admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've just gotten myself an Onkyo 808 (to replace my Yamaha DSP-E800 and Cambridge Audio A500) and am in the process of setting everything up to work with my B&W MT30s, SKY HD, XBOX360 and PS3 (old style) and was wondering if anyone had any setup / connection tips?

Currently I have:

SKY HD, connected to the Amp via HDMI (for video) and Digital Coaxial (for sound).

PS3, connected only by HDMI

XB0X360, connected via Component and Digital Optical

I haven't done much in the way of setup yet, but have run the auto setup using the supplied microphone and this has allowed me to confirm that the MT30s are all connected correctly, and that I can get Dolby Digital from the Sky HD.

As I say can anyone give me any tips for optomising the connections / setup, as I selected the defaut settings for the MT30s (which is most likely not ideal) and have only connected my PS3 via HDMI and don't know if I need to connect up an optical cable from this to the amp or if there are specific settings on the PS3 that I should use?

I'm sure I'll think of some other specific questions as I get used to the Onkyo, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I'm even more confused now that I was earlier?!?

I spoke to a friend of mine who said that he has his AV amp set between -40 and -34, during normal use.

To that end I've changed the audio display on my Onkyo 808 to display the volume using this -ve notation and have set the volume in between this range and it bearly audible.

Any thoughts as to what I've done wrong, I'm sure that it's something simple.

Currently the Onkyo (and B&W MT30s) sounds terrible and but I'm sure it's something to do with the way I have it all set up.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I'm stumped?!?

A

Anonymous

So I've been doing some more digging and it appears that the Reference Level on the Onkyo is when the volume is set to Zero, which I'm sure will be too loud for just sitting listening to the TV but ideal when the kids are out and I'm watching Blu Rays.

I've also read a little about Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, which may help me get everything set up correctly. One of the issues I had when setting up the Onkyo was that my rear speakers were quite low and as such when the volume was decreased they effectively drop out of the mix and I think which Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume may help resolve.

Has anyone utilised these?

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I
have an Onkyo 905 and use the B&W 685 Theatre and it sounds fantatic and
immersive. Run the setup again and make sure the MT30s are set to small and the
subwoofer should be on with its volume set to 12 O' Clock. When my Onkyo 905
does its setup it wants to take several values in several positions in the
seating area so move the mic to where your family sits.

a)
Sky HD HHMI straight to the TV and the Digital Coaxial to your Onkyo connected
cab / sat this solves problems and allows you to watch Sky without the Onkyo on
late at night ie more family friendly.

b)
Fat PS3 connect via HDMI 1 and tell it to connect to Game.

c)
Xbox you say Component and Optical but if its an Elite or better use HDMI.

To
carry out steps a to c PRESS SETUP button on Onkyo then PRESS ENTER button and
select INPUT/OUPUT ASSIGN and then choose HDMI Input and press ENTER and Make
your choices e.g. DVD = IN3, VCR/DVR= IN1, CBL/SAT=IN4 and GAME= IN2. My
options are IN1 to IN4 i.e. HDMI 1 to 4.

Then
You need to go into DIGITAL INPUT and tell it whether to use HDMI for sound or
OPTICAL or COAXIAL. My set up says DVD HDMI3 VCR/DVR HDMI 1 and CBL/SAT OPT1
and GAME?TV HDMI 2. These settings must correspond what IN1 to IN4 you choose
earlier or you won’t get picture or sound.

If
you get stuck use the manual but I hope my settings give you a guide. Make sure
you write down the settings and keep it with your English manual.

Best
Wishes

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts