Onkyo TX-8050 owners, an internet radio question.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

In the end guys, get a demo going, stick some music on a USB, or whatever and have a listen. Chris at the Home Cinema Centre stuck the Eagles DVD-A rip off the shop's NAS through it and I tell you what, it was a killer. The streamer was one of the Linn models around £2k I think and the amp wasn't embarrassed by it - far from it. I know what hi-fi's like, I've been into this hobby for coming up on 35 years now and I've read the mags and the opinions and watched the trends come and go. As it stands, for all of that time, the 8050 ticks all of the boxes. For me anyway. YMMV. :)

T

the record spot

The_Lhc said:
the record spot said:
The_Lhc said:
Does the Onkyo require Premium or will it work with the Free one?

I assume it'll work with whichever falvour of Spotify you have mate; the functionality's enabled in this receiver, much as per the rest of their product range that's come equipped with it from the off (e.g. the TX-NR609). I've had the Premium service for ages now but doubt you'll have a problem.

No worries, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't, Sonos only works with Premium and I still haven't got round to upgrading for that, I just don't get the chance to listen often enough to justify it (at home at any rate, all my listening's in the car, or sometimes at work).

I'll drop the Onkyo guys a line on Twitter, they usually reply soon afterwards (maybe not so soon at weekends...!) - see what they say. I imagine it would be fine, but hang fire and let's see what they come back with.

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
lesmallett said:
Pete, I looked into this amp and although it doesn't have an AV input to bypass the pre-amp you can set the input volume for different inputs so it would all work off one remote once set up with your AV amp.

It has got me really tempted.

Does anyone use it with a Squeezebox touch? Or do they use it instead as it sounds better?

I was using squeezebox touch (£200) paired with DENON RBX-1000 (£800) streaming wise I was not satisfied, so I sold both to buy this Onkyo and I got what I wanted. Although SB navigation is better and easier, Onkyo sounds much, much better for me, especially 24/96 files sound clearer.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Do ipod shuffles work through the USB port?

It doesn't seem to be on the compatiable list.....?

lesmallett ......does this receiver switch on each time at a specific volume level depending on which input is selected and what volume level you have pre selected it to work at for that input?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
The_Lhc said:
the record spot said:
The_Lhc said:

I assume it'll work with whichever falvour of Spotify you have mate; the functionality's enabled in this receiver, much as per the rest of their product range that's come equipped with it from the off (e.g. the TX-NR609). I've had the Premium service for ages now but doubt you'll have a problem.

No worries, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't, Sonos only works with Premium and I still haven't got round to upgrading for that, I just don't get the chance to listen often enough to justify it (at home at any rate, all my listening's in the car, or sometimes at work).

I'll drop the Onkyo guys a line on Twitter, they usually reply soon afterwards (maybe not so soon at weekends...!) - see what they say. I imagine it would be fine, but hang fire and let's see what they come back with.

Ok, it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way, I'm actually more interested in the quality of the phono stage! Good idea about Twitter though, I'm following AE, I'll ask them whether they've tried the 8050 with their Compact 1s.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
the record spot said:
The_Lhc said:
the record spot said:
The_Lhc said:

Ok, it wouldn't be a deal breaker either way, I'm actually more interested in the quality of the phono stage! Good idea about Twitter though, I'm following AE, I'll ask them whether they've tried the 8050 with their Compact 1s.

I'd still like to know this though.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
lesmallett said:
Pistol Pete1 said:
lesmallett said:
According to the manual it does

You talking about the Intelli Volume feature?

Think so, read it about a week ago and thought that it would work with my system.

Its not quite as it seems.......

It only changes the volume levels by -12db to +12db's, so that two different inputs become the same level.

I guess it may work....but it's not a deal breaker.....

Whether or not spotify (free) is compatiable might be though.....

T

the record spot

Pistol Pete1 said:
Whether or not spotify (free) is compatiable might be though.....

I've asked the question to the Onkyo guys on Twitter, but would be surprised if they can claim their amps have the functionality onboard, yet not state at the outset it doesn't work with the premium service only. None of the magazine reviews have mentioned this either, so again, I'd be surprised if they hadn't picked up on this.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Question from the wife......

Got itunes on pc.....will she be able to stream the tunes/playlists through this onkyo? (Can you tell i know nothing about this technology!!! :oops: )

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Question from the wife...... Got itunes on pc.....will she be able to stream the tunes/playlists through this onkyo? (Can you tell i know nothing about this technology!!! :oops: )

Anyone???

About to hit the 'buy it' button.....

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
dariushifi said:
Pistol Pete1 said:
the record spot said:

Anything this machine not do!!!

video procesing and no hdmi input;)

Denon can provide that then..... :cheers:

In this case Denon's stereo would not sound as refined as Onkyo's
dance.gif

T

the record spot

Pistol Pete1 said:
Question from the wife...... Got itunes on pc.....will she be able to stream the tunes/playlists through this onkyo? (Can you tell i know nothing about this technology!!! :oops: )

From memory, I *think* so, but might be confused here. It did pick up the music files and play those, but seems to prefer a slightly different track ordering system than the Apple format delivers in its naming conventions. I'd need to put my network cable in and am streaming Mubi's movie service to the TV just now. Sorry!! Will try later though.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
dariushifi said:
Pistol Pete1 said:
dariushifi said:
Pistol Pete1 said:
the record spot said:

Anything this machine not do!!!

video procesing and no hdmi input;)

Denon can provide that then..... :cheers:

In this case Denon's stereo would not sound as refined as Onkyo's
dance.gif

Will be using the Onkyo via pre outs to run the front speakers for everything....best of both worlds then!!

Music....only onkyo used.

tv/bluray/dvd.....denon and onkyo used(fronts only)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
Pistol Pete1 said:

From memory, I *think* so, but might be confused here. It did pick up the music files and play those, but seems to prefer a slightly different track ordering system than the Apple format delivers in its naming conventions. I'd need to put my network cable in and am streaming Mubi's movie service to the TV just now. Sorry!! Will try later though.

Thanks RS.......

Using wired connection then? I'd have to purchase the optional dongle for all this (pc/internet radio, etc), which I assume will work just as well....?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts