Onkyo Atmos Speakers

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Hello
Two days past,I purchased a set of Onkyo Atmos Speakers SKH410. These were used in conjunction with my Yamaha RX-V581.

Prior to connecting, I made sure all my amp setting were correct. I tried various positions for said speakers,on top my front speakers and attached to the wall at the recommended height.

Well, the sound from my old Yamaha satellite speakers, I was using as presence speakers, was more noticeable and generated a better surrond sound effect

The sound form the Onkyos' was faint, no sense of the Atmos effect I have read about ,and made no difference to the overall sound
I returned the speakers to RS this afternoon

Anyone else have negative experiences with these speakers ?
Thank you

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
most of the reviews I seen have not been of a positive nature about these speakers, it seems to be a case of you get what you pay for, £100 for a pair of atmos upfiring speakers may seem a bargain when other well known makes are charging up to £600 and over but as you have found out the sound is not what you may have expected, a quick look on RS's own web site at the specs shows a fairly difficult load for the kind of Atmos amps that these speakers were likely to be paired with, a low sensitivity of 84dB combined with an impedance of 6 ohms means that more power would be needed to drive them, I guessing you did redo all the levels when you changed your Yamaha's.

Reactions: near dark

near dark

May 5, 2009
Visit site
most of the reviews I seen have not been of a positive nature about these speakers, it seems to be a case of you get what you pay for, £100 for a pair of atmos upfiring speakers may seem a bargain when other well known makes are charging up to £600 and over but as you have found out the sound is not what you may have expected, a quick look on RS's own web site at the specs shows a fairly difficult load for the kind of Atmos amps that these speakers were likely to be paired with, a low sensitivity of 84dB combined with an impedance of 6 ohms means that more power would be needed to drive them, I guessing you did redo all the levels when you changed your Yamaha's.

Thank you taking the time to respond. I'm no expert, but from my knowledge and various YouTube videos, I believe all the setting were correct .
Yes, the speakers are cheap,when compared to others. The many reviews I read were mainly positive . Hence the purchase .
I guess my search continues for a set of affordable Atmos speakers

One setting I'm slightly confused about ,is the Level setting . I experimented with various values ,for the speakers, but returned to default settings.

My Centre,Front & Right ,Surrond Left & Right are now set to +0.5dB. My presence speakers are 0.0dB. And Subwoofer -9.5dB

MX-C1 Centre

MX-1 X4 Speakers

Tannoy SFX.5.1

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

TRENDING THREADS