Old Yamaha reciever up to the job?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have just bought a 40" samsung led tv + sony bdp-370 blue ray player. However my surround system is a little bit more dated - although I love it and it has performed admirably up to this point. I have KEF Q35 floor stand speakers, eltax liberty centre and old KEF speakers as rear surround. The yamaha rx-v620rds reciever i feel is brilliant but when new kit arrives in a few weeks i want it to work with new kit. Will it? or do i need to upgrade this kit as well?

John Duncan

It will, but it'll only encode Dolby Digital 5.1, not the higher def soundtracks available on bluray.

To get the full benefit (though you may be perfectly happy with it as it is) you'll need to update your receiver to one that can encode newer soundtracks, or get a Bluray player with analogue outs (eg Cambridge 650BD) that can plug into the 6-channel in on the Yamaha.

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
Yo won't be able to connect your blu ray player except via component which won't give you the best picture quality and as JD says you'll only get DD or DTS sound. It's worth spending on an newer amp to fully appreciate the HD picture and sound quality from your new tv/blu ray

John Duncan

Well you can connect the bluray via HDMI direct to the telly and via digital out to the amp, thus keeping the image quality, but high-def sound is a no-no. Not sure whether the 370 can deal with any lip-sync issues arising (haven't had to try with mine).

As I say, try it first, upgrade amp or BD player later (player might be cheaper)...

A

Anonymous

Does the TV have optical out? If so you can connect the Blueray via HDMI to the TV and then connect the TV via optical to the Amp, this means that the amp is not used for video switching though will do a decent job with the audio. The amp sync settings can then handle any lip sync issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts