Old speakers' power rating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Yes, I'm referring to passive speakers.

As for the examples - speakers' product pages and HiFi enthusiast websites.

As such it is the power handling ability of a single transducer.
Given a speaker with multiple drivers quoting a RMS figure for the speaker itself is meaningless so a figure for maximum power recommendation is normally quoted.

Reactions: DougK1

arkanoid

Oct 17, 2024
Visit site
As such it is the power handling ability of a single transducer.
Given a speaker with multiple drivers quoting a RMS figure for the speaker itself is meaningless so a figure for maximum power recommendation is normally quoted.

I'm not saying that the RMS is used correctly or makes sense in the example, but it is used.

I can provide a long list of examples with floor-standing and bookshelf passive speakers' product pages but in Polish. Maybe here it's more common to use RMS this way than in English-speaking countries.

Anyway, this is off-topic at his point.

Gray

It would say that's rather obvious
With respect, I have to say that your questions and responses make you come across as a unique combination of expert and novice.

People here have tried to give advice.

You're after an amp for your speakers - but have given no real clue as to what your source(s) might be.

As @nopiano has stated, you will not need 50 watts as a minimum - up to you whether you believe him.

Seriously, good luck with finding what you're after - once you know what it is 👍

arkanoid

Oct 17, 2024
Visit site
With respect, I have to say that your questions and responses make you come across as a unique combination of expert and novice.

People here have tried to give advice.

You're after an amp for your speakers - but have given no real clue as to what your source(s) might be.
With respect, I mentioned at the beginning that I'm thinking about getting an amp for my speakers, but I didn't ask specifically what the amp should be.

Originally I asked to help me decode the speakers' rated power. That's the only reason for this topic.
Some responses were wandering around all over the place though and the amp and speakers' recommendations started appearing.

The expert / novice image is subjective (I guess the just-created forum account doesn't help).
Some responses assume that I know nothing and / or that I repeat some fairytales, just so that later other replies agree with my stances / concerns (clipping and matching the speaker wattage with the amp wattage).

I'm grateful for advice on the topic and the general goodwill.
The longer this thread goes it just shows that people have different experiences and contradictory opinions though, and there is no one objective truth / science (and the scale of disparities is kind of surprising).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS