admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Opinions required on the best way of renewing my old Hifi system and in which order.

Amp Techincs SU VX600

Disc Technics SL PG 400A

Technics ST G570L - Tuner

Cambridge Audio DAB 500 - Receiver

Mission 2 way reflex speakers?

All suggestions and advice appreciated budget around 500 - 600 per item.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
First item first and budget

Mission 2 way reflex speakers - £1,000
Amp Techincs SU VX600 - £500
Disc Technics SL PG 400A - £500
Technics ST G570L - no replacement needed
Cambridge Audio DAB 500 - does this need changing

Spend the rest on a power amp.

I'm assuming you have decent cables and stands/supports

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I'd agree on the suggestion of keeping the tuners and diverting the funds into the other components. If it were my money (oh, if only...) Naim would be top of my audition list.

T

the record spot

Room size? Preferences (source, music, brands...)?

A

Anonymous

Room size 15' x 12'

Music types are mainly easy music Stereophonics, Dido, James Blunt Bon Jovi.

Mainly CD and Radio.

Looking for an all rounder syste, seperates or complete system manufacturer.

Not a HiFi buff but do appreciate good sound.

T

the record spot

Radio - Quad FM4, Leak Troughline, see www.fmtunerinfo for other options (invaluable in your case I think) both used models but will leave just about anything else in their wake. the possible exception is the Magnum Dynalab which Andrew Everard recommends highly too. Expect to pay approx £200 upwards. If you like radio that much, take a good look for one of these, get a good FM aerial, sit back and feel smug.

CD - any number of options out there, Rotel RCD 1072, Marantz SA7001 KI-Sig, Roksan Kandy, Pioneer PD-D6-J, Exposure 2010S, Rega Apollo, etc. £500/£600 nets you a brilliant higher end player if you go down the used market route - maybe even into Eastern Electric Minimax territory.

Speakers - Leema Xero's, Dali Ikon's, Tannoy Revolutions or Epos M12s all around the £600 mark.

Amp - Rotel RA-02 (yes, £250 well spent and punches above its weight), Naim Nait 5i, Roksan's Kandy, the Cyrus 6vs if you don't mind it a little lean (which might not fit in with your music) or - again - the used market can deliver some choice items at this price point.

All in one: Arcam Solo Mini, or Linn Classik - speakers as above and could maybe even justify higher too.

Happy hunting!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well, if I were you, I would be picking up some absolute bargains at the moment as these models are just being replaced but still sound fantastic and would suit your style of music perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-fMj-A32-Integrated-amplifier_W0QQitemZ150271485877QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-FMJ-CD36-Cd-Player-Brand-New-Silver_W0QQitemZ170227465785QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Try Sevenoaks, Lintone Audio and Moorgate Acoustics and try to get both from one retailer to save on postage and a bit of negotiation.

Partner these with speakers such as:

Dali Ikon 6
ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures
Spendor SA1
Tannoy Revolution Signature DC6T
ProAc Studio 140
PMC GB1i or DB1i
Neat Motive 3

That will give you a fantastic sound, always best to audition though.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your advise.

The information gives me a good starting point and I can now begin to look round and begin replacing items.

I have read different reviews over the last few months but not being particulary clued up on Hifi, what you read all becomes a bit of a blure.

It's interesting to see that you recommend secondhand equipment and last years stock, it all helps to ensure I can get quality, reduced price items and allocate the savings to more expensive kit.

T

the record spot

Yup, very true; gear that was hot two years ago isn't past it now. In the Leak Troughline's case, make that over 35 years ago....!

A

Anonymous

I can recommend to you the Arcam FMJ A32 99%, the only problem I had with it was you need to get bannana clips for the speaker terminals to sort out the bass department.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts