Old Nordost or new QED speaker cables?

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi, I'm almost afraid to ask this question in case it degenerates again into a debate about whether cables make any difference or whether biwiring has any effect, but anyway, here goes:

I feel that my system currently lacks transparency and sparkle, and have narrowed it down to 2 choices of biwire speaker cables to improve matters : A new set of QED Silver Anniversary XT or a used set of Nordost Super Flatline.

I was wondering whether the 4 star GBP23 Nordost would be superior to the 5 star award winning GBP10 QED? I would be grateful for any opinions.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your advice oldphrt. I have tried single wire/ biwire on my speakers before and biwire works better on my speakers.

The QED Silver Anniversary are silver plated multi strand copper conductors... Would that still be lower resistance than pure copper cables?

The Nordost are very slim (solid core I think) copper cables. Any comments on solid core/multi strand and its effects on resistance?

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Thaiman

Meaning they were so good that you never went back to plain copper.... or you tried them and they were so crap that you never looked back at silver cables again?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I mean I found Silver plated cables did something to the sound! and I didn't like it. Silver is a better conductor, I know....... but somehow I found copper give you a much more natural sounding.
Even the older cablestalk muti copper strains are better than QED Silver Aniversary silver plated ones, imo.

or it may be Placebo effect that play trick with me now and again!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]You say Placebo, and I say Domingo... [/quote]

What Pasta sauce have anything to do with it? :)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
To avoid a cables war with my old friend, I would like to stop at this point
emotion-7.gif

mwinter

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I cannot comment on the flatline, but I have been using Nordost Red Dawn Rev II to feed Sonus Faber Concertos from my Copland CSA 28 integrated amplifier for some years now with truly wonderful results.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts