Oldboy what made you buy a new TV?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey Oldboy

Being a bit nosy but what made you decide to buy the panny 42gt30? Did you have an issue with your 42g20 or did you just want to get a better tv mate?

I would be interested to see your thoughts on your new set as I am really thinking of getting the 46 or 50 inch version wifes nod permitting. Have you opted for the 3D glasses mate? Have you noticed an issues with the set?

Jamie

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello Jamie,

Good to hear from you again, where shall i start? Well if i'm being completely honest i was never entirely happy with the G20, and when i went looking at this years tvs my thoughts were that the G20 picture was a little soft and lacking in detail when compared to this years tvs and that black levels were even higher on the 2011 range and edging ever nearer to Kuro levels of plasma than ever before.

The instances of IR were the major deciding factor for me when it came to deciding to get a new plasma this year as it never cleared up, true it only ever happened when using the ps3 but it became an annoyance that i couldn't tolerate. Interestingly the GT30 has a pixel orbiter option to help erradicate IR plus it has a srolling bar screen wash so i'm much more comfortable that IR shouldn't be as big an issue with this tv.

I must say that i'm currently still in the run in period (1st 200hrs) of my tv so i can't really judge completely just yet but what i'm sure of even now is that the GT30 represents a huge leap in PQ over the G20! Detail levels are exceptional, i watched Avatar last night and was knocked back at the extra detail on offer. I had watched it a few times on the G20 and been impressed but the GT30 blew it away, i don't want to gush but it's a night and day difference, all aspects of the picture are ramped up including superior colour, contast, black levels and black detail, motion handling...the list goes on.

It's a far more stylish tv with some lovely little touches that make it feel like a premium tv, i like the silver detail around the screen which seperates it with the bezel and on the outer edge of the bezel the silver is repeated...it's these little details that really make it look stylish. The bezel itself is alot slimmer than the G20 and the entire footprint of the tv is smaller, it's incredibly thin for a plasma too and looks lovely hung on my wall, it's is solidly built too and the menus no longer have a 'Fisher Price' look like pervious Panasonic menus. Oh and the Viera connect internet content is far better on the GT30, you get BBC iPlayer for example and can pick and choose what you want on it now from a list of available apps which is really nice.

I've had no issues with the tv apart from the fact that it thrives on HD but isn't so keen on SD material but it never disgraces itself it's just that HD material is so lovely when compared to SD but then that's what you should expect, no? But i would say that the G20 was slighlty better with SD tv channels as the GT30 is a little noisier but that's all i can find in way of a very slight issue but it's such a slight complaint that you could dismiss it out of hand if you wish as it's really hard to find fault.

This is getting like an essay now so i will try to wrap it up :rofl: . I've gone for 3D specs (2 pairs) as they were included for free with the deal on the tv BUT Richer Sounds are out of stock so i will receive these as soon as they get them but i've been assured that i will definately receive them so i can't tell you what the 3D performance is like i'm afraid.

I've got to say that i'm very happy that i got the GT30 as it's such a clear step up from the G20 and much more like the sort of tv i wanted when i bought that, if you can convince the other half to get on board then i can't think of anything i can say to discourage you, infact i couldn't recommend it more, and you know how fussy i can be when it comes to tvs :D

Best regards Jamie,

Nick.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Great insight - thanks for that, Nick. :) Tallies with our feelings re 42GT20 and 42GT30, too: clear step up in performance for Panasonic at that level/price this year.

There'll be a longer review of the Panasonic TX-P42GT30 in our next issue (being posted out to subscribers today; in shops/avaialble for download on 24th), as part of a VERY interesting 40-42in TV Supertest.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
You are more than welcome Clare, glad to be of service :)

I have to say i'm waiting with bated breath for the results of the TV supertest this month...as you can imagine after just getting the 42GT30 i'm hoping it's not marked down against superior competition as has happened in a few tests over the years but i've got my fingers crossed that i've bought a winner. Can't wait for the new mag to come out now.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Oldboy said:
I have to say i'm waiting with bated breath for the results of the TV supertest this month...as you can imagine after just getting the 42GT30 i'm hoping it's not marked down against superior competition as has happened in a few tests over the years but i've got my fingers crossed that i've bought a winner.

Why does that matter?

I've got to say that i'm very happy that i got the GT30

THAT'S all that matters...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Yep ok hands up to that one you are right it doesn't matter atall it's more a case of stupid pride of ownership which i really shouldn't be bothered by atall but somehow i feel better knowing i've bought a winning tv, i put alot of research into this tv before i bought it and auditioned several alternatives so i guess i'm just hoping my opinion tallies with WHF and that my eyes were good enough to spot the differences. A little stupid, but true.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The TV had 5 stars when you bought it, you can't ask for anything more than that, what happens after that is out of your hands. Not worth worrying about, chillax, put your feet up, watch some TV...

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
The TV had 5 stars when you bought it, you can't ask for anything more than that, what happens after that is out of your hands. Not worth worrying about, chillax, put your feet up, watch some TV...

Point taken, you are right of course and i intend to do exactly that when i get home this evening :)

A

Anonymous

Great review Oldboy

I am really happy that you love the set so much that is fantastic news as I know how much bad luck you have had over the last 2 years or so. I noticed the pixel orbitor and scrolling bar in comet on the gt30 which is about time I say. Weird though at the vt30 only has the pixel orbitor!

It does amaze me how just 12 months time brings along such impovments in tv tech though it is in their interest I guess to drip feed us with the improvments eh? Now gotta start persuading the misses to flog our dog of a sony and go for a panny! Did you sell your g20 on mate?

Jamie.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Snakey said:
Great review Oldboy

I am really happy that you love the set so much that is fantastic news as I know how much bad luck you have had over the last 2 years or so. I noticed the pixel orbitor and scrolling bar in comet on the gt30 which is about time I say. Weird though at the vt30 only has the pixel orbitor!

It does amaze me how just 12 months time brings along such impovments in tv tech though it is in their interest I guess to drip feed us with the improvments eh? Now gotta start persuading the misses to flog our dog of a sony and go for a panny! Did you sell your g20 on mate?

Jamie.

Don't jinx it jamie....now you have said that i'm bound to encounter an issue LOL and thank you for the compliment as i did try to give an honest assesment of the tv.

Funny you should mention the vt30's lack of pixel orbiter as i noticed that when i auditioned both tvs at the Panasonic store, the salesman couldn't tell me why it was missing from the vt30 but he thought it was a different screen in the vt30 and that perhaps it was less of an issue as a result but he couldn't be certain that was the case. WHF would probably know the answer to this one so any light they could shine on this would be appreciated.

I couldn't beleive the difference between the two tv's and as you say, a year in tv tech is a long time these days...it must surely have something to do with Panasonic recruiting alot of the Kuro team to their plasma division!

Yes i did sell my G20 as it's too big for the bedroom and i got a fair price for it from a friend that lessened the impact to my pocket when i got the GT30 :D plus i've got a 32" Samsung LED in the bedroom thats just perfect for what i use it for and has a minimal footprint and keeps the Mrs happy as the bedroom isn't dominated by tech like the living room. Time to start getting your Mrs on side now and get rid of that dog of a Sony you have, you must of had enough of that by now eh!

Nick.

A

Anonymous

:wave: Hi Oldboy. Thank you for your thoughts in respect of the posters question. May I say that you are a great credit to this What Hi Fi Forum the way you give advice, help, information etc. to anyone who needs it.

Plus of course your own posts as well. If everyone who visited any Forum where like you the world would be a better place for it. :clap:

Clare Newsome is also acredit to What Hi Fi the way she keeps a handle on everything here. :clap:

You do not get that in many places on the Internet I can tell you. :grin:

A

Anonymous

Hey Oldboy

well done for getting rid of your old tv for a good price not easy to do these days.

I think the vt30 has the pixel orbitor but not the scrolling bar!

How are you getting on with all the side hdmi ports? are they far awayenough from the edge of the tv so your cables do not show mate?

BTW do you invest in really good HDMI'S? and what length are they? Being that your set is on the wall!! This is something I am thinking of doing but of course hiding the cables is then a must for me and that of course will mean longer cables! I currently have 2 ven den hul flats at 1m one for sky and one for ps3. But as they are not the most flexible cable I think a cable upgrade is on the cards.

Will be interested in wht you think of the 3D when you recieve the glasses. When I looked at the 50 inch version I was very impressed with the 3D on that baby. I also did not notice the 50htz issue most reported with the v20 and I looked on the VT30 and GT30 but then again I did not really notice it on the G20 and V20. And as you I have got a keen eye for faults
wink.gif

Off to take advantage of Cineworld unlimited and watch Super 8. I saw planet of the Apes which really did surprise me it was good.

Jamie.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
boozercruiser said:
:wave: Hi Oldboy. Thank you for your thoughts in respect of the posters question. May I say that you are a great credit to this What Hi Fi Forum the way you give advice, help, information etc. to anyone who needs it.

Plus of course your own posts as well. If everyone who visited any Forum where like you the world would be a better place for it. :clap:

Clare Newsome is also acredit to What Hi Fi the way she keeps a handle on everything here. :clap:

You do not get that in many places on the Internet I can tell you. :grin:

Thank you for your kind words :oops:

The WHF forum is full of posters as helpful as me so to single me out for praise, although very welcome, feels strange and a touch embarassing as i've received valuable advice from a great deal of members on this forum when i have got stuck with a problem or issue that i was unable to solve on my own.

It really is the only forum i would trust 100% for advice and since joining i have only looked at other forums to remind me how nasty and unhelpful they can be, many just degenerate into a slanging match with it all getting far too personal and spiteful! Of course there is the occasional nugget of useful information to be gained from other AV related forums but it's few and far between and none of them have such a knowledgable team that add to forum topics like WHF, imo this is the best forum of it's kind and a credit to all involved with it.

I trust your tv has been working well since you got it back with no more issues?

Best regards, Nick :cheers:

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all for kind words
:oops: :oops:

We're here to help if can, and all whole team of moderators do try and keep things constructive. The mag is and always has been a Buyers' Guide; we're merely translating that online, with the added help of many consumers with excellent insight :)

Keep the questions coming and we - or the community - will try and find answers :)

A

Anonymous

Hey Oldboy.

I think the VT30 had the pixel orbitor but not the scrolling bar!

One thing I was wondering was about the HDMI ports on your new TV are they far enough into to tv so that your cables do not show from the side? Reason I ask is that I use 2 Van Den Hul flats at 1m length (one for sky and one for Ps3) which are not the most flexible of a cable! Just wondered if you had to invest in different cables? Maybe hinged HDMI'S?.. Also as you mount your TV on the wall (this is something I am considering) how do you hide your cables? And did you have to get longer cables for that reason? As some people do not consider spending more than a few quid on cables as it is not worth it! And some people spend a fortune on them (I am kind of on the fence) I just wanted to know where you stand on this matey?

I will be interested to hear what you think of the 3D on your new TV when you recieve your glasses that is? As when I looked at the GT30 and VT30 on a demo at comet (panasonic set up) both the 50 inch panel I could not really see the advantage of the VT30 over the GT30 but maybe that is something that is better observed at home as are most things and not in store? I did not notice the 50htz issue on either TV now I come to think of it but I also never really saw that on last years range either which is strange as I am pretty good at noticing faults which drives the misses mad! But now I think of it I have only seen all these mentioned TV'S on a Panny set up! I also really hope that the floating black issue has gone now as i know that would annoy the hell out of me! The IFC system seems much better though which is great.

Sorry for way too many questions on one post mate! and so many of these (!!!!!) and these(????)
bounce.gif

Off to take advantage of our cineworld unlimited passes and watch cowboys and aliens now. (saw super 8 and planet of the apes yesterday 2 completley different films but to my surprise I loved them both).

Jamie....

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jamie,

The cables are an issue! The tv has most ports facing down from the bottom of the tv and you have to use the supplied cable extenders in order to connect the tv, the optical for example plugs into what seems like a standard headpnone conection and the extender lets you plug a toshlink optical into it. There is no way of connecting a scart straight to the back of the tv so that comes with a specific cable that plugs in and then leaves an unsightly scart connector plus the scart you plug in hanging down from the wall so i plan to upgrade to a Virgin HD box and ditch the scarts completely as there is no way of hiding such a large connector, even the standard RF and sattelite connections have extenders!

What i plan to do is use a cable conduit that seperates signal and power cables, mount that to the wall and run all the cables up that and paint it the same colour as my wall to lose the cables, once i get the new Vbox.

The HDMI cables are an issue however and wont go into the conduit unless i buy some sort of hinge for them, i need to buy a new cable for 3d and am going to get a Wireworld Chroma 6 for the 3d from my Panasonic 310 bd player as my amp has no 3d pass through so i will need a solution for the 2 HDMI cables as they do stick out from the side and are hard to hide but i'm looking into it currently. My only concern is that i may lose video and sound quality if i introduce some sort of hdmi hinge connector to the signal path...can't seem to get any answers regarding this at present!

All my current cables have been long enough however so i've not had to replace anything i just need to buy an extra hdmi cable for the 3d but there is no hurry for that untill i get the 3d specs i'm owed.

The 50hz issue is still there but it's much less pronounced this year and it's only with football that i've noticed anything on the GT30 but it is there if you want to look hard enough, when the camera pans quickly from one side of the pitch to the other you do get the half way line repeating itself a little but it's not distracting like last year and apart from that i've not seen it during normal viewing or movies.

As for the floating blacks i can't say i can judge just yet due to the tv still being run in but i have noticed a few very slight instances of brightness or contrast changes during the first few days of having the tv but they seem to have settled down now and i've not had an issue over the last 2-3 days.

What i have noticed are some inconsistances with the screen...during a pan from left to right or vice versa you can clearly see some lines in the screen where colour, contrast and brightness is different to the rest of the screen which span the entire height of the screen in thin lines. I'm slightly concerned about this ,i must admit, and as i've calibrated correctly i know there is nothing i can do about it, i may phone my retailer as all the tvs i auditioned never showed these lines :cry:

I hope it's just a run in issue as they aren't always visible so i will wait untill it's had 200 hrs and decide then if it's an issue but it may just be me looking for issues rather than just watching the tv :pray:

Don't worry about the many questions i just hope i've answered them all?? Will keep you posted with the tv as it runs in but don't hesitate if you have more questions, i'm happy to oblige mate!

Best regards, Nick :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the review Nick.

I am now considering the GT30B either in 42" or 46", and I sit at 10 feet from tv at shortest viewing position.

How far do you sit from the TV and did you consider the 46"?

Thanks,

Paul.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
pauled51 said:
Thanks for the review Nick.

I am now considering the GT30B either in 42" or 46", and I sit at 10 feet from tv at shortest viewing position.

How far do you sit from the TV and did you consider the 46"?

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Yes i did indeed consider the 46" version and was sorely tempted! I sit about 7 - 8 feet away from the tv so it was borderline if a 46" was the right size tv for me but what really swayed it for me was the cost of the 46" as i was on a tight budget and realistically it was just out of my reach financially. If i had the money then i think i may well have gone for it even though i probably would have needed to rearrange the lounge to get the suitable viewing distance but i'm happy with the 42" at my viewing distance, but as you sit further away than i do then i would get the 46" version as i feel a 42" may be just a little too small for your needs.

Regards,

Nick.

A

Anonymous

Nick,

Many thanks for the reply. I was swayed towards the 46", and you have confirmed that.

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Hey Oldboy

Not to sound stupid but what is a toshlink optical connector? And does your TV have normal stereo line out jacks as I only at present use my hifi system and need optical or stereo line out!

Regarding your HDMI'S I have seen more hinged cables popping up more lately but that is more outlay of course! Have you considered sky HD or can you not use a dish mate? It is just they have so many more HD channels if you are thinking of upgrading to HD box that is?

I really need to get out and have a proper look at the new panasonics. I will be interested to hear what the gaming lag is when you play your ps3 on it mate! I have heard it is around 20ms which sounds good to me I wonder if that will be hight with IFC enabled?

Jamie

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Jamie,

Toshlink is just the name given to the standard optical plug that is on the end of most optical cables. My tv does have standard stereo line out jacks but again cable extenders are supplied that plug into the back of the tv and you then plug your stereo cables into these to make the connection so you are covered on both bases for connecting to your hi-fi.

Still not sure what i will do regarding the hdmi cables...still researching at the mo, i won't get Sky as that would require getting reconnected to BT as the previous occupant cut the wires and blanked off the connection on the wall and at last estimate that was about £150 just for putting the connection right! I have numerous other reasons for not wanting Sky however, i have optical 30mb broadband that Sky can't provide, the cost of Sky, needing to get permission for a dish, not wanting to give any member of the Murdoch family any cash unless i have to and the fact that i simply don't watch enough tv to justify the monthly bill.

I have my phone, broadband and tv with virgin already and it's not atall expensive for what i receive and have never had any issues plus if i get a Virgin HD box it's just a £50 fee and that's it, no catches unless i add tv services.

I know that sounds very anti sky but i'm not (i used to install Sky for a living!) it just isn't worth it for my circumstances, the only thing i want is the football and i can get all of that on Virgin so to switch is pointless.

You may have to wait for my thoughts on the gaming lag on the tv as it may be going back to Richer Sounds soon, i'm not happy with the lines on the screen and feel it's not acceptable on a £1000 tv...not a happy chappy |(

UPDATE: see other thread as the tv is going back!

A

Anonymous

Hey Oldboy

Well jelous of your 30mb connection BTW reason alone to stick with virgin. I have never lived in an area where it is wired up in this day and age! Should move to the isle of man they have giga bit connections for peanuts according to the bbc. I had my line installed by talk talk for 60 quid well it was bt but via talk talk I think sky do this too but they just took so long when we moved. I am with you on other things I hate giving that a hole more money and I am seriously thinking of a virgin media tevo box especially as they have 3 tuners.

i understand panny making these extensions to the cables to keep costs or space usage down as samsung do the same i just hope performane does not suffer.

Fingers crossed for your replacment. Look at it as your first ever tv:)

A

Anonymous

The one thing I have always regreted over the years is not buying a bigger TV than what I purchased. Like when I moved to this property I purchased a 42" Panasonic (Yes...that one!) thinking..."That will be big enough" but then had in mind after buying

"I wish I had purchased bigger" :cry:

However, I moved that set into the dining room and purchased a 50" Panasonic TX-P50G10B and am watching that at a distance of just under 14' which to my mind looks perfect and about right.

Go bigger is my advice, and my Missus agrees! :D

"The WHF forum is full of posters as helpful as me so to single me out for praise, although very welcome, feels strange and a touch embarassing as i've received valuable advice from a great deal of members on this forum when i have got stuck with a problem or issue that i was unable to solve on my own."

I did not wish to embarass you Old Boy...and yes of course what I had to say about you can also be applied to many many more who post here.

The thing is, so many of us (including me) can tend to complain a lot about whatever or whoever but can then fail to give praise when it is due also. I just wanted to do that!

B.T.W. My Panasonic which came back for repair after the 'Red Light Of Death' issue is working lovely now thank you.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Snakey said:
Hey Oldboy

Well jelous of your 30mb connection BTW reason alone to stick with virgin. I have never lived in an area where it is wired up in this day and age! Should move to the isle of man they have giga bit connections for peanuts according to the bbc. I had my line installed by talk talk for 60 quid well it was bt but via talk talk I think sky do this too but they just took so long when we moved. I am with you on other things I hate giving that a hole more money and I am seriously thinking of a virgin media tevo box especially as they have 3 tuners.

i understand panny making these extensions to the cables to keep costs or space usage down as samsung do the same i just hope performane does not suffer.

Fingers crossed for your replacment. Look at it as your first ever tv:)

LOL...Virgin are trialling a 200mb connection if i remember correctly some time this year and i can already receive 100mb connection at my home if i wish to pay for the privelage but 30mb is enough for my usage at the moment but it is tempting just to see how much difference it makes. Would like a Tivo like you but again i just don't watch enough tv to justify the high price tag but it is a lovely peice of kit and if you watch enough tv then it's well worth getting, shame you can't get Virgin cable....i thought most of the UK had it now, do you live in a remote place of the country then?

The cable extensions are a pain in the *ss though, there are lots of them and they are going to be hard to hide. I'm now thinking about larger trunking for the signal cables and a small one next to it for the power cables as they need to be seperated, i haven't notice any drop in performance from them though which is nice.

Putting the replacement tv on the wall tonight, fingers crossed :pray:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
boozercruiser,

Many thanks agian for your comments :cheers: any praise is more than welcome and not enough people take the time to do it so thank you!

I agree bigger is almost certainly better most of the time ;) but if the tv is too big then you start to see the pixels and that's when i think the image suffers and you lose picture quality, it's when it gets to that point that the screen is too big for the room imo but i know some people who prefer that so it's also a case of personal taste.

Good to hear the tv is still going strong :bounce:

Best regards,

Nick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts