OMG!!! ARGOS HAVE JUST GIVEN ME....

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
..... a Sony BDP-S380 for a 370!!!

I reserved a Sony BDP-S370 online from Argos at £69-95 yesterday for store pick-up where I duly went to collect it this morning. When I quoted my reserve number the girl said that they didn't actually have this particular model, but they did have an alternative which would be at least the same spec or possibly higher, would I like to view it first before paying? Well to say I was pretty disgruntled is an understatement as obviously THIS was the model I had reserved and wanted. Anyway, I said I would have a look and when it came down from the stock room it was the brand new BDP-S380! I thought, this as GOT to be a mistake, so I asked is this the one at £69-95 and she replied yes, did I still want it?!!! The 380 currently retails at £149-99 at Argos.....WHAT A DEAL!!!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Chebby: Fair point but the review is full of praise, although it does give the opinion that they consider it a bit of a sideways step compared to the 370.

To be honest I'm not interested in all of the "extras" as I only wanted a disc spinner, but I'm not going to complain at the latest model for just 70 quid!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Chebby: Fair point but the review is full of praise, although it does give the opinion that they consider it a bit of a sideways step compared to the 370. To be honest I'm not interested in all of the "extras" as I only wanted a disc spinner, but I'm not going to complain at the latest model for just 70 quid!

I was considering getting a cheap spare/backup to my S370 this week for £59 or £69 (bought a Henry vacuum cleaner instead) but I would have been upset to have been offered an S380 instead of an S370 :)

I will probably hold out until anyone can confirm if the Panasonic DMP-BDT310 actually has iPlayer access now. (Not - as is usual with Panasonic - a theoretical ability that never gets implemented.)

Then I might upgrade.

Anyway, nice to see the lack of digital optical isn't going to affect you and you have a genuine bargain.

A

Anonymous

mmm I had one on reserve but decided against it

I wouldn't have accepted it if a 380 though - I personally think the 370 has better specs (for me)

380 doesn't have any of the DLNA video functionality does it ? ie Iplayer etc etc

A

Anonymous

Buckshar said:
mmm I had one on reserve but decided against it

I wouldn't have accepted it if a 380 though - I personally think the 370 has better specs (for me)

380 doesn't have any of the DLNA video functionality does it ? ie Iplayer etc etc

It has the Sony Bravia streaming functions e.g, iPlayer, Qriocity (if it ever comes back - still not back here despite the story 2 days ago saying it IS fully restored) , Lovefilm etc.

It doesn't have DLNA, which ought to have been worth a mention in the WhatHiFi review given that the predecessor had it, but wasn't mentioned.

D

Deleted member 2457

Play.com done the S380 for £90 about a week or so back, now £100.

A

Anonymous

I was told by people in the know that if i get a 380 over the 370 then its a swizz.

I reserved a 370, it turned up at the desk as a 380, i was not impressed.

But at least i was pre warned, i am rather surprised to see WHF tell you its a similar deal when it REALLY IS NOT.

The 370 is a far better proposition.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:

It is the S380 and I have NO idea what a 380 is. Does anyone?

EDIT: My guess is they've given me the S380 by mistake.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
DrF.mbe said:
I was told by people in the know that if i get a 380 over the 370 then its a swizz.

I reserved a 370, it turned up at the desk as a 380, i was not impressed.

But at least i was pre warned, i am rather surprised to see WHF tell you its a similar deal when it REALLY IS NOT.

The 370 is a far better proposition.

Where did WHF mention it was a "deal", similar or otherwise?

A

Anonymous

from what i can make out the s380 is the newer version with additional feature such as

quick start up

2 usb ports

PAL progressive

Playback compatibility for AVCHD

additional decoding Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD and Dolby True HD decoding

Component video socket.

Composite.

and 0.5 kg heavier

A

Anonymous

The op was right... sony bdp-s380 £69.99 @ argos i just got one for my daughters room!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well the BDP380 only exists at Argos so God knows what's going on. As bizarre as it sounds my only take on this is that you get a BDP-S380 for £69-99 if you order the BDP380.

I wouldn't have paid full wack for it but it's an awesome little machine. I literally only want a disc spinner - mainly for DVD's - and it does one hell of a job IMO. Thought my 360 was pretty damned good but this is getting in to night and day territory.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I just bought one too for the bedroom & paid £64.99 for it as i had a £5 Argos voucher, absolute bargain.

Anyone know if i can use it with any wireless dongle or do you have to use the Sony one?

A

Anonymous

Sizzers said:
Well the BDP380 only exists at Argos so God knows what's going on. As bizarre as it sounds my only take on this is that you get a BDP-S380 for £69-99 if you order the BDP380. I wouldn't have paid full wack for it but it's an awesome little machine. I literally only want a disc spinner - mainly for DVD's - and it does one hell of a job IMO. Thought my 360 was pretty damned good but this is getting in to night and day territory.
:O

:p