Help with Home Cinema Speakers, Amp and Sub

reece8

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I am looking for help in choosing components that will provide a decent home cinema set-up (priority) as well as being adequate for music. Budget isn't really restricted but size of speakers are (basically sats if poss but her indoors will allow small bookshelfs).

After several days of surfing and reviewing i have got some ideas however not sure on compatability. The room is 15ft x 16ft with the TV in the corner so it won't be a text book set-up. I currently have a Denon 3806 av receiver (HDMI v1.1, 2 inputs 1 output but loads of other connections Optical, Coax, Component etc) that is currently redundant and if needed will upgrade to take advantage of HD audio etc.

I have narrowed down a set-up i fancy to Tannoy DC4 Left and Right mounted on wall brackets with the matching centre DC4LCR. Rears MA BXFX placed at the side of the listening position with the base of the speaker being approx 7ft above floor level and a BK XLS200 or XLS400. I know the BXFX are quite big however where i position them will be inconspicuous so have the wifes ok :) .

This may be ample for the size of room but if not i could wall mount 2 x MA BX1 in addition for for 7.1 at the rear of the listening position with the height being quite flexible.

I have also considered the KEF Eggs B&W MT packages, MA radius, MA Apex for the speakers as well as the Denon 2313 or the Marantz SR6007 for an upgraded receiver. Also MJ and REL subs seem appealing.

All ideas/opinions on compatability, whether i should go 7.1, which amp/sub/speakers etc would be very helpful in assisting me get a decent home cinema set up.

Regards

Reece

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think the first question is, have you listened to any of these setups? You seem to have narrowed down a shortlist, so ultimately, the best way to make a decision would be to go out and audition - especially the speakers, as seeing and hearing them in the flesh often helps to rule out / rule in what you previously thought might be okay / might not be okay.

You haven't mentioned whether you have a Blu-ray player - clearly if you do, it could well be worthwhile upgrading the amp to take advantage of HD audio if you have the funds to do so - a lot of the advantage of Blu-ray comes from the improved sound. Having said that, if your amp currently accepts PCM audio (which I believe the HDMI 1.1 spec does), you might be able to get this with your current amp via any Blu-ray with in built decoding.

Personally, I'm not sold on 7.1 - in a room that size, it may help to add extra depth, but I'd personally be more inclined to spend the money on a better 5.1 package / AV receiver. Again, though, auditioning is key here to determine your own preferences.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts