onkyo tx-nr609

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just bought the new Onkyo 609 stupidly without hearing it as there was no sound room at Richer Sounds Brighton branch !! (there once was ) based on the track record I have read about on the 608 .II was talked into buying the 609 by a staff member but I must say I am disappointed in the sound I have it hooked up to an impressive set up , with quality wiring, and have replaced a older Yamaha non HDMI AX 750se which had an awesome sound but unfortunately after many years died on me ! The ONKYO I have played around with for many many many hours trying to simulate the presence warmth attack and solidness of the Yamaha but I just cannot do it , it is clinical precise but lacks warmth and mid range prowess , it leans to a very treble sound and does not have the natural sound of the Yamaha. Annoyingly my old NAD 304 sounds a zillion times better playing music CD's I have been told to let it wear in and warm up for longer and see if it sounds better , I cannot imagine this happening and am totally frustrated at wasting my time efforts and cash and am wondering whether I should have actually bought a Pioneer . The more expensive LX83 .The ONKYO has all the gizmos and on paper looks awesome but Im not convinced I havent made a mistake , my ears are more reliable than any reviews (yet to see one saying that) .I eagerly await what hi fis review out this Tuesday for the ONKYO just 5 days !!! The problem seems to be these days with so little sound room availability is being able to audition something before parting with large amounts of cash. Can anyone offer me any advice what to go for or comment to this ??

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
brightonjournalist said:
I just bought the new Onkyo 609 stupidly without hearing it as there was no sound room at Richer Sounds Brighton branch !! (there once was ) based on the track record I have read about on the 608 .II was talked into buying the 609 by a staff member but I must say I am disappointed in the sound I have it hooked up to an impressive set up , with quality wiring, and have replaced a older Yamaha non HDMI AX 750se which had an awesome sound but unfortunately after many years died on me ! The ONKYO I have played around with for many many many hours trying to simulate the presence warmth attack and solidness of the Yamaha but I just cannot do it , it is clinical precise but lacks warmth and mid range prowess , it leans to a very treble sound and does not have the natural sound of the Yamaha. Annoyingly my old NAD 304 sounds a zillion times better playing music CD's I have been told to let it wear in and warm up for longer and see if it sounds better , I cannot imagine this happening and am totally frustrated at wasting my time efforts and cash and am wondering whether I should have actually bought a Pioneer . The more expensive LX83 .The ONKYO has all the gizmos and on paper looks awesome but Im not convinced I havent made a mistake , my ears are more reliable than any reviews (yet to see one saying that) .I eagerly await what hi fis review out this Tuesday for the ONKYO just 5 days !!! The problem seems to be these days with so little sound room availability is being able to audition something before parting with large amounts of cash. Can anyone offer me any advice what to go for or comment to this ??

I think you're expecting too much of a modern @£400-£500 AV receiver. However good any receiver is at that price, it's not going to match the performance of dedicated hi-fi separates with music.

Your Yamaha in its day (2004) was also an exceptional stereo performer - as our five-star review at the time pointed out. Remember, products back then had to do far less for the money, too - you were paying @£500 just for stereo and 5.1 performance!

If you want a step-up all-rounder, you're going to need to spend more - the Pioneer 'LX83 is certainly a brilliant machines, but this time make sure you demo before you buy! However many reviews you read, there's no substitiute for ears-on experience.

Also, it's worth talking to Richer Sounds about returning the Onkyo - they're typically v.good re exchanges/refunds if a product doesn't work out (especially as you couldn't dem it).

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The 609 is superb for the money and soundwise does a very good job. It is not competition for the Pioneer LX83 though. The Pioneer is at a different level altogether. I would speak to RS, you might be surprised how they help you.
As David mentions most dealers do have demonstration facilities and you would be wise to track one down before buying the LX-83.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
brightonjournalist said:
The ONKYO has all the gizmos and on paper looks awesome but Im not convinced I havent made a mistake , my ears are more reliable than any reviews (yet to see one saying that).
I've made the point many times that (no disrespect to the WHF team) a review is a personal opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. Your own opinion is more important as you're the one who has to live with the product. Use others opinions as a guide, but trust your own.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No disrespect taken - considering we say the very same regularly here, and in EVERY SINGLE ISSUE OF THE MAGAZINE :p

Though a slight amendment - our reviews are done by a team, so it's more a 'team' than 'personal' opinion :)

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thats irresponsible of them to suggest something to you that you could not demo. I would take it back to Richer Sounds and tell them that you was not happy with the advice given and you was mislead into believing this was something you would like. They will have no problem taking it back on those grounds.

It could be as Clare mentioned above - you may expect too much for the price you paid or it could be you are not an Onkyo fan. In which case, I would look at something like a Denon 2311.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for these posts and advice , can anyone then recommend something to equal my Yamaha , which price bracket of Yamahas would equal the sound of the old model thats broken ? I cannot stress enough how gutted I am it broke , I had it repaired but 3 weeks later it went again , now they're talking asbout replacing all sorts of boards inside so would seem silly to not upgrade to the latest hdmi fittings etc . It' s so hard to say what something sounds like till you get it home and hook it up to your own speakers , my front 2 are TDL RTL 3 , centre and rears are mordant short . Maybe I should have just got a second hand Yamaha of same model from E bay instead of paying for a repair that lasted 3 weeks ? Im totally confused now . I want that same warmth , attack , presence , solidness and natural ability that my Yamaha had. For some reason the Onkyos un natural sound seems to detach me from my viewing pleasure , the Yamaha immersed me so much you were just gripped in the action ,and didn't think about the sound perhaps I am too conscious of the difference and its irritating me . Either way I would rather spend more to get what I want than waste my money on something that I will surely regret . What is the sound of the Yamaha 6107 like ? How much do I need to upgrade to get the sound Im looking for ? The Onkyo also seems to sound better and more mid when it's really loud , whilst the yamaha had detail and presence at lower volumes also , It seems crazy that Im comparing he sound of a brand new HDMI amp to a much older one yet the older non HDMI one sounds so much better .When I bought my yamaha it was a much smaller market , I would have thought that selling so many more and the improvements in technology that they would have gotten better and cheaper , I have a feeling that I am going to have to spend some serious cash to come close to what was standard those years ago / seems nuts to me ?

A

Anonymous

I just wanted to add I dont think I am expecting too much for my money as 550 can buy you a decent plasma screen Tv now , I think it would be normal to expect an awesome sound with warmth , detail , good mid range ,and be able to play music through it and be able to watch something without raising the roof and being made homeless ? i think this area is a total minefield considering people are parting with so much money , the decision is such an important one as you do have to live with the sound for years to come .

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Honestly, it seems you have very specific tastes (not a criticism!). You need to audition your next purchase if you want to ensure it produces a sound you enjoy - no one else can tell you what to buy, they can only offer suggestions. Simple as.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

I saw you’re unhappy with the receiver you’ve recently bought from us.

We do offer a 14 day exchange period, and we would of course be more than happy to take your receiver back if it’s not for you.

So that I can follow this through for you, please would you email me with your sale and contact details? My email address is john.p.clayton@richersounds.com.

Many thanks,

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

A

Anonymous

Once again that is superb customer service from Richer Sounds, I applaud you.

It's such a refreshing change from the usual angry rants normally associated with people on this little rocky outcrop we call England.

Bravo.

A

Anonymous

professorhat said:
Honestly, it seems you have very specific tastes (not a criticism!). You need to audition your next purchase if you want to ensure it produces a sound you enjoy - no one else can tell you what to buy, they can only offer suggestions. Simple as.

And I would suggest Having looked at your thread it seems to me you should definitely look at the Yamaha RX V667 or the newer version which is the RX V 671 I think.
I think it might have the touch of warmth detail and atmosphere you require. Very easy to use as well.

LOST

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
If you need a demo or get a refund at rs then go to sevenoaks at western road (near palmera square) as im pretty sure they have a demo room , and yes im from brighton too ! did you know they were there ?

A

Anonymous

yes i do know that shop they tend to stock the more high end stuff like arcam etc but they do have a few pioneers in stock there and ssome denons , but luckily for me I got a refund at Richer Sounds , and I payed for my old Yamaha to be repaired not cheap and am def keeping it as I dont think despite it not being hdmi and all that razzamatazz I am gonna beat the sound it produces for naturalness presence warmth detail , the works basically without spending serious cash and even then theres no guarantee I never realised I had such an awesome amplifier till I have looked at whats around . I noticed recently the review here now out in what hi fi current edition for that Onkyo and I have to say I disagree there is no mention of the fact you have to put it at ridiculous volumes as set by thx to get any mid range warmth and presence , yes it ticks every box on paper for features spotify rtc but the sound is what is the most important thing surely . I am beginning to seriously doubt the relationship between Onkyo richer sounds and this magazine . I have learned from this though and that is ,Sound Room ! with the speakers you are going to be using is essential. Never ever again would I buy without hearing

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
brightonjournalist said:
I am beginning to seriously doubt the relationship between Onkyo richer sounds and this magazine

By far the most ridiculous thing you have written on this forum so far, 'brightonjournalist': I'd suggest as well as getting brightonsubeditor to work on your punctuation and spelling, you have a word with brightonmedialawtrainer before you start making insinuations like that.
smiley-wink.gif

Seems like you're a Yamaha person like me. You won't like any other receiver (except, maybe the Denon) if you're used to a touch of warmth in your sound. I hated the high end pioneer. It definitely DOES NOT mean that pioneer is rubbish as we all have our personal preferences. The onkyo has won lots of awards & praises universally, not just What Hi-Fi. It's but obvious for any dealer to strongly recommend an award winning product.

TRENDING THREADS