• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-55ec9300-201410203929.htm

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The review confirms what I've read elsewhere -- LG's OLED TVs can't be calibrated to Rec.709 and include undefeatable DNR. This is disappointing whilst LG remains the only manufacturer seriously pressing ahead with OLED TV production.

I'm not sure of the extent to which the calibration issues are inherent to LG's WOLED technology, or primarily software based. If it's the former then this could WOLED's Achilles' heel. If it's the latter then these calibration problems are potentially solveable.

The DNR issue is undoubtedly software based and there's no reason (as far as I can tell) that LG can't hand control back to users (I think the equivalent Japanese model is free of this forced DNR quirk).

In all, there's good news and bad news; and for ardent videophiles, the bad possibly outweighs the good.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
The review confirms what I've read elsewhere -- LG's OLED TVs can't be calibrated to Rec.709 and include undefeatable DNR. This is disappointing whilst LG remains the only manufacturer seriously pressing ahead with OLED TV production.

I'm not sure of the extent to which the calibration issues are inherent to LG's WOLED technology, or primarily software based. If it's the former then this could WOLED's Achilles' heel. If it's the latter then these calibration problems are potentially solveable.

The DNR issue is undoubtedly software based and there's no reason (as far as I can tell) that LG can't hand control back to users (I think the equivalent Japanese model is free of this forced DNR quirk).

In all, there's good news and bad news; and for ardent videophiles, the bad possibly outweighs the good.
Would you recommend me then having it calibrated? I think I read something about the black levels being even darker? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

I see what you are saying you will get Dnr as a result. Not worth me doing then?

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
I see what you are saying you will get Dnr as a result. Not worth me doing then?
I am pretty happy at the moment anyway to be honest and need the money.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Looking back over Vincent's review, your TV seems to calibrate well, which suggests the issue isn't inherent to LG's WOLED technology, but rather a problem afflicting the newer model. (I know Vincent posts on here from time to time. Perhaps he can confirm.)

The digital noise reduction issue isn't related to calibration. I'm not sure if your TV forces DNR, or if the problem is again isolated to the latest model.

Vincent's review of your TV states that DNR is "acceptable at baseline." I'm not sure what this means. (Again maybe Vincent can confirm.) There may be forced DNR, but it has little to no effect on picture quality. I wouldn't worry about this, especially since there's nothing you could do about it.

I think Jules has calibrated a few 980Ws and praised their performance. Based on what I've read, it should be OK to calibrate your TV. In fact, your 930W seems to outperform the new model in several areas. Looks like a good buy to me mate!

If you're thinking of calibrating it's worth having a chat with Jules (or Vincent/David, or whoever) to get their view. After all, I'm just a hobbyist/enthusiast with no hands-on experience of either TV.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Looking back over Vincent's review, your TV seems to calibrate well, which suggests the issue isn't inherent to LG's WOLED technology, but rather a problem afflicting the newer model. (I know Vincent posts on here from time to time. Perhaps he can confirm.)

The digital noise reduction issue isn't related to calibration. I'm not sure if your TV forces DNR, or if the problem is again isolated to the latest model.

Vincent's review of your TV states that DNR is "acceptable at baseline." I'm not sure what this means. (Again maybe Vincent can confirm.) There may be forced DNR, but it has little to no effect on picture quality. I wouldn't worry about this, especially since there's nothing you could do about it.

I think Jules has calibrated a few 980Ws and praised their performance. Based on what I've read, it should be OK to calibrate your TV. In fact, your 930W seems to outperform the new model in several areas. Looks like a good buy to me mate!

If you're thinking of calibrating it's worth having a chat with Jules (or Vincent/David, or whoever) to get their view. After all, I'm just a hobbyist/enthusiast with no hands-on experience of either TV.
Cheers mate - makes sense. I thought my TV was better I definitely got that impression from all the reviews and comments.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
To add to the above, anyone in the market for an OLED TV might be best advised to buy the 980W at outgoing prices, rather than the incoming 9300; so again, looks like you made a good purchase!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Jules posted this on AV yesterday, which indicates that the 980W calibrates very well:

"Oh my! I am calibrating a 980W for one of my clients right now and I just had to post because I'm that excited by what I'm seeing. I have calibrated hundreds of TVs over the past few years but the calibrated picture from the 980W is in a different league. Amazing! Zero black level combined with great brightness gives a superb dynamic range. Shadow detail is excellent and the colours are terrifically accurate - I'm calibrating with a Lumagen Mini3d (125 point advanced colour calibration). The picture looks wonderfully clean too compared to plasma. Motion is LCD-like but at least there's no DFC or IR. I've checked and this set has no bad pixels either. I wish I could take it home with me."

Sounds pretty good to me!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I remember Vincent saying that LG is only interested in selling TVs. They don't care about calibration or picture perfection. They just happen to make TVs with best available technology.

Sure, though Gel's TV seems to calibrate very well and was worthy of a "Reference" award, while the new 9300 was only "Recommended" and can't be calibrated at all.

I know which model I'd rather own, admittedly based on review data and secondary research rather than direct comparison and first hand experience.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
No idea why LG decided this move with the 2nd generation. Hope it's not repeated in subsequent generations.

The calibration problems are perhaps a consequence of cost-cutting exercises, though I've no idea why LG would choose to scrub out picture detail by forcing DNR, especially when this doesn't seem true of the equivalent Japanese model.

Also, if you look at HDTV Test's 9300 review, there's a photo capture of the menu screen that reveals odd tints to different areas. This suggests greyscale is inconsistent across the panel, which may well translate to normal viewing.

Shame, really.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Jules posted this on AV yesterday, which indicates that the 980W calibrates very well:

"Oh my! I am calibrating a 980W for one of my clients right now and I just had to post because I'm that excited by what I'm seeing. I have calibrated hundreds of TVs over the past few years but the calibrated picture from the 980W is in a different league. Amazing! Zero black level combined with great brightness gives a superb dynamic range. Shadow detail is excellent and the colours are terrifically accurate - I'm calibrating with a Lumagen Mini3d (125 point advanced colour calibration). The picture looks wonderfully clean too compared to plasma. Motion is LCD-like but at least there's no DFC or IR. I've checked and this set has no bad pixels either. I wish I could take it home with me."

Sounds pretty good to me!
Cheers mate! Sounds fantastic!

D

Deleted member 2457

Richer Sounds are now selling the old ones for £1800 if anyone can find stock.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Are you considering getting your 980W calibrated then, Gel?

I know what I'd so; and if newer models come loaded with problems, you might have bagged yourself an OLED Kuro equivalent -- namely a TV that remains the reference for a good few years.

Be sure to let me know if you decide to sell it!

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Are you considering getting your 980W calibrated then, Gel?

I know what I'd so; and if newer models come loaded with problems, you might have bagged yourself an OLED Kuro equivalent -- namely a TV that remains the reference for a good few years.

Be sure to let me know if you decide to sell it!
I thought a bagged a good one, that's why I done it, that and I fancied 55inches for a TV. I think I will get it calibrated but probably after Xmas now. I am not in a rush to do it, I am still getting used to it. I think BBB has first choice on it, but you are definitely now second, if you still wish to buy it in the future.

I am glad when my purchases go to good homes. Cheers.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I think BBB has first choice on it, but you are definitely now second, if you still wish to buy it in the future.

No worries mate.

For what it's worth I think you should keep this TV for a while.

I've generally "upgraded" my TV in the hope of escaping problems I've encountered with previous models (thanks Panasonic).

If your "reference" 980W works properly, why gamble with newer models that are manufactured with cost-cutting in mind? Simply sit back and enjoy. Happy days!

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
I think BBB has first choice on it, but you are definitely now second, if you still wish to buy it in the future.

No worries mate.

For what it's worth I think you should keep this TV for a while.

I've generally "upgraded" my TV in the hope of escaping problems I've encountered with previous models (thanks Panasonic).

If your "reference" 980W works properly, why gamble with newer models that are manufactured with cost-cutting in mind? Simply sit back and enjoy. Happy days!
Yep, cheers.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Get Vincent in to do yours and pay the premium - he has good experience of claibrating your set and now knows a bit of how to set one up, which is priceless

Cant buy experience - I think calibration will make as much difference as it always does - like having a new tv all over again every time when done right

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Get Vincent in to do yours and pay the premium - he has good experience of claibrating your set and now knows a bit of how to set one up, which is priceless

Cant buy experience - I think calibration will make as much difference as it always does - like having a new tv all over again every time when done right
Cheers for the tip.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:

I second that, Vincent calibrated my VT and did a top job.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:

This was obviously just a suggestion not a statement based on what someone else wrote that Vincet wrote. He obviously is very impressed and now has experience with the set you know for sure

Sure other calibrators can do it as well though . 0 black and high contrast without crush is enough to make anyone well Gel

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
ellisdj said:

This was obviously just a suggestion not a statement based on what someone else wrote that Vincet wrote. He obviously is very impressed and now has experience with the set you know for sure

Sure other calibrators can do it as well though . 0 black and high contrast without crush is enough to make anyone well Gel
Yep. On Man of Steel though faces were a bit pale calibrated? That's my only complaint though. What do you think?

D

Deleted member 2457

Mind you I watched it last night on my Oled and faces were a tad over red! Any thoughts? Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts