Old headphones vs new headphones

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I had quite a listening session last night and, for the first time in a while, used all 3 of the headphones I have (Denon AHD7000, Shure SRH1540 and Grado SR80e) through a Meridian Prime amp/DAC.

For many years the Denon has been my 'favourite' headphone and in their day were regarded as a bit of a flagship pair to have. For the first time ever last night, I detected a greater 'muddiness' than I have ever heard before and particularly compared to the others which displayed far greater clarity.

It led me to wonder whether technology has moved on so quickly that older headphones sound definitively worse than newer ones? Or is it my ears?

I am tempted to have a listen to the Denon AHD7200's and compare them to the 7000's. I have always said I would never sell the 7k's but I may revisit that.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
I had quite a listening session last night and, for the first time in a while, used all 3 of the headphones I have (Denon AHD7000, Shure SRH1540 and Grado SR80e) through a Meridian Prime amp/DAC.

For many years the Denon has been my 'favourite' headphone and in their day were regarded as a bit of a flagship pair to have. For the first time ever last night, I detected a greater 'muddiness' than I have ever heard before and particularly compared to the others which displayed far greater clarity.

It led me to wonder whether technology has moved on so quickly that older headphones sound definitively worse than newer ones? Or is it my ears?

I am tempted to have a listen to the Denon AHD7200's and compare them to the 7000's. I have always said I would never sell the 7k's but I may revisit that.

Usually they don't go bad unless exposed to water or chemicals.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Paulq said:
dalethorn said:
Usually they don't go bad unless exposed to water or chemicals.

They haven't. I was referring (and questioning) more to the advance in technology.

I doubt technology has done much of anything for dynamic drivers. The bigger differences I hear are the progress in recording techniques and the recordings themselves, and which headphone designs best match the recordings.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
Just realised you're using Shure. I've heard them yesterday briefly and was really impressed. Anything to be aware of if considering a purchase? Thanks

Hi

I do really like them so a big thumbs up from me - you will love them!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts