in that.

D

Deleted member 2457

sogophonio11 said:
Hey Gel. Just noticed in your sig, you have an LX71.That was my first player!

Still got it under the telly in the sitting room. But there is no other option in a high end system(My home cinema) Than the 95.

Pioneer LX 71 a brilliant machine though.

To right, it is fantastic Blu-ray player, cheers.
smiley-smile.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
LeeC22 said:
I'd much prefer them to stick to quantifiable facts, rather than flights of fantasy fiction. As a result, I'd take the opinions of the experienced shop owner/user, over this mag any day of the week... as long as they didn't resort to the same misplaced use of language of course.

Hifi / AV by it's nature has a huge subjective element and quantifiable facts don't always tell the whole story.....so what you are asking is difficult. I personally applaud the effort that goes into making the reviews readable and entertaining.

Helpful owners / users can give good insight, but often don't have a wide enough experience of what is available....as well as being inclined to push what they own as being the best option, whether approriate or not.

An experienced shop owner is very valuable, but will almost never recommend you go somewhere different to try kit that he doesn't sell.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
No we are the expert reviewers! Its all subjective, and its us who read the mags etc, and then part with our hard earned!

Most dealers love the hobby, and know what works and what doesnt! At the end of the day Gel, the eyes have it.

And no there is nothing wrong in what you say, its your opinion, my opinion, any ones opinion.

Its about what works for you.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

sogophonio11 said:
No we are the expert reviewers! Its all subjective, and its us who read the mags etc, and then part with our hard earned!

Most dealers love the hobby, and know what works and what doesnt! At the end of the day Gel, the eyes have it.

And no there is nothing wrong in what you say, its your opinion, my opinion, any ones opinion.

Its about what works for you.

Cheers

Yep, nice one.
smiley-smile.gif

abacus

The main problem with Oppo is that there are hardly any dealers where you can try them out.

Also reading through the posts the 103 is significantly more expensive than most of the Blu-Rays it is compared with, so while it may be great for what you pay for it, it is probably way above what most people can afford. (So no matter how good it is, it is just not an option for most)

This may be why it only gets 3 stars compared to the cheaper (But brilliant for the price) players.

Bill

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Old monitor audio fast bass out, new Kef R400 in: Basic set ups done, now off for a weekend of fun with my what hi fi system!

Seriously. I have used the mag for nearly twenty years, it has proved invaluable many times.I trust the team and the contributors, and many a time they have pointed me to equipment, that along with other publications etc, helped me make an informed choice.

End of the day it was me auditioning all this kit, that lead to the correct purchase. Its only an opinion after all yeah?

One mans meat and all that!

Ime off now in hibernation! New kit to enjoy.

Really good weekend all of you.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
sogophonio11 said:
Now must really get off and listen to my half star oppo 95, And set up my new sub

Oh, come on. That's twice now you've mentioned your "half star oppo 95", which you know fine well got five stars in this magazine and elsewhere, including a Reference Status rating in Home Cinema magazine in its August 2011 issue.

Which subwoofer did you get, by the way?

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Right this is really it for this weekend guys!!!

Son_of_SJ; Trying to inject some humour here, that was all!

Check da sig out.

Twas a Kef R400.Which i am going to attend to right now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts