ONKYO TX SR505

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I am waiting to get the delivery of my new TV (Panasonic TH46PZ85) and I have realised that I will have about 3 component video sources (nintendo wii, PSP and PS2) that I wouldn't like to keep plugging anf unplugging from the back of my TV.....however I will be buying an onkyo TX SR505 shortly (or the new model TX SR506 not decide yet) which as far as I have understood should be able to work as video switcher on top of AV receiver of course.
So I have 2 questions....
1)does the onkyo work as an AV switcher for component video cables? if yes....
2)will the new model be a better AV switcher? (i.e. the current model accept only 2 component video cable instead the new model will accept 3)

Many Thanks in advance

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, I think you've answered your own questions there! But to confirm, yes the Onkyo will work as an AV switcher for component video cables. I don't think the new model will be a "better" switcher (it doesn't do any processing or upscaling on the picture), but it might be a better amp - won't know until it's been reviewed (or someone on the forums has a listen to both and tells us).

From what I can see on the specs sheet though, it's the 505 which accepts 3 component connections whereas the 506 only accepts 2...

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your reply.
you are absolutely right the 506 has got only 2 component...which it does not make sense to me...anyway....as I have a ps3 and it will accept dts-hd thanks to the next firmware update which should be available today I think that I will go for the 605 or 606 (depending on the price) instead

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My guess is, Onkyo are betting on HDMI taking over from component on newer systems, thus they've cut down the number of component inputs to increase the number of HDMI inputs. And I think they're probably right to do so...

A

Anonymous

Yes you are right that HDMi is the future but for many of my game systems... component is still the best available option...having said that....when I switch on my PS3 on HDMI....it's so miles better!!!