Onkyo TX-SR875 (still going strong!) HDMI video output quality in the modern age

hellboyberry

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
What year is this!? ;-)

My Onkyo TX-SR875 AVR is still going strong. A miracle I know.

Currently i'm only using it with audio inputs from various sources and everything works a treat. My Samsung TV outputs DTS & DD via optical, and I consume most of my television/movies via smart apps (Netflix, Plex etc).

I am about to purchase an Xbox One S and understand that it will only output DTS-HD and TrueHD (albeit encoded as PCM) via HDMI.

My question is this: does anyone have any opinions/experience on how well the aging HDMI video output fairs with the 875 connected to modern (relatively) high-end equipment?

Am I better off connecting the xbox directly to the TV (HDMI) and then either outputting audio via the TVs optical (or via optical direct from the xbox) and sacrificing HD audio OR connecting HDMI to the receiver and potentially sacrificing video quality?

I think I do the former, and obviously i'll just run some comparison tests when I get the xbox, but in anticipation of that day I would appreciate any insite anyone might have.

Many thanks,
John

We have members here with AV receivers as old as yours (like gel). Why would you sacrifice video quality by connecting your source (like XBOX) to HDMI of AV receiver? You can leave the picture unaltered by the receiver.

Connect all sources to the AV receiver via HDMI, and AV receiver to TV via HDMI. That's your best option. You'll lose HD audio otherwise.

hellboyberry

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Bigboss.

My only concern with hooking it up "traditionally" (Xbox HDMI to receiver, receiver HDMI to TV) is the ageing HDMI profiles.

The Onkyo is only HDMI 1.3 - the new xbox is HDMI 2.0a. 3D is not a massive issue - for that one time I want to watch Tron, i'll hook it up directly *biggrin*. I don't have a 4K TV yet so that's not a problem either. But I did hear that there is sometimes a problem with the refresh rate (Hz) of the xbox one via older model receivers to newer model televisions. Just curious if anyone has experienced such issues?

Bigboss - your recomendation is to turn off all ageing upscaling software in the onkyo, let the xbox take care of all that and just pass through the video signal. You can't see any reason why I might lose out on any quality? (for the record: I can't)

If i put the Samsung TV into game mode in this set up (for the AVR input), does it still eradicate any lag (even though the console isn't connected directly)?

Please excuse my stoopid questions *crazy*

D

Deleted member 2457

I thought Onkyo amps were dodgy! This proofs they are not, well not all of them.
thumbs_up.gif

hellboyberry

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I can't comment on Onkyo's modern day AVRs or amps but this bad boy was king back in 2008. I had to replace a couple of resistors as the display died (a not uncommon complaint) but other than that it still runs like a dream. A very powerful (and musical!) AVR.

I guess they really don't make 'em like they used to.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
My 875 is still going fine and it is used everyday as my Kuro has no speakers. No repairs so far. It is well ventilated, but I have not done anything else to prolong life. My Arcam Delta is still working fine too. As far as I am concerned, a relatively expensive amp with no moving parts should last at least 10 years.

D

Deleted member 2457

hellboyberry said:
I can't comment on Onkyo's modern day AVRs or amps but this bad boy was king back in 2008. I had to replace a couple of resistors as the display died (a not uncommon complaint) but other than that it still runs like a dream. A very powerful (and musical!) AVR.

I guess they really don't make 'em like they used to.
I went for a demo of it at AVLand as my Dad was interested in it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts