Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear....

For some idiotic reason, last night dusted off the the Pulse. It still sounds good - really good. Of course, it doesn't have the control, detail and subtlety of the Tucana, nor would I expect it given the *new* price difference. The Tucana has more layers to instruments and has a bigger soundscape than the Pulse. The difference isn't 'night and day', though.

So do regret buying the Tucana? Nah, not one iota. However, as I've always claimed, there's little or no difference between similarly priced amps, other than tonal and power.

plastic penguin said:
Of course, it doesn't have the control, detail and subtlety of the Tucana, nor would I expect it given the *new* price difference. The Tucana has more layers to instruments and has a bigger soundscape than the Pulse. The difference isn't 'night and day', though.

there's little or no difference between similarly priced amps, other than tonal and power.
I find those two statements a little at odds with each other. The differences you describe in the first quoted paragraph don't relate to tone or power.

When comparing two amplifiers at different price points from the same manufacturer, aren't they going to sound somewhat similar? There won't usually be a difference in tonal balance as they were (presumably) designed and voiced by the same person. Power, sure, there'll be a difference. But surely you'd expect more detail, a bigger and more open soundstage etc. Depending on what the listener is listening for, depends on what they'll hear. Those listening to tonal balance - which I suspect will be more common than anything else - won't hear a difference. Those listening for other aspects that I think very few listen for will hear other differences.

But then, I don't know the Leema pricing, so maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick :)

davidf said:
plastic penguin said:
Of course, it doesn't have the control, detail and subtlety of the Tucana, nor would I expect it given the *new* price difference. The Tucana has more layers to instruments and has a bigger soundscape than the Pulse. The difference isn't 'night and day', though.

there's little or no difference between similarly priced amps, other than tonal and power.
I find those two statements a little at odds with each other. The differences you describe in the first quoted paragraph don't relate to tone or power.

When comparing two amplifiers at different price points from the same manufacturer, aren't they going to sound somewhat similar? There won't usually be a difference in tonal balance as they were (presumably) designed and voiced by the same person. Power, sure, there'll be a difference. But surely you'd expect more detail, a bigger and more open soundstage etc. Depending on what the listener is listening for, depends on what they'll hear. Those listening to tonal balance - which I suspect will be more common than anything else - won't hear a difference. Those listening for other aspects that I think very few listen for will hear other differences.

But then, I don't know the Leema pricing, so maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick :)

Just to clarify: The Pulse, when new, retailed around £1250 ish, while the Tucana is closer to 4k. Between 1-2k the Pulse is a cracker, but doesn't have the all-round game to worry its bigger sibling.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:
Do you want for it?

Might be interested

Given how rare they are becoming now, and it has had its earthing specc'd up to the MKIII version by Leema Acoustics (paperwork to prove), I would be looking around £500. It is a minter.

leave it with me for a few days as i need to think

im interested in that amp as youve sold it time again how good it is

i was going to get some other dynaudio actives so i must think about it careful - have serious buy it now syndrome

Andrewjvt said:
plastic penguin said:
Andrewjvt said:
Do you want for it?

Might be interested

Given how rare they are becoming now, and it has had its earthing specc'd up to the MKIII version by Leema Acoustics (paperwork to prove), I would be looking around £500. It is a minter.

leave it with me for a few days as i need to think

im interested in that amp as youve sold it time again how good it is

i was going to get some other dynaudio actives so i must think about it careful - have serious buy it now syndrome

Yes that's true. But (big BUT) what I have banged on about is what it majors in: Tight, agile bass - bass control - which will blow most other price compatible amps away. Otherwise it is as good as any amp between 1-2k.

insider9 said:
Techradar review mentions in its against column "Some music can sound a little harsh by its nature"

What's the tonal balance of the amp? Neutral, bright, warm?

And one of the online reviews (Stereophile I think) stated that when played with an MC option it could sound sterile.

No harshness, not even when It was driving the MA RS6... but I'm sure if you poorly match any amp it'll have its crtiticsms. Owned it for 7 years... that must tell you something.

Fairly neutral that matches most speakers really well. It's easier to speaker match than a Naim or a Cyrus of the same ilk.

And one of the other big hi-fi mags used the Pulse MKI as one of their testing amps

insider9

plastic penguin said:
insider9 said:
Techradar review mentions in its against column "Some music can sound a little harsh by its nature"

What's the tonal balance of the amp? Neutral, bright, warm?

And one of the online reviews (Stereophile I think) stated that when played with an MC option it could sound sterile.

No harshness, not even when It was driving the MA RS6... but I'm sure if you poorly match any amp it'll have its crtiticsms. Owned it for 7 years... that must tell you something.

Fairly neutral that matches most speakers really well. It's easier to speaker match than a Naim or a Cyrus of the same ilk.

And one of the other big hi-fi mags used the Pulse MKI as one of their testing amps
Let me think about it :) The fact you've used it with RS6 is reassuring as I had RS5 and know the sound signature. Your comments about agile bass are also great to hear. Thanks, will think about.

It is a standard MKI Pulse. It has no built-in Dac. Difference is my Pulse had all the earthing upgraded to a MKIII because shortly after purchase it produced a hum. As the MKIII was the only Pulse in production, Leema had no choice but to go that route to stop the humming.

As a consequence, according to Leema themselves - I can't confirm it as I haven't heard the MKIII version - but my Pulse has a slightly more full-bodied sound, especially noticable in the midrange, if you compare like-for-like.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
It is a standard MKI Pulse. It has no built-in Dac. Difference is my Pulse had all the earthing upgraded to a MKIII because shortly after purchase it produced a hum. As the MKIII was the only Pulse in production, Leema had no choice but to go that route to stop the humming.

As a consequence, according to Leema themselves - I can't confirm it as I haven't heard the MKIII version - but my Pulse has a slightly more full-bodied sound, especially noticable in the midrange, if you compare like-for-like.

Thanks

As I was looking at images last night and stumbled across the digital inputs and was wondering.

Btw does your new Leema have a dac onboard?

The MKI is purely analogue inputs/outputs and has single wire postings. Nothing glam about the amp, but with switchable phono stage, and with 5 in-line inputs (Tuner, CD, AV, AUX/MP3 and tape) + 2 optional phono stages.... add that to the sound quality and you have an excellent 'Swiss Army Knife' of an amp.

I've heard this amp with numerous speakers and sources, and I haven't heard an amp this gives so much payback.

No, I can't compare it to any actives (never heard any), but for integrateds between 1-2k you'll be hard pushed to find a better all-rounder.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts