onkyo tx-sr505??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i have read several reviews about this and i keep coming across the fact that it has HDMI inputs and output, but says it doesn't output HDMI sound?!

Can someone explain this please?!

Does this mean if i have a bluray player going into it via HDMI I'll get no sound out of the Onkyo?!

Any help would be great!!

also any sugestions on a speaker package for under £200?!

daveh75

no, it accepts hdmi audio but doesn't output it. so you'll get sound from a blu-ray player through the onkyo, but the onkyo wont allow pass through of audio.

so if you was then to connect the onkyo to a tv via hdmi you would get a picture on the tv but no sound out of the tv itself,if that makes sense.

speakers for under 200 notes! try these

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Sorry Dave but that's incorrect - the Onkyo 505/6 will pass-through both video and audio through HDMI, meaning that if you connect the receiver to a TV then you'll get both picture and sound through the TV speakers (Quote from 506 manual - 'Audio and video signals received by the HDMI IN jacks are output only by the HDMI OUT.')

So the 505/6 does pass through both audio and video from HDMI, but if you plan on doing that there's frankly no point in having a receiver at all! To be able to get sound from the speaker system connected to your 505, you need to make another, separate audio connection (optical, coaxial or multichannel analog, for instance).

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I think the confusion here is coming from HDMI/HD sound.

The Onkyo has got an HDMI input, so can - for example - accept HD sound from a Blu-ray player/PS3. What it can't do is decode it itself, as it has no onboard HD Audio decoding -so you'd have to get your player to decode on board and output as PCM.

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Bear in mind, Clare, that the Onkyo 505/6 models do not accept LPCM audio via HDMI - you need to bob up to 576 or higher to get this feature. So decoded or undecoded, the Onk can't play HD audio from HDMI. This is stated specifically in the user manual.

I have a 506 myself, and connect my PS3 to it via optical and therefore get only the core DD/DTS tracks (which suits me fine).

daveh75

Liam19:

Sorry Dave but that's incorrect - the Onkyo 505/6 will pass-through both video and audio through HDMI, meaning that if you connect the receiver to a TV then you'll get both picture and sound through the TV speakers (Quote from 506 manual - 'Audio and video signals received by the HDMI IN jacks are output only by the HDMI OUT.')

yeah sorry i stand corrected, i was going of the spec's rather than the manual and confused myself tbh.

but as you say it's kinda pointless having a receiver if your gonna pass through signal to get sound through the tv

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts