OooooOOOOooooh.... Kef LS50s

Briefly heard a pair this afternoon alongside GX100s. Interesting.

The amp was Arcam A19 connected to Audiolab 8200 (wonder where they got that idea? :shifty: ).

Remember I'm not familiar with the amp, CD or speakers, although did hear the MAs connected to a Cyrus kit.

In terms of detail resolution and dynamics the LS50s lived up to the hype 100%. (Quite like the quirky looks and the Dale Winton coloured drivers). Have to say the whole soundstage for such a small speaker was pretty impressive, creating a fine 3D sonic picture.

Switch to the GX100s and the theme continued in a similar vain; the detail levels pretty much on par. However, spin some "dirty, filthy rock" and the Kefs seemed slightly reticent, by compasion. The MAs just seemed more able to pound out the beats better IMO. I know the cabinets are bigger on the MAs but the LS50s sounded a little too analytical for my tastes.

If it were my money between the two I'd probably plump for the GX100s.

This was one of my unplanned (surprise) dems so couldn't spend too much time analysing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Glad you got to hear them.....though I would point a finger at the Audiolab for making them sound a little analytical.

I know it's subjective, but they are yet to sound analytical whenever I've heard them, as I avoid this at all costs.

The MAs sounded 'right' to my ears. Now whether that's because of my old chestnut about Arcam and MAs being a cracking combo or if it was something more fundamental, couldn't really say without the Leema being there.

In some respects the LS50s were awesome, but weren't the ideal all-rounder I was hoping to hear. This is just my opinion.

To my ears PMC DB1is are a more balanced all-rounder than the Kefs.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I've heard the LS50s few times including Bristol. They sounded very good & look pretty but saying they look like Dale W is pretty insulting to KEF - I mean come on.. :rofl:
At least they don't have horrid silver coloured drivers but am not familiar with how the GX100s sound.
However, the speakers I've heard with ribbon tweeters like Aurum's have been very engaging.
Shudder - can't get this vision of Dale W's face out of my mind now (not that I've got much against the guy, as it happens)

busb said:
I've heard the LS50s few times including Bristol. They sounded very good & look pretty but saying they look like Dale W is pretty insulting to KEF - I mean come on.. :rofl: At least they don't have horrid silver coloured drivers but am not familiar with how the GX100s sound. However, the speakers I've heard with ribbon tweeters like Aurum's have been very engaging. Shudder - can't get this vision of Dale W's face out of my mind now (not that I've got much against the guy, as it happens)

Hehe...

Have to admit those ribbon tweeters on the MAs are fugly. Looks like they've stuck a spirit level in the front. :grin:

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
:boohoo:

To my ears PMC DB1is are a more balanced all-rounder than the Kefs.

[/quote] Me too !Heard ls50 and Db1i on the end of audiolab ,naim and Cyrus gear,much preferred Db1's .Warmer ,smoother better tonal balance.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I also heard the LS50 vs. GX100 and very much preferred the latter. Main issue with the KEFs was a boomy bass, but as David tought me, that was most likely due to the amplifier (a CA integrated in my case; can't remember the type), rather than the speakers themselves. So if anything, the LS50s need well matched amplification.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
The GX100s must have been stunning, if they were worth £450 more. :rockout:

This is why, perhaps, it was a little unfair. But as these were the only two he had in his dem room, so just gave the appraisal on available (rigged up) stock.

BTW, saw, not heard, the B&W CM10. gawd they're big.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Briefly heard a pair this afternoon alongside GX100s. Interesting.

The amp was Arcam A19 connected to Audiolab 8200 (wonder where they got that idea? :shifty: ).

Remember I'm not familiar with the amp, CD or speakers, although did hear the MAs connected to a Cyrus kit.

In terms of detail resolution and dynamics the LS50s lived up to the hype 100%. (Quite like the quirky looks and the Dale Winton coloured drivers). Have to say the whole soundstage for such a small speaker was pretty impressive, creating a fine 3D sonic picture.

Switch to the GX100s and the theme continued in a similar vain; the detail levels pretty much on par. However, spin some "dirty, filthy rock" and the Kefs seemed slightly reticent, by compasion. The MAs just seemed more able to pound out the beats better IMO. I know the cabinets are bigger on the MAs but the LS50s sounded a little too analytical for my tastes.

This was one of my unplanned (surprise) dems so couldn't spend too much time analysing.

The more time you spend with KEF's the more you appreciate their quality......... 8)

Good amplification does count.

Easy chaps. This wasn't really meant to be "LS50s are c**p" thread. Based on the set-up I heard the LS50s, when playing driving rock, came up just a little short when compared to the GX100s. Just thought I'd share what I heard yesterday.

How would they sound with the Leema? No idea.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Easy chaps. This wasn't really meant to be "LS50s are c**p" thread. Based on the set-up I heard the LS50s, when playing driving rock, came up just a little short when compared to the GX100s. Just thought I'd share what I heard yesterday.

I hope my post didn't come across as anything other than surprise. You were the only one there and I certainly wouldn't question what you heard....only try and explain it (ie. part system, part room and part taste).

I would expect the RX100s to have stronger bass and be harder hitting when it comes to rock, than the LS50s, which tend to be detailed but more polite. .....which is why I like them.

I have found that the LS50s seem to make everything enjoyable, maybe at the expense of getting "down and dirty" enough (for some tastes), with certain genres of music.

A lot of the time it's what you're used to, so getting comfortable with a different presentation can take time.....and even then it may not happen.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I hope my post didn't come across as anything other than surprise. You were the only one there and I certainly wouldn't question what you heard....only try and explain it (ie. part system, part room and part taste).

I would expect the RX100s to have stronger bass and be harder hitting when it comes to rock, than the LS50s, which tend to be detailed but more polite. .....which is why I like them.

I have found that the LS50s seem to make everything enjoyable, maybe at the expense of getting "down and dirty" enough (for some tastes), with certain genres of music.

A lot of the time it's what you're used to, so getting comfortable with a different presentation can take time.....and even then it may not happen.

I just get the feeling that if Bought the LS50s I'd be analysing every track, rather than enjoying the music. Whereas with the GX100s, although little more upfront in presentation, I could close the eyes and just let the music wash over me.

Ironically the manager said the speaker he'd like me to hear wasn't in stock: The speaker was B&W CM5. Make of that what you will.

There could also be an outside chance that Kef speakers may not be for me...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Yes of course there is.

FWIW. I bought the LS50s because they weren't analytical (to my ears)..........you will never know for sure until you drop them into your system at your home.....but you are too wise an old bird not to know this.

Though if I had to guess, I don't think they would have enough scale for you, after having lived with floorstanders.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Yes of course there is.

FWIW. I bought the LS50s because they weren't analytical (to my ears)..........you will never know for sure until you drop them into your system at your home.....but you are too wise an old bird not to know this.

Though if I had to guess, I don't think they would have enough scale for you, after having lived with floorstanders.

Of course I won't know until they're rigged up to my kit, that's why I haven't written them off.

FWIW, as mentioned earlier in the thread, wasn't totally blown away by the MAs either. When I first heard them last year (same shop BTW) against the RX6s, just found the midrange of the GX100s wasn't as expressive as the RX/RSs and seemed to play it (not sure of the right word) a little too one dimensional. Still not convinced by the ribbon tweeter, either.

One thing my system has in abundance is fun - immediately brings a smile to your face, almost quirky or "Kookie" sounding, without thinking about whether it's the most precise sounding set-up.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Think it's also important to put on record that when the time comes to seriously change the MAs I WILL NOT take the RS6s to the dem room. I want to judge any new speaker on its own merits, and not have the MA chain around the neck.

Any replacement speakers have to knock the RS6s into touch, or they are not worth changing for.

You know what you like, which I believe is something along the lines of:

- Fun and lively wihout being aggressive

- Detailed but not analytical

- Enough bass to convey a reasonable sense of scale

- Have to allow a connection with the music

- Able to conjure up a realistic 3D image

I'll keep my eye out.....maybe some Taga Harmony. :shifty:

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Think it's also important to put on record that when the time comes to seriously change the MAs I WILL NOT take the RS6s to the dem room. I want to judge any new speaker on its own merits, and not have the MA chain around the neck.

Any replacement speakers have to knock the RS6s into touch, or they are not worth changing for.

You know what you like, which I believe is something along the lines of:

- Fun and lively wihout being aggressive

- Detailed but not analytical

- Enough bass to convey a reasonable sense of scale

- Have to allow a connection with the music

- Able to conjure up a realistic 3D image

I'll keep my eye out.....maybe some Taga Harmony. :shifty:

I did the exact same thing before buying the Leema. When it came auditioning I left the A65+ at home, and just compared with Roksan Caspian. Then once I had it on home dem took the Leema into a Naim dealership (Audio-T) and heard it against the XS.

Being an old penguin means you have a few tricks up your feathery sleeve. :shifty:

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Whilst in town today, while the wife was searching for a dress, my brother in law and I decided to pop into seven Oaks S&V just on the off chance they might have the KEF Ref 205-2, but sadly not.
So I asked if they had the LS50, as this is another model I've heard so much about, I thought I'd take up the offer of a demo.
Baring in mind it was only an off the cuff visit, so had to take what amplification that was readily available... they hooked them up to a Naim Uniti and sadly I knew very quickly I didn't like them at all.
To be fair, after living with Harbeth SHL5 I doubted they would come even close, but I was surprised how grainy and forward they were and the base was very flabby.
I'm sure with better amplification there would be an improvement, but I doubt enough for a purchase.
I did look at the R500, but didn't have time to hear... looked lovely, but again rear ported, which is a no go and that's why, with their front ports, I do still want to hear the 205-2 and when the time comes, I will make sure and make an appointment.
Mac

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:
Whilst in town today, while the wife was searching for a dress, my brother in law and I decided to pop into seven Oaks S&V just on the off chance they might have the KEF Ref 205-2, but sadly not. So I asked if they had the LS50, as this is another model I've heard so much about, I thought I'd take up the offer of a demo. Baring in mind it was only an off the cuff visit, so had to take what amplification that was readily available... they hooked them up to a Naim Uniti and sadly I knew very quickly I didn't like them at all. To be fair, after living with Harbeth SHL5 I doubted they would come even close, but I was surprised how grainy and forward they were and the base was very flabby. I'm sure with better amplification there would be an improvement, but I doubt enough for a purchase. I did look at the R500, but didn't have time to hear... looked lovely, but again rear ported, which is a no go and that's why, with their front ports, I do still want to hear the 205-2 and when the time comes, I will make sure and make an appointment. Mac

Do it, you won't be disapointed. Sounds as though CNO is going to be able to buy the missus a nice Chrissy present this year! ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Baring in mind it was only an off the cuff visit, so had to take what amplification that was readily available... they hooked them up to a Naim Uniti and sadly I knew very quickly I didn't like them at all.

To be fair, after living with Harbeth SHL5 I doubted they would come even close, but I was surprised how grainy and forward they were and the base was very flabby. I'm sure with better amplification there would be an improvement, but I doubt enough for a purchase.

Sorry to hear that Mac.....it's a shame you didn't hear them at their best.

Oh well, it's no harm that people realize that these speakers are not a cure all solution and it highlights that system matching is crucial.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts