John Duncan

...shiny*

IMG_1742.jpg

* if somewhat poorly lit and badly focussed

First impressions to come, but really rather different...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Will the StreamMagic 'talk' to the TuneIn Radio Pro app?

(The best internet radio experience in terms of sound quality and usability I have ever known.)

Does the StreamMagic have FM? (I know, I know.. but I want to continue to have FM as an option until the bu###rs switch it off.)

John Duncan

It's not Airplay-enabled. Whether or not that could be added via firmware (and licensing permitting, presumably?) I don't know. However, I have an airport express so have 'airplay-enabled' it that way.

The internet radio functionality (there is no FM) is good as it is though - I've got TuneIn, but what particular aspects impress you that you might be worried about? Linn and Radio 3 (my benchmarks for sonics, if not content) sound superb btw.

John Duncan

The_Lhc said:
John Duncan said:
The_Lhc said:
...from what exactly?

A NaimUniti.

Ah I see. Only a three "O" review so far though? Bit disappointing?

No, just different. As I just said to somebody else:

Give me some more time with it to do a full appraisal as it's very different from the Uniti; it seems to extend the frequency response in both directions so is both 'brighter' and 'bassier' than I'm used to. In some respects this makes it more forward than I might normally choose, but I'm already seeing benefits in terms of ability to differentiate higher resolution content, for example. Might make me sort out my library a bit better for starters so I'm not just streaming Spotify all the time... :-D

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
...shiny*

IMG_1742.jpg

* if somewhat poorly lit and badly focussed

First impressions to come, but really rather different...
sounds really rather excellent as well. most impressed.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
Will the StreamMagic 'talk' to the TuneIn Radio Pro app?

As John points out, the Stream Magic 6 isn't Airplay enabled. However, just like the DacMagic Plus, it does support the optional BT100 (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to this but you can see it on our website).

The BT100 is a wireless audio receiver which supports aptX - by plugging it into one of the USB ports on the Stream Magic 6 you can stream any audio to it from devices that can output Bluetooth audio. So this is the easiest way to stream audio from any apps to the Stream Magic 6.

I know, I know...Bluetooth!, but the received audio goes through all the same audio upsampling and DACs, etc as the other sources and digital inputs. Also, if the device outputs aptX (which more and more can now) then the BT100 will detect this, and it does sounds pretty awesome. The Stream Magic 6 simply sees the BT100 as another digital input which you can select and play

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
If you're not too cheap to buy the mag, yes...

I buy about a third to a half of the issues in any given year (the ones that have anything interesting to me in them). If there is too much about phones/tablets, tellies, 5.1/7.1 AV systems and iPod dock systems* I give it a miss.

Every couple of months I pass them onto a friend so I can read them again in future without cluttering up my own house :)

*With the exception of Geneva Lab stuff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts