Onkyo TXSR705 from US

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would liek to know if anybody has tried to purchase equipment from US, and if they are aware of any downfalls, I just came across this deal for an Onkyo TXSR705 for 630USD and 190USD 3-5 day delivery, this works to £365 inclusive of VAT for actual amplifier and about £94 delivery. I am quite tempted to use this route, but is there a good reason to pay at UK price of £599, ie specification differences?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484698-REG/Onkyo_TX_SR705S_TX_SR705_Home_Theater_Receiver.html

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No major spec differences, but...

It will of course be a US voltage unit, which will require a step-down transformer, and this will cost you about £50-100 for a decent unit and still have unpredictable effects on the performance.

You'll also get hit for about 22% or so VAT and duty, the delivery could be delayed for a while in customs, and the shipping company may well also charge you a fee to administer this. I once got a company trying to hit me for £45 to administer a customs/duty fee of £11. Not sure how the VAT inclusive thing from that US site would work, but be prepared to have a wrangle with HMCE over VAT and duty.

So you could be into £500 or so for the receiver, plus £50-£100 for the transformer, and I'm not sure how you'd stand if anything went wrong. You might find it had to go back to the States for repair.

I really don't think it's worth it...

A

Anonymous

i would listen to him ...... i think he knows wat he is talking about .

A

Anonymous

What this does demonstrate though is just how much we're getting charged over the odds for this equipment. I'd be very interested in a 705, but the pricing needs some attention first...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts