Onkyo N3007 with MA Apex centre and satellites

Stuartc2uk

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I have a Onkyo N3007 reciever. Thinking about buying Monitor Audio Apex system with or without Apex sub. If I do not get the Apex subwoofer,what would you recomend as a sub for a small room just under 4x4metres.

The Velodyne SPL 800 Ultra or the B&W PV1 or Apex sub

Stuart

Onkyo should match well, but it depends on individual preferences. Demo the system before you buy if possible.

I can't comment about Velodyne sub, but I have compared the Apex AW12 and B&W PV1 subwoofer, & I found the AW12 to be significantly better than the PV1.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 3007 will be fine with the Apex system - they'll lap up the Onkyo's power output. As for the sub, the PV1 will be fine if you want to keep things lean, but wouldn't be my first choice if you like a bit of depth and slam with your sub. The matching Apex sub will do a much better job, as would the RXW12 if you want to save a little bit of money. If you really want to push the boat out, you could even look at MA's GSW12.

A sub's depth depends on it's cabinet volume and driver size. It's ability to pressurise a room, and it's speed and agility, depends on it's power and the size of it's driver. The better the sub, the better the sats will sound.

Stuartc2uk

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Has any used/demo Velodyne SPL 800 Ultra, does the 7 band EQ work well. I have smallish room and sit at the back of it so need to control the bass well.

Stuart

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Stuart, a little off topic but I'm looking at the Onkyo receiver that you have.....how would you rate it? what did you have before and was there a big difference between the 2? Thanks in anticipation!

Stuartc2uk

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi

Had a Pioneer VSX-LX70. The sound is more solid (controlled bass), better at higher volumes with Onyko. The pioneer had more setup options (but less user friendly). Onkyo has every new tech going Dolby volume etc apart from 1.4 HDMI. I may not be in the best position to judge sound yet as i'm only using Whafedale 10.1 fronts, whafedale centre rears and sub all from same 10 range. I am keep being told I need speakers which cost more than the receiver to get the best performance (even though I have small room) . Which is why I am looking a MA apex system and Velodyne 800 ultra sub or any other 5.1 systems for a small room (just 3.6 x 4.0metres).

Stuart

Stuartc2uk:
Hi

I have a Onkyo N3007 reciever. Thinking about buying Monitor Audio Apex system with or without Apex sub. If I do not get the Apex subwoofer,what would you recomend as a sub for a small room just under 4x4metres.

The Velodyne SPL 800 Ultra or the B&W PV1 or Apex sub

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I'll suggest the matching Apex sub as the AW-12 is an excellent sub in its own right. The AW-12 will be the icing on an already exceedingly good cake. The Apex sub/sats are sheer class.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Stuartc2uk

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi Big

Only due to the fact that room is 3.6x4.0metres (and I sit near back wall, increased bass position) and the only position I can put the Apex sub is in or a max of 1ft (300mm) from corner. So sub may not give a flat response. With a Veloydne SPL 800ultra sub, its smaller thus may be able to place between cabinet and front speakers as well as corner position. Also the Veloydne has its own EQ (mic etc) system to flatten out bass.

Although as the Apex sub is sealed forward facing drive and the Onkyo rec has EQ system built in it may be ok for my room. Trouble is I may prefernce to have Onkyo EQ (Audessy) setting turned off, no option of turning off EQ settings for rest of speakers and leaving them on for Sub alone. On the Veloyne sub I could toggle EQ setting on and off.

However, if everyone feel the Apex sub will sound better (bigger drive but less power) than the Veloydne regardless of flatt response I will go for the Apex sub. Which seem to be the main opinon so far.

Stuart

michael hoy

Stuartc2uk:
Hi Big

Only due to the fact that room is 3.6x4.0metres (and I sit near back wall, increased bass position) and the only position I can put the Apex sub is in or a max of 1ft (300mm) from corner. So sub may not give a flat response. With a Veloydne SPL 800ultra sub, its smaller thus may be able to place between cabinet and front speakers as well as corner position. Also the Veloydne has its own EQ (mic etc) system to flatten out bass.

Although as the Apex sub is sealed forward facing drive and the Onkyo rec has EQ system built in it may be ok for my room. Trouble is I may prefernce to have Onkyo EQ (Audessy) setting turned off, no option of turning off EQ settings for rest of speakers and leaving them on for Sub alone. On the Veloyne sub I could toggle EQ setting on and off.

However, if everyone feel the Apex sub will sound better (bigger drive but less power) than the Veloydne regardless of flatt response I will go for the Apex sub. Which seem to be the main opinon so far.

Stuart

Stuart,

I have the Apex system with the Apex sub, you will not be disappointed with this setup. My sub is on the rear wall behind the settee (see here).

My old sub did boom at times, but with this setup it is very controlled and not boomy at all.

Stuartc2uk

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Just a note for all Onkyo N3007 N5007 receivers users, a firmware update was issued on 1 Oct (allows more types of music files to be played along with other things), it's avaliable via network connection and asia website (not looked at UK).

Stuartc2uk

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi

A pair of Monitor Audio Radius R270HD are similar price to a pair of Apex satellites. Which would be best for both music and movies. I would use the rest of the Apex range with the radius 270HD floorstanders. Is this a good idea.

Stuart

Stuartc2uk

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Stuartc2uk:

Hi

A pair of Monitor Audio Radius R270HD are similar price to a pair of Apex satellites. Which would be best for both music and movies. I would use the rest of the Apex range with the radius 270HD floorstanders. Is this a good idea.

Exactly the 270HD are cheaper as the stands for the Apex sates are £250

Stuart

Stuartc2uk: Hi

Stuart

Why do you want to mix & match? Both Radius HD & Apex look good in their own respect, but mixing them won't look good. If you like the R270HD speakers, then why not look at R90HD rears & possibly R225HD centre?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts