Old system needs a new amplifier

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am a classical music fan, but don't know much about hi fi system. My hi fi system is more than 15 years old and the Musical Fidelity A1 amplifier has to be replaced(due to phono channel's noise, the amplifier has been repaired once by Musical Fidelity and class A amplifier can be very hot) . I need your advice.

Turntable: Dual 505-2; CD Player: Sony 338ESD; Ampifier: (Musical Fidelity A1); Loudspeakers: Musical Fidelity MC4; Speaker cable: QED.

Is Marantz PM6002 a good replacement?

I mostly listen to classical music (~90%), also Easy-listening, Folks etc(~10%). Music room is small.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Assuming you're happy with your system in general, cheapest solution may be to buy an outboard phono stage to plug into a spare line in. NAD or Project for example. It's stretching my memory but didn't the MF always run hot? If so, why worry?

Posting on this site and buying a new amp could start you on the rocky road of upgradeitis.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your recommendation. I haven't used any outboard phono stage before, and will look at it. I am thinking whether buying a new system in the future or just buying a new amplifier, your suggestion is a very good idea for the former option.

MF A1 is a class A amplifier, it is always hot so long as the amp is on, even if it is idle. What worries me is that it might be dangerous if I forget to switch it off and leave it on for a long time in the wooden cabinet. As far as I know, a class A amp is theoretically better than a class B or A/B amp, although class A amp is poor in terms of efficacy.

It is always diffult for me to choose a proper amplifier. The first amp I bought was a Nakamichi at shop keeper's suggestion. I found the sound was hard to bear after I set up the hi fi system at home. Later I changed to MF A1 and QED speaker cable (replacing cheap cable bought at shop keeper's suggestion), the sound was improved dramatically.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
The amp should just need space around it to help it not overheat. If you've not had any problems after all this time you'll be fine. Just unplug it before you go on holiday.

If you buy an amp as an upgrade though, your Dual 505 will be hopelessly outclassed. The MF is more than capable of getting the most out of the Dual. It was one of the amps I used to dem an LP12 years ago. I don't know your CD and speakers.

If you like the overall sound, stick with it. A more comprehensive upgrade will cost a grand or so. An ouboard RIAA unit will run to 100 quid or less. You could spend more on an outboard unit, but you'd get the most out of an expensive one by upgrading turntable too.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your comment and useful information. I will buy a new turntable, probably a new system.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
It's just occured to me.
Is your phono stage noise due to the earth cable not being screwed in at the amp end? Are the 4 cartridge leads connected properly?

Looks like you're succumbing to upgradeitis too.

A

Anonymous

Earth cable has been screwed in. Thank you for reminding me.

I have just bought a Marantz PM6002, it's no match for my old MF A1! I realized MF A1 was not bad after all. I'll get it repaired. It is obvious that I must learn more about hi fi system.

A

Anonymous

Have you tried operating the switches repeatedly to clean them as untouches switches can create noise , just an obseration from my own system after switching off main operate them all about ten to twenty times them power back up & test ,might work ?

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your suggestion. I have heard that some technicians operate the switches in that way on different kind of machines.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts