OooooOOOOooooh.... Kef LS50s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
Baring in mind it was only an off the cuff visit, so had to take what amplification that was readily available... they hooked them up to a Naim Uniti and sadly I knew very quickly I didn't like them at all.

To be fair, after living with Harbeth SHL5 I doubted they would come even close, but I was surprised how grainy and forward they were and the base was very flabby. I'm sure with better amplification there would be an improvement, but I doubt enough for a purchase.

Sorry to hear that Mac.....it's a shame you didn't hear them at their best.

Oh well, it's no harm that people realize that these speakers are not a cure all solution and it highlights that system matching is crucial.

Very true. I'm still glad to have got to hear them for myself though, all be it, with less than ideal matching components.

The guy did offer me a demof some PMC 20 22's, but as I knew I'm not seriously considering buying, I didn't want to waste his time.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Very true. I'm still glad to have got to hear them for myself though, all be it, with less than ideal matching components.

The guy did offer me a demof some PMC 20 22's, but as I knew I'm not seriously considering buying, I didn't want to waste his time.

Mac

The same experience could happen with the Refs, as they are much more ruthless than the LS50s......I'm not a fan of Naim amps (well not since my match with a 42/110/Snaps + LP12); though today I'm off to a Naim / Focal / Rega / Chord demo day in Belfast, so maybe they can change my mind.

Personally, I would only match them with the likes of Pathos, McIntosh, Electro, Plinius Class A etc.. I'd love to hear them with Bryston, as David keeps on about this, but I suspect I would prefer my list.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I hear what you're saying Cno.

I was thinking this yesterday, but the trouble is, I wouldn't be able to take my own amp and a store like seven Oaks is limited in choice of amplification. So I wouldn't be sure which one to ask them to pair the Refs with.

Mac

Larry

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
"..but I was surprised how grainy and forward they were and the base was very flabby."

I agree with you, heard the LS50 first time with Naim Uniti and also found them grainy in the midrange especially when you turn up the volume. But I ended up buying them some time later and use them with my Heed Pre/PS amp setup and the grain is gone, they sound great. I think it´s a speaker for small rooms or in a desk-setup as mine, there they work best. In my view they are also quite revealing and show the weakness in your system, therefor a quality audiosignal from DAC / CD player and good amplification is very important.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
FWIW. I bought the LS50s because they weren't analytical (to my ears)..........

I didn't know you had got some LS50's now too. What system are you using them in Cno? Please tell me you haven't downsized from the reference series?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I just get the feeling that if Bought the LS50s I'd be analysing every track, rather than enjoying the music. Whereas with the GX100s, although little more upfront in presentation, I could close the eyes and just let the music wash over me.
I never found that when I had them. All I enjoyed was the extra control and immediacy that you normally hear with good headphones, as well as their ability to draw no attention to themselves, unlike many speakers on the market - I put that partly down to the cabinet, but also down to the UniQ driver, as I think other manufacturer's speakers can sometimes draw attention to themselves when they haven't got the driver integration correct.

[/Quote]There could also be an outside chance that Kef speakers may not be for me...[/quote]There is that of course :)

David@FrankHarvey said:
plastic penguin said:
I just get the feeling that if Bought the LS50s I'd be analysing every track, rather than enjoying the music. Whereas with the GX100s, although little more upfront in presentation, I could close the eyes and just let the music wash over me.
I never found that when I had them. All I enjoyed was the extra control and immediacy that you normally hear with good headphones, as well as their ability to draw no attention to themselves, unlike many speakers on the market - I put that partly down to the cabinet, but also down to the UniQ driver, as I think other manufacturer's speakers can sometimes draw attention to themselves when they haven't got the driver integration correct.
There could also be an outside chance that Kef speakers may not be for me...[/quote]There is that of course :)

[/quote]

Also remember that I'd never heard the A19 before then or the Audiolab, apart from one brief moment about a year ago. So perhaps with a home dem over a weekend my views would be a little different. They sounded really good in a number of areas, not quite up to the mark with other areas.

Not sure anyone should draw any conclusions with the exception, perhaps, of a second dem

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Briefly heard a pair this afternoon alongside GX100s. Interesting.

The amp was Arcam A19 connected to Audiolab 8200 (wonder where they got that idea? :shifty: ).

Remember I'm not familiar with the amp, CD or speakers, although did hear the MAs connected to a Cyrus kit.

In terms of detail resolution and dynamics the LS50s lived up to the hype 100%. (Quite like the quirky looks and the Dale Winton coloured drivers). Have to say the whole soundstage for such a small speaker was pretty impressive, creating a fine 3D sonic picture.

Switch to the GX100s and the theme continued in a similar vain; the detail levels pretty much on par. However, spin some "dirty, filthy rock" and the Kefs seemed slightly reticent, by compasion. The MAs just seemed more able to pound out the beats better IMO. I know the cabinets are bigger on the MAs but the LS50s sounded a little too analytical for my tastes.

If it were my money between the two I'd probably plump for the GX100s.

This was one of my unplanned (surprise) dems so couldn't spend too much time analysing.
The more time you spend with KEF's the more you appreciate their quality......... 8) Good amplification does count.

To right it does! It make or breaks a pair of speakers. Many underestimate the importance of decent amplification

busb said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
Briefly heard a pair this afternoon alongside GX100s. Interesting.

The amp was Arcam A19 connected to Audiolab 8200 (wonder where they got that idea? :shifty: ).

Remember I'm not familiar with the amp, CD or speakers, although did hear the MAs connected to a Cyrus kit.

In terms of detail resolution and dynamics the LS50s lived up to the hype 100%. (Quite like the quirky looks and the Dale Winton coloured drivers). Have to say the whole soundstage for such a small speaker was pretty impressive, creating a fine 3D sonic picture.

Switch to the GX100s and the theme continued in a similar vain; the detail levels pretty much on par. However, spin some "dirty, filthy rock" and the Kefs seemed slightly reticent, by compasion. The MAs just seemed more able to pound out the beats better IMO. I know the cabinets are bigger on the MAs but the LS50s sounded a little too analytical for my tastes.

If it were my money between the two I'd probably plump for the GX100s.

This was one of my unplanned (surprise) dems so couldn't spend too much time analysing.
The more time you spend with KEF's the more you appreciate their quality......... 8) Good amplification does count.

To right it does! It make or breaks a pair of speakers. Many underestimate the importance of decent amplification

Yup - the Leema should power the LS50s at a breeze.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
@Gregvet and PP.

For the last year or so, I have been using the pre-outs of the AVR600 into the AMS35i (driving 205/2s) for Front L&R. This is workable, but messy. ie. It's complicated for the rest of the family (two volumes to worry about); dangerous if 2 channel is switched on, without turning back the volume on the 35i; and expensive as the Class A amp draws so much power.

I have now connected the LS50s into the AVR600 to cope with Front L&R, leaving my 2 channel system (MDS + 35i + 205/2s) totally independent.

I haven't come to a firm conclusion as my AVR600 has to go back to Arcam for a modification to cure a biasing problem that causes overheating. Initial listening would sugest that I will be very happy.

I was trying to go with R100s, but the LS50s were so much better that they were a no-brainer.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Macspur said:
To be fair, after living with Harbeth SHL5 I doubted they would come even close, but I was surprised how grainy and forward they were and the base was very flabby. I'm sure with better amplification there would be an improvement, but I doubt enough for a purchase.

Forward maybe - they do tend to sound more immediate and vivid than other speakers. Grainy - I can only put that down to the Naim. I've never heard them sound grainy. Their treble reminds me of Reference, which is a total opposite to grainy! :)

The only time I have found the LS50's not to my personal liking was when using them with the Marantz PM6004 and Naim Nait 5Si which are just insufficient in my personal opinion, and the Brio-R which just tends to soften them a little for my taste - I prefer a more forward sound, particularly with certain speakers that I have used at home and know the characteristics of. But just because I say that, you may feel differently about those combinations :)

Edited 9/11/2013 - to clear up any misunderstandings.

TRENDING THREADS