now at the end of the TV antenna?

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
with tall tvs now on the market are SMART and do not need an aerial or even a dish , have we are now seeing the end of both the aerial and the dish ? I say yes Sky has already said they are considering about the future of the dish as TVs now are suitable for the internet. And only a matter of time they stop transmission. The BBC and ITV are also moving away from the terrestrial
ITV has ITV X and all new TVs have built in wif fi and blue tooth too .
To be honest i be glad to see the end of those 72 element TV aerial on top of chimneys here .

They are an eyesore and those dishes too Did you know legally you need to ask planning permission from the council , but nobody bothers these days to ask

Reason is simple health and safety , if one of these was to come down on the road or pavement it could actually kill someone and you be liable ,for it legally . Not many people know this fact .

Me i do have a dish or two the big one and the Sky are at ground level and cannot fall . strange why very few people do not put there dish in there garden

Samd

It will, however, take some time to change - ONS data shows:

Internet use among older age groups has increased substantially over the last five years, but many are still non-users. 4.2 million people aged 65+ have never used the internet. A quarter (26%) of people aged 65 to 74 and around three-fifths (61%) of people aged 75+ do not regularly use the internet.

We watch quite a bit on catch-up player apps or things like Now TV via the internet.

The snag versus dish and aerial signals is you can’t flip channels. But I’m sure by the end of petrol cars we will see the end of dishes and aerials too. Bent bits of wire are so 1980s!!

daveh75

They are an eyesore and those dishes too Did you know legally you need to ask planning permission from the council , but nobody bothers these days to ask

Reason is simple health and safety , if one of these was to come down on the road or pavement it could actually kill someone and you be liable ,for it legally . Not many people know this fact .

That is complete (Profanity edited by moderation)!!!

Listed buildings and conservation areas etc excepted, satellite dishes are allowed under permitted development rules.

The differ slightly depending on the LA, but generally speaking on residential properties up to 15m in height you are allowed two dishes without planning permission, so long as one doesn't exceed 1m in diameter ,and the other 60cm in diameter, and if being fixed to a chimney only one no more than 60cm in diameter

Properties taller than 15m are allowed up to 4 dishes no more than 1.3m in diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I spoke to my planning officer at Brentwood said they really people should put ( bye laws)an application but nobody bothers , yes right on all high listed properties (they still have to) and Duchy of Cornwall too .Norm ally a limit of 60cm is not a problem. When it comes to licenses to Sky . yes it is correct, but i gather Sky has no intention waiting to 2028. They have already started the process last year with glass and there new system ( which is "forget the pun" glassless) . Sky want to get ridof the dish asap as now internet TVs are the future.( until that is replaced one day) They do have a deal with ASTRA but i am sure they have something else in mind for that satellite system, (internet phone system) perhaps on a rental basis. As far a FREEVIEW is concerned it is becoming a b it of a problem more TV stations have left the service in the last year. ( like the 405 lines H aerials just be an old ugly thing) But this system does have future just not with the BBC or ITV Both of which now run a dish service and internet , ( ITV X ) I read some years back that a number of parties was interested in the digital system on a trial basis . This included a local TV service (charity ) Amateur radio ( we already have own satellite and do moon bouncing TV) But it is an expensive system to have in the home , at least 6 to 8 directional aerials on a high mast Around £2,000 just for the aerials alone . Mast and rotators "2" another £3k ) We can now convert those big dishes to transmit and receive radio messages and those "H" aerials can easily be used in the 70 mhz band . But all in all as a main service the digital TV service has a limited life as mainstream TV but outside mainstream wow has it got a future . Even for mobile radio communication ( which is badly needed as the Government stole our 900 mhz band for mobile phone operation I still think digital TV has a future just not what you might think is . I have a big dish and a small one . But also have a 5 band amateur radio aerials one for uhf and vhf on the top of my car . I also have a voice activation system ( cost a bomb) for it with a Kenwood TDM700E and a FT450D that transmit from 1.6 mhz to 60 mhz 100 watts cross modulation and cross bands too and full digital system OPENSPOT on the FT991 . TV and radio is not dead just go in another direction thats all Weird thing is that can use the long piece of wire to cover the whole of the HF bands horizontally .

They're not 👍
Even when they become completely detached, the wire always prevents the fall.

I'm more concerned about my radio / TV / sat all on the same tall mast, bringing the chimney down in strong winds.
(A roofer told me I was right to be concerned 😐).
Yep. More likely to be killed by falling bricks than a falling aerial.

Reactions: Gray

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
radio and TV aerials are a problem on chimneys especially older ones ( new houses do not appear to have them for a good reason). Weakest point in any house is the chimney Think about you rarely if ever go up there and check it Only you do is when something happens ( aerial pointing in the wrong direction/ Dishes should be put on any chimney ( why do they put them there. ) wind will catch a dish and it will weaken the bricks. why do you need any aerial up there or radio aerial. with internet TV and radio there is no need for such aerials and dishes

Last edited:
radio and TV aerials are a problem on chimneys especially older ones ( new houses do not appear to have them for a good reason). Weakest point in any house is the chimney Think about you rarely if ever go up there and check it Only you do is when something happens ( aerial pointing in the wrong direction/ Dishes should be put on any chimney ( why do they put them there. ) wind will catch a dish and it will weaken the bricks. why do you need any aerial up there or radio aerial. with internet TV and radio there is no need for such aerials and dishes
most aerials went up there way before the advent of internet radio, as well you know.
They are there because height was everything and in most cases houses had a handy chimney right on the top that was ideal for fitting aerials to, and so they were. The end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts