Yamaha Z11 cheap from the US - is it worthwhile?

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
I have been offered the Yamaha Z11 for 800$ from the US.

This is some deal! Even with Danish import tax and a 25% vat it is still very cheap.

But now the question, is it worthwhile? I have not been able to figure out the difference between the US and EU model (if any), but I know at least the difference in power supply can often be a problem (110V as opposed to 230V). And presumably the radio is not always working in Europe either.

The dealer has assured me that it will be no problem plugging it into the European power net, but I am not completely convinced. So far I have not been able to get any feedback from Yamaha.

If anyone could enlighten me about the differences between the regions and potential complication I would very much appreciate it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You'll need a transformer, which may well affect the sound, the radio may not work, and there may be some standards problems on the video side if you're planning on running any analogue video through it.

Oh, and if it goes wrong you'll probably have to ship it back to the States for service.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
is it from a genuine dealer? I think back in the day the genuine service network used to refuse to service parallel 'grey' imports, but I know that's no-longer the case with cars - not sure what the position is on a/v equipment. What's your actual percentage saving going to be, once you add in the cost of the import duties, VAT, transformers (robots in disguise) etc?

A

Anonymous

Hi TKratz,

Do you have a link to the dealer /website / etc? Would be keen to see the details in full as does seem a very good offer?

Thanks

James

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
It sounds a bit suspect to me. There were imports on Ebay a while ago at £2999 which is about £1000 off the mark from the UK price so if you are seeing it at $800 dollars I would be suspicious. Even allowing for different market prices and the dealer selling below cost it is very very cheap.

Nick

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your replies Andrew and Big Aura

Even with Danish tax (4%) and import vat (25%) the price is still only around 14% (5600 DKr) of the cheapest dealer I have been able to find in Denmark (40.000 DKr). But that is of course no good if I can't use it.

The transformator is what worries me most. Some equipments can actually handle both voltages, but I think you are right Andrew that I will likely need a transformator (in contrast to the statement of the dealer). I still hope to hear from Yamaha.

And speaking about the dealer I unfortunately have no link. It was an eBay auction which has expired now. The dealer had a very good reputation on eBay, but I do admit that it smells a little like 'grey erea'. I am therefore not expecting any kind of insurrance in case I make the deal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts