Onkyo ND-S1 : What is the final verdict on iPhone4 / 3GS compatability?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I read about this query on iPhone4 / 3GS compatability with this dock unit under thhis website Review section. I am a bit unclear of what is the final verdict on this compatability issue. Can the dock accept signal from an iPhone? Any has tried it?

Messiah

I have the dock and it works fine with my iPhone 3G and my Friends 3GS. Cannot comment on the iPhone 4 though.

The only thing I would be concerned with at present is that recently (I think from the 4.0 firmware upgrade onwards) there has been an issue with the iPhone and digital docks. You should be able to google this. I do not think this has been fixed by Apple yet.

Mine still works fine as I have simply not 'upgraded' the firmware.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
El Hefe:Any takers?

WHF? Clare? Andrew? JD?

I'll ask Onkyo this morning - hope they've made it through the snow (I know they were all sent home early on Friday!)

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:
I have the dock and it works fine with my iPhone 3G and my Friends 3GS. Cannot comment on the iPhone 4 though.

The only thing I would be concerned with at present is that recently (I think from the 4.0 firmware upgrade onwards) there has been an issue with the iPhone and digital docks. You should be able to google this. I do not think this has been fixed by Apple yet.

Mine still works fine as I have simply not 'upgraded' the firmware.

Thanks Messiah for your comment. Yes, it seems to have some issue with the latest firmware. Hope to hear the feedback from Onkyo via Clare tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

I had the issue that you refer to with IOS 4 on ipod touch 3G with the ND-S1. However since 4.2 became available all of the jitter / popping issues have been resolved.

I can confirm that the problem was not with the ND-S1 as I had mine exchanged and I was experiencing the same issue. I only became aware that it was definately an Apple issue when I started to also have the same issue in the car that also uses the digital port, although through headphones the ipod sounded fine.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, here's the response direct from Onkyo:

"The Onkyo ND-S1 was certified at launch for:-

iPod touch (1G and 2G), iPod classic, iPod (5G*), iPod nano (1G*, 2G, 3G, and 4G)

So the ND-S1 is not officially certified for the iPhone 3GS/4 (and Onkyo has never claimed otherwise) though in practice it will play back content from them and charge them... but you will invariably need to have the device in Airplane mode to avoid pops and clicks (metal objects within the vicinity of the iPhone's antenna can act as a ground plane).

BTW, there appears to have been a separate issue affecting Apple devices and all digital docks in general but iOS 4.2.1 appears to have remedied that.
"

Messiah

Clare Newsome:

So the ND-S1 is not officially certified for the iPhone 3GS/4 (and Onkyo has never claimed otherwise) though in practice it will play back content from them and charge them... but you will invariably need to have the device in Airplane mode to avoid pops and clicks (metal objects within the vicinity of the iPhone's antenna can act as a ground plane).

Personally I have always used it in 'normal' mode and it has been fine, no pops or clicks.

You certainly know when you get a call too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts