Onkyo A-9110 and A-9155? Experiences?

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I'm trying to find a place in the European Union that sells an Onkyo A-9110 amplifier. Their are sold out or mentioned as "discontinued" virtually everywhere. Alternatively, it seems I might be able to get a second hand 9155. Thing is, I can't find much about it or its character. Anyone has one or know where to see some proper review?

Hi, I'm trying to find a place in the European Union that sells an Onkyo A-9110 amplifier. Their are sold out or mentioned as "discontinued" virtually everywhere. Alternatively, it seems I might be able to get a second hand 9155. Thing is, I can't find much about it or its character. Anyone has one or know where to see some proper review?
Buy something you can actually audition yourself, best not to rely on reviews alone.
why the interest in these two?
Two years is a long time for some products, and that's how long the 9110 has been out.
Covid hit manufacturers tend to have to cease production quickly.
and Onkyo seem to be suffering more than others.

Reactions: Kutusov

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I'm actually interested in something very much like the Onkyo, old school simple and reliable, with a Loudness bottom" :ROFLMAO: and clean power. I can't audition either of them, so the fact they are cheap is also a plus. All I have now are active speakers and a pair of passive floorstanders on the way.

What do you mean about two years being a long time? Outdated or with too much use?

I'm actually interested in something very much like the Onkyo, old school simple and reliable, with a Loudness bottom" :ROFLMAO: and clean power. I can't audition either of them, so the fact they are cheap is also a plus. All I have now are active speakers and a pair of passive floorstanders on the way.

What do you mean about two years being a long time? Outdated or with too much use?
not outdated just some manufacturers issue new products annually

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
Well, the 9110 is the new model, afaik Onkyo is financially in bad shape and trying to be bought by someone :( I really like the idea of this all analogue class A/B stuff but I'm not even sure if that's the case with the older 9155...

rainsoothe

What floorstanders did you end up buying?

rainsoothe

The Q Acoustics 3050i :giggle: In English walnut :eek:
I say go for better amplification and look into getting a Rega Io. It should be within your 1000e budget and it's defo a better amp than the Onkyo. Ignore the loudness button, I'm 99.2% positive you won't be needing it, since the 3050i are bassy enough as it is (and loudness basically boosts bass and highs, which are also pretty clear on the3050i). The Q Acoustics need a fast sounding amp, and Rega do the fast stuff pretty well. And the Io is cheap enough.

Reactions: Shay.M and Kutusov

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I say go for better amplification and look into getting a Rega Io. It should be within your 1000e budget and it's defo a better amp than the Onkyo. Ignore the loudness button, I'm 99.2% positive you won't be needing it, since the 3050i are bassy enough as it is (and loudness basically boosts bass and highs, which are also pretty clear on the3050i). The Q Acoustics need a fast sounding amp, and Rega do the fast stuff pretty well. And the Io is cheap enough.

Done, Rega on its way. Many thanks!! 🖖 🤗

nn_in

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
Consider evaluating BC Acoustique EX214 also.Good reviews .
(Disclaimer : No affiliations )

see_for_miles

Jun 3, 2021
Visit site
I say go for better amplification and look into getting a Rega Io. It should be within your 1000e budget and it's defo a better amp than the Onkyo.
Pardon me for jumping in... :)I'm a novice in hifi, and I'm also considering a setup for a small room (4 x 3 m). The Rega Io has caught my eye repeatedly.... really tempted by reviews which are favorable across the board. It's only 30w though, do you think it will produce enough bass out of speakers in a small room (ftr, I don't have speakers yet). I don't need an overload of boomy bass as I live in an apartment (neighbors!), but I don't want thin brittle sound either.
I suppose I should go for speakers that are easy to drive and more efficient, correct?

Pardon me for jumping in... :)I'm a novice in hifi, and I'm also considering a setup for a small room (4 x 3 m). The Rega Io has caught my eye repeatedly.... really tempted by reviews which are favorable across the board. It's only 30w though, do you think it will produce enough bass out of speakers in a small room (ftr, I don't have speakers yet). I don't need an overload of boomy bass as I live in an apartment (neighbors!), but I don't want thin brittle sound either.
I suppose I should go for speakers that are easy to drive and more efficient, correct?
please start your own thread in this matter.

Reactions: see_for_miles

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Rega sell their io amp with their Kyte speakers and RP1 turntable as a package so might be a good demo.

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
So everything is here and plugged in! Holly cow... what can I say, blown away. Speakers clearly need some burning in but, straight out of the box, there are already layers on music I can hear again. My test track is usually the not so well recorded opening of Bach's St. John's Passion conducted by Franz Brüggen (Phillips). Choir is multilayered and has this back and forward between front and back. I could never hear the men when they are singing low and and gathering momentum.

IMG_20210928_141128.jpg

I need to position them better and replace that table etc but pretty impressed. I don't feel like they are slow, probably the amp recommendation helped a lot in that. Bass is plenty and pretty deep AFAIC.

First thing that hit me is the soundstage. There's no middle sweet spot, I can move from left to right and forward or back and it's like I'm inside a bubble of sound that doesn't change! It's a pretty big bubble too, horizontally and vertically.

IMG_20210928_141713.jpg

Funny that people say DACs all sound the same. I tried both my IFI Zen and the Topping D10 and they sound noticeably different. They already sounded different on my old speakers. It's like the IFI has a more wide soundstage and better separation, even though the D10 is slightly more detailed. I happen to like the Zen better but wouldn't mind to have that little bit of more detail of the D10 on top of what the Zen gives.

I probably won't bother with DACs until I have the speakers better placed, etc, but any recommendations or thoughts regarding this?

Last edited:
I probably won't bother with DACs until I have the speakers better placed, etc, but any recommendations or thoughts regarding this?
The QA should be pretty tolerant of location so I’d not rush to move them. They might prefer not be adjacent to the other speakers though! At least mark with masking tape where they are, in case you want to return them to the same spot. Looks like a great system, congratulations!

No views on DACs from me, but you’ll get a million suggestions so just try a couple that suit your needs and likes. Though the iFi should be fine.

Last edited:

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
The QA should be pretty tolerant of location so I’d not rush to move them. They might prefer not be adjacent to the other speakers though! At least mark with masking tape where they are, in case you want to return them to the same spot. Looks like a great system, congratulations!

No views on DACs from me, but you’ll get a million suggestions so just try a couple that suit your needs and likes. Though the iFi should be fine.
I am using a 9010 which is a generation back from the 9110. I also run an original Cyrus One amp which was highly regarded in its day and still is. Comparing the Onkyo with the Cyrus is not comparing night and day. Don't get too hung up on choosing a particular model and make but go and listen at a dealer. When choosing my Onkyo I also compared it to an amplifier costing £1000 more but felt that the extra cost did not bring much improvement

Kutusov

Sep 13, 2021
Visit site
I am using a 9010 which is a generation back from the 9110. I also run an original Cyrus One amp which was highly regarded in its day and still is. Comparing the Onkyo with the Cyrus is not comparing night and day. Don't get too hung up on choosing a particular model and make but go and listen at a dealer. When choosing my Onkyo I also compared it to an amplifier costing £1000 more but felt that the extra cost did not bring much improvement

I did end up getting a Riga IO and loving it! I couldn't listen to it beforehand as no place around here carries them. And the Onkyo seems to have vanished, I could only find a place in the UK that apparently has them in stock but don't ship to Portugal. Same deal with Onkyo Europe :cautious:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts