Onkyo - A dealers point of view

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I wondered into a Hi-Fi retailer yesterday and asked about the Onkyo receivers that have been gaining much praise in the press. He advised me to stay clear of them as they are hard to get hold of and they are not much better than existing brands - Denon, Pioneer, etc.

Any thoughts on this?

I am considering purchasing a sub-sat system shortly to match either a Pioneer or Panasonic plasma - depending on my christmas budget
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="RakeshP"]
He advised me to stay clear of them as they are hard to get hold of and they are not much better than existing brands - Denon, Pioneer, etc.

[/quote]

Fior which read he didn't order them and is now finding them a little hard to come by as a result of them winning so many Awards, so of course he wants to persuade you to buy something he does have in stock.

It's a familiar story at this time of year...

By the way, that's a retailer, not a dealer - a dealer would have said 'I don't have them in stock, but if you really want one leave me your number and I'll make some calls and see what I can do.'

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew. In your opinon which is the better option, Onkyo, Denon or Arcam for home cinema and music listening? Budget is approx. £1K for a receiver.

I am also aware that there aren't any discs with HD audio for movies yet, so am not to worried about not having this feature.

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I have the TX-875 and it's great - Just make sure you have plenty of room for it, it's big and it gets very hot.

A

Anonymous

FoxJA, how does the receiver perform with upscaling SD content, e.g. Sky, DVD, etc?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's exceptionally good - we have Sky HD, but also a standard definition Naim DVD player - and both SD programmes and DVDs look amazing on our 50in screen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts