Official 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray website launched

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I'm still crossing my fingers on whether mu samsung 55HU8500 will accept UHD blu-ray. if i scroll to the bottom of the page it looks like it will.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok so Ultra HD dual layer 66gb & triple layer 100gb Blu-ray great, but there is a ten layer 1tb disc now.. so why are we messing about with 4k? lets just go straight to 8k & stop all that messing about in hyperspace
wink_smile.gif
. Sharp, Panasonic, LG & Samsung have all produced 8k tv's of various sizes too.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
simonlewis said:
I'm still crossing my fingers on whether my samsung 55HU8500 will accept UHD blu-ray. if i scroll to the bottom of the page it looks like it will.
You should be fine. You won't benefit from HDR but the 4K blu ray player should play fine.

Phew. *biggrin* *good*

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
f1only said:
Ok so Ultra HD dual layer 66gb & triple layer 100gb Blu-ray great, but there is a ten layer 1tb disc now.. so why are we messing about with 4k? lets just go straight to 8k & stop all that messing about in hyperspace. Sharp, Panasonic, LG & Samsung have all produced 8k tv's of various sizes too.

There will always be a big difference between what is technically possible, and what is economically feasible.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
There will always be a big difference between what is technically possible, and what is economically feasible

Or what is economically feasible to hold back in order to sell it to punters a few years down the line when the 4K TV market is saturated and you need a new product to get them buying all over again.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
f1only said:
Ok so Ultra HD dual layer 66gb & triple layer 100gb Blu-ray great, but there is a ten layer 1tb disc now.. so why are we messing about with 4k? lets just go straight to 8k & stop all that messing about in hyperspace. Sharp, Panasonic, LG & Samsung have all produced 8k tv's of various sizes too.

There will always be a big difference between what is technically possible, and what is economically feasible.

That is no answer, as everyone knows first adopters of any new tech will allways pay more & it brings the price down for others. I bought my first CD player back in 1985 it cost £449.99 (it is still working too), My First dvd player was £299, My first BD player £499.95 (still working), My first LCD TV & i was a late adopter was still £1499 for a 40inch (still working) & my newer 50 inch 4k TV originally was £2299 .... so for me i would rather have it now than wait until i'm dead before it arrives on the scene thanks very much.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
f1only said:
Ok so Ultra HD dual layer 66gb & triple layer 100gb Blu-ray great, but there is a ten layer 1tb disc now.. so why are we messing about with 4k? lets just go straight to 8k & stop all that messing about in hyperspace.

Implicit in what you say is that 8K will be the final stage. There's always more development. After 8K will come 12K, 16K, 24k, 32K ..... If we waited for the ultimate development we would never take the intermediate steps.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
There may well be more after 8k, but as the human eye can't percieve any difference after we reach that level the only things to upgrade will be other software & hardware within the tv as the rest will be wasted. For example:-Sony building into the tv with a ps5 that plays 8k with a few TB SSD hdd built in nas drive to store all your files on, that has a pass through for the audio to a surround system. or has the amp built in just connect your cheap £3000 speakers. sorted
regular_smile.gif
Unless of course we get holographic tv & that will change it all again
wink_smile.gif
must say i've been looking forward to full 3d holographic tv since the late 80's when i saw a demo on it.. fantastic.. still does not mean we should not get 8k now as it is available elsewhere.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
f1only said:
There may well be more after 8k, but as the human eye can't percieve any difference after we reach that level the only things to upgrade will be other software & hardware within the tv as the rest will be wasted.

We've heard that argument with so called 'hi-res' digital audio (24bit 96k, 192k, 32 bit , etc... )but it won't stop them flogging us stuff we can't resolve with our ears or eyes.

Paul.

f1only said:
There may well be more after 8k, but as the human eye can't percieve any difference after we reach that level the only things to upgrade will be other software & hardware within the tv as the rest will be wasted. For example:-Sony building into the tv with a ps5 that plays 8k with a few TB SSD hdd built in nas drive to store all your files on, that has a pass through for the audio to a surround system. or has the amp built in just connect your cheap £3000 speakers. sorted Unless of course we get holographic tv & that will change it all again must say i've been looking forward to full 3d holographic tv since the late 80's when i saw a demo on it.. fantastic.. still does not mean we should not get 8k now as it is available elsewhere.

TVs are only nibbling 50% of the visible colour spectrum so there is plenty of work to be done outside of resolution :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts