Onkyo 876/906 Review & WHF Awards 2008

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I saw the review of Onkyo 876 was out. What about the review of Onkyo 906 however?

A

Anonymous

seakingadvice:Thanks for the review. But, now I'm in a dilemma. I was initially set on getting an Onkyo 876 given the excellent reviews of the 875 but now after reading the review, it seems like the Pioneer SC-LX81 would be a better higher end choice or do I save the money and go for a Yamaha 863? Would the video processing capabilities of the Onkyo 876 be far superior to the Yamaha 863? And from the review, sonically, is the Yamaha 863 better than the Onkyo 876? Wow, if that's the case, then the Onkyo has really failed to live up to expectations. Comparing the video processing capabilities of the Onkyo 876 vs the Pioneer LX81, the Onkyo uses the HQV Reon chip whereas the Pioneer uses the Faroudja chip. Hence, would this mean that the Onkyo 876 has superior video processing capabilities compared to the Pioneer LX81? Would appreciate any advice from the WHF Gurus-Clare, Andrew, Andy, Simon, please HELP! Thanks!

I suggest you ignore the reviews and go to your local dealer and have a demonstration of the 876 yourself . I have an 875 which is excellent and having seen and heard the 876 I believe that is even better . I`ve also now heard the Yamaha 863 which does a very good job for a £500 amp , but should not be compared to the Onkyo 876 ,or for that matter any other new amp costing £1000 or more, because as far as I`m concerned they are in a different league as regards performance, features and build quality.I`ve not had a demo of the Pioneer SC-LX81 so I can`t comment on it , however all the reviews seem to indicate that the HQV Reon Chip is currently the best on the market which is the main reason I purchased the 875 in the first place .

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Fat Spanish Waiter:
[ I`ve also now heard the Yamaha 863 which does a very good job for a £500 amp , but should not be compared to the Onkyo 876 ,or for that matter any other new amp costing £1000 or more, because as far as I`m concerned they are in a different league as regards performance, features and build quality.

Just to note that we named the Yamaha 863 best AV amp £500-£1000 - we named the Pioneer our next-step-up choice (£1000-£2000).

A

Anonymous

User Review Onkyo 906 Well I bought it after a long research on the net and reading users and professional reviews. I got it to replace my good old Kenwood receiver which served me for more than 13 years and still kicking good sound. I got the TX 906 to work with my old set of Bose speakers 601-series 3 + 301- series 3 + Kenwood wide center speaker and I added Bose 161 to complete the 7.1 formation along with Samsung LCD series 6 (Full HD). With the automatic set-up, I got a very low sound out-put, which give me a scare. After a call to the distributor/dealer technical adviser, I changed the set-up manually and I got the sound right with setting the picture to 1080p. It worked fine with my DVD and PS3 in term of sound, but the picture up grading did not really work which was the main purpose of the investment. I was very impressed with my old speakers as they giving me enough base eliminating the need for an additional subwoofer. All the surround sound options are available depending on the sources, i.e. you don't get all options for all type of sources which defeats the purpose of buying it. I was disappointed with picture up-scaling which was the main reason for buying it to watch my old home movies (which were transferred into DVDs) with in HD resolution, but no effect what so ever. In general, the receiver delivers part of what's promise to do which I assume other will do the same since they all use the same technology and chips. If anybody can recommend anything to me to improve the picture up-scaling and how to get DTS, DTS trueHD.etc., please do.

nads

for a better picture well it does depend on what settings you have at the moment ?

DTS, DD, DTS MA, DDtru all depend on the input source and what coding it has on it.

DTS MA and DD tru can be found on Blu ray and HD DVD discs. (some not all)

A

Anonymous

Well my 875 gives an outstanding picture as well as sound (music as well) on everything I put through it.

A few questions

Have you optomised your TV settings? Google it and you will find some good ones.

Do you have a Tacima 929 block? It improves everything.

Check your main Earth point in the house is perfect, along with Cross bonding points.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Should say i have the 876 - not 906 but the processing picture/sound is identical as far as i am aware. Spend sometime familurising yourself with the sub menus and instructions as its easy to click wrong thing sometimes and miss when your checking back

As above if the source materiel only has either a Dolby or DTS sound track for example why would you want to force it in to the other mode as will sound better in its native form - if the discs support both or all listed above you can choose and the amp will let you cycle through them.

with regard to picture setup that a lot harder as don't know what your settings are but check you don't have anything just set to pass through for your sd stuff - you can alter output for each individule source plus also in the main monitor out menu - for example i have a 1080p tv and 720p projector so i alter the settings depending on which i am using. Some of its down to trial and error - for example i send the 360 at 720p and let the onkyo upscale to 1080p as i think it makes a better job of it than the 360 - will prob be told i am wrong now but just my personal pref.

you may also find that upscaled SD stuff looks better only upscaled to 720p as opposed to the full 1080p - personally much prefer my free view box when its set to 720p to much splatter around objects otherwise for my liking.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Possibly also worth posting on the 906 review here.

And if you do, splitting it into more than one paragraph would make it more readable!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

That's funny. One of WHF's competitors (better not say which or i xpect i'll be moderatd!) has a group test at the moment that includes the TX-NR906. They put it up against the Pioneer SC-LX81 (this mag's top recommendation), Yamaha RX-V3900 and Denon AVR-3808A.

They say that the Onkyo absolutely hammered the others in the test... gave it 85%for sound quality while the SC-LX81 got 65%, the Yammy (ah, that's where the stock went!) got 70% and the Denon 80%. So What hifi reckons the 906 is a 4-star while another mag says its the best receiver on the market at the price. When you've got differences of opinion that wide who the heck are you supposed to believe?

Me? I reckon the best solution is the same one it ever was... when all is said and done you've got to take a listen and a look to the products yourself, in your room with your source/speakers/drapes/rug and so on. It's the only way people!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd hardly say a four-star review and an 85 percent rating were 'wide differences of opinion'!

But I would say - as we stress each issue - that auditioning is important. We've never said anything different....

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
I'd hardly say a four-star review and an 85 percent rating were 'wide differences of opinion'!

But I would say - as we stress each issue - that auditioning is important. We've never said anything different....

Hallo C

Well it is a big difference if you consider that the Pioneer LX81 - which you guys say is yr defacto 5-star recommendation at that price scores just 65% for sound quality in that mag's group test... that's a 20% difference in how you and the other mag rate those particular rceivers, pretty huge gulf in my opinion.

My point is that somebody reading that mag and yours would be totally confused about what was actually the best choice. Gotta say I don't think auditioining is just 'important'... if you're going to drop 1500 big ones on a receiver I think it should be absolutely mandatory!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Please don't spoil for an unnecessary argument - every issue of WHF carries five golden rules to follow before you buy: no2 is 'insist on a demonstration' . Enough said

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Please don't spoil for an unnecessary argument - every issue of WHF carries five golden rules to follow before you buy: no2 is 'insist on a demonstration' . Enough said

Couldn't agree more
emotion-1.gif

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
the only thing i thought was a bit unfair - thinking of the 876 in particular was that it seemed that it was penalised as it hadn't advanced as much in its latest incarnation as you would have hoped and that other manufactures had done more to close the gulf to the old 875 - but the 875 was so far in front of all other amps at that time in terms of spec it couldn't move that much further forward at this price point, the 876 is a fantastic brute that I have yet been unable to fault its coped with everything I have thrown at it and I have a lot of kit connected to it - PS3, 360, Wii, HD EP 35 Topfield ect then connected back to both a tv and projector - there were big comparisons to the sound of the Yamaha 863se but that just not in the same league as this amp in terms of spec, connections ect Because of what i wanted and needed the amp to do this was the only one that offered everything i needed in this price range. Far better than the 875 which it replaced - mine went bang so have had both to compare.

Also for anyone buying an av amp - as stated above you must decide on exactly what kit you will be connecting to your amp and short list from there then go and listen yourself.

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:the only thing i thought was a bit unfair - thinking of the 876 in particular was that it seemed that it was penalised as it hadn't advanced as much in its latest incarnation as you would have hoped and that other manufactures had done more to close the gulf to the old 875 - but the 875 was so far in front of all other amps at that time in terms of spec it couldn't move that much further forward at this price point, the 876 is a fantastic brute that I have yet been unable to fault its coped with everything I have thrown at it and I have a lot of kit connected to it - PS3, 360, Wii, HD EP 35 Topfield ect then connected back to both a tv and projector - there were big comparisons to the sound of the Yamaha 863se but that just not in the same league as this amp in terms of spec, connections ect Because of what i wanted and needed the amp to do this was the only one that offered everything i needed in this price range. Far better than the 875 which it replaced - mine went bang so have had both to compare.

Also for anyone buying an av amp - as stated above you must decide on exactly what kit you will be connecting to your amp and short list from there then go and listen yourself.

Excellent points you make Matengawhat... horses for courses. No mag - this one or any other - can possibly know your or anybody elses particular needs and wants from a piece of kit.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Randomdelusion, your constant digs are becoming very tiresome....

Matengawhat - glad you're enjoying the 876, which is indeed prodigiously equipped (as our review clearly pointed out). In fact let's remind everyone, shall we, of the praise we heaped on the exciting big Onk:

For: Considerable spec; powerful, effective video processing; massive, muscular sound; build; value

Against:Not as articulate, detailed or accurate as the new class best

Verdict: Thumping good fun in many ways, but sonically it's not as rounded as it ought to be to keep pace with some highly competitive rivals

And it's the rivals that saw it marked down a star. In 2007, Onkyo pretty much had the receiver market to itself in terms of price/performance (hence it sweeping the board in our Awards that year). By 2008, it had been leapfrogged for price/performance by several rivals - who were on a specific mission to do that - but has certainly kept its specfications leadership.

Here's to yet another competitive receiver battle in 2009!

A

Anonymous

randomdelusion:Excellent points you make Matengawhat... horses for courses. No mag - this one or any other - can possibly know your or anybody elses particular needs and wants from a piece of kit.

But this mag always qualifies it's reviews and in this case clearly states that the audio steering and timing are the issues that makes the class leader (according to them). If you care not a jot for this (like maybe another mag you've read) and prefer the more bombastic nature of the Onkyo then at least you have an idea where to look.

I treat the recommendations on this site as a guide and decided that a 606 was my choice mainly due to spec (in it's category), even though the upcoming newer receivers were more nimble. I made those choices based on recommendations from the mag and then listened for myself.

Incidentally, occasionally I've nosed through the competition and have found them more superficial.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
Randomdelusion, your constant digs are becoming very tiresome....

Excellent points you make Matengawhat... horses for courses. No mag -
this one or any other - can possibly know your or anybody elses
particular needs and wants from a piece of kit.

Er, how is the above statement 'a tiresome dig?'
emotion-7.gif

I was echoing the perfectly valid point that Matenga made which was that consumers have to buy a product that meets their own personal needs - a consumer's priorities may not perfectly coincide with those of review mags.

Mags - ALL MAGs (better emphasise the point) - give their own assessment of what they think a product's advantages and disadvantages are but, ultimately, those opinions are just a guide and nothing more. There are simply way too many variables in this hi-fi and home cinema malarkey for those opinions to be anything more than a pointer.

That wasn't a dig at What Hi-fi or any other of your competitors... that's just plain commonsense. Perhaps you'd rather I just said 'hey, just trust what all the mags say and keep buying isues month in, month out.' Sorry but that ain't gonna happen...

I've read your mag for about 5 years now, on and off, and I happen to think you guys do an OK job, most of the time, but I've occasionally bought kit that been 5-starred by you guys and it's been really manky... because it didn't work with the rest of my system at the time. That's something you couldn't have possibly known or allowed for when you wrote your review... which brings me back to the original point. The priorities of people in the real world don't always coincide with the priorities of reviewers.

If observations like that one, founded on basic commonsense, are going to be classified as having 'a dig' then you'll probably just end up with a forum full of sychophants cooing nice things in yr ear... not much of a forum I'd suggest.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
randomdelusion:If observations like that one, founded on basic commonsense, are going to be classified as having 'a dig' then you'll probably just end up with a forum full of sychophants cooing nice things in yr ear... not much of a forum I'd suggest.

As Clare said,

Clare Newsome:Randomdelusion, your constant digs are becoming very tiresome....

If you don't like it, then really no-one's making you stay...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
randomdelusion:
If observations like that one, founded on basic commonsense, are going to be classified as having 'a dig' then you'll probably just end up with a forum full of sychophants cooing nice things in yr ear... not much of a forum I'd suggest.

Agreed we certainly don't want that. Not keen either, however, on someone who has a pop in almost every post since they joined
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

randomdelusion:
That's funny. One of WHF's competitors (better not say which or i xpect i'll be moderatd!) has a group test at the moment that includes the TX-NR906. They put it up against the Pioneer SC-LX81 (this mag's top recommendation), Yamaha RX-V3900 and Denon AVR-3808A.

They say that the Onkyo absolutely hammered the others in the test... gave it 85%for sound quality while the SC-LX81 got 65%, the Yammy (ah, that's where the stock went!) got 70% and the Denon 80%. So What hifi reckons the 906 is a 4-star while another mag says its the best receiver on the market at the price. When you've got differences of opinion that wide who the heck are you supposed to believe?

Me? I reckon the best solution is the same one it ever was... when all is said and done you've got to take a listen and a look to the products yourself, in your room with your source/speakers/drapes/rug and so on. It's the only way people!

Yikes!!! Seems like I made a big mistake in buying the Yamaha 3900 then by buying a 3rd placed amp.... Wait, let me average out the scores between the 2 magazines. I'll assume that WHF's 5 stars=100%, 4 stars=80% and so on.

Let's see, the average scores would be:
1) Onkyo TX-NR906 = 85% + 80% (4 stars) = 165%
2) Yamaha RX-V3900 = 70% + 100% (5 stars) = 170%
3) Pioneer SC-LX81 = 65% + 100% (5 stars) = 165%
4) Denon 3808A = 80% + ?% as it was not rated by WHF but even if it got 5 stars, it would = 160%

Yipeeeee!!! I feel so much better now that I bought the Yamaha RX-V3900 which is the Ultimate Winner based on the reviews of both magazines!!! :)

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
randomdelusion:If observations like that one, founded on basic commonsense, are going to be classified as having 'a dig' then you'll probably just end up with a forum full of sychophants cooing nice things in yr ear... not much of a forum I'd suggest.

As Clare said,

Clare Newsome:Randomdelusion, your constant digs are becoming very tiresome....

If you don't like it, then really no-one's making you stay...

Surely Clare has to stay.... I mean, she works here....

;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts