Not a full digital convert . . . but?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I love my vinyl as you may have noticed . . . :type: However, one has been thinking about all sorts, new speaker cables, revamping the computer side of my hifi . . at one point I even thought new speakers and CDp :O

Prior to this I was well wrapped up in getting the best from the TT/vinyl side of my system. Thats all been finished for a few weeks now. So the brain starts looking, what next?

The heresy of changing any boxes was soon put out of mind, I'd spent so long getting the sound balance the way I like. But the speaker cable could be looked at, hi purity OFC copper, silver is a no-no to me! Everything to gain, sale or return offer on 'Atlas Hyper 2'? The computer wants looking at anyway, it needs the software/hard drive tided, plus a new hard drive dedicate to down load music.

With all this sorted in my mind, I stated looking at the download options. I'm not adventurous where computers are concerned, so, as I sort-of understand Spotify, I started working on play lists. Hazel and I have out Horlicks hour or three!! we have been listening to Spotify recently, a lot, at low volume. I have cleared my mind of any prejudice against digital and down loads.

I have to admit to being impressed, we are really enjoying the music, in the context of late night relaxed listening. The fact that one can dive about choosing allsorts of music for that evening/nights Horlicks listen . . .

Even better when I get the laptop connected I can do the selection in real time as required. Sound quality has been surprisingly good . . . I'm still a vinyl freak but I'm changing my mind about Digital down loads . . . ?

I then ask the question 'why' . . . First the music I listen to, suited to my system, logical, thats how I have set it up. But a bonus, it appears that low volume listening is particularly revealing, the imaging, presence and detail we hear at these late night Horlicks sessions is spine tingling . . . Last night, the choice, 'The Best of Willie Nelson', not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but from our point of view, 75% of what we heard was just great listening, performance wise and in hifi terms too.

Taking it a little further, a lot of the music we like is old recordings, 50's, 60's and 70's, recording techniques were far less intrusive in those days . . . ? I also find this on the classical music I'm listening to, preferring the 'older' recordings.

There you go, my open ended thoughts, not a full digital convert, but certainly, I have an open mind and am looking forward to the next stages.

CJSF

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Thats the way to go...it actually does not matter what the source is..its all about your listening pleasure....sometimes its not just about your interest...your mood also plays a part.

I have at times abandoned my TT and CD and even iPad and CLiC..just because I am in the mood to listen to my caassette and MD collection...

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
amcluesent said:
Trolling at its best. Learn from the master. :type:

Not trolling at all!!!! Just CSJF thoughts being spoken aloud.

I agree with you though CSJF, Spotify is brilliant for late night trawling and trying different types of music and it is surprisingly good quality.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Know what you mean CJSF. Been without a CDP for a few days so decided to put together some play lists myself... really enjoying it and yes pretty good SQ.

Still want my CDP back though.

CJSF said:
I love my vinyl as you may have noticed . . . :type: However, one has been thinking about all sorts, new speaker cables, revamping the computer side of my hifi . . at one point I even thought new speakers and CDp :O Prior to this I was well wrapped up in getting the best from the TT/vinyl side of my system. Thats all been finished for a few weeks now. So the brain starts looking, what next? The heresy of changing any boxes was soon put out of mind, I'd spent so long getting the sound balance the way I like. But the speaker cable could be looked at, hi purity OFC copper, silver is a no-no to me! Everything to gain, sale or return offer on 'Atlas Hyper 2'? The computer wants looking at anyway, it needs the software/hard drive tided, plus a new hard drive dedicate to down load music. With all this sorted in my mind, I stated looking at the download options. I'm not adventurous where computers are concerned, so, as I sort-of understand Spotify, I started working on play lists. Hazel and I have out Horlicks hour or three!! we have been listening to Spotify recently, a lot, at low volume. I have cleared my mind of any prejudice against digital and down loads. I have to admit to being impressed, we are really enjoying the music, in the context of late night relaxed listening. The fact that one can dive about choosing allsorts of music for that evening/nights Horlicks listen . . . Even better when I get the laptop connected I can do the selection in real time as required. Sound quality has been surprisingly good . . . I'm still a vinyl freak but I'm changing my mind about Digital down loads . . . ? I then ask the question 'why' . . . First the music I listen to, suited to my system, logical, thats how I have set it up. But a bonus, it appears that low volume listening is particularly revealing, the imaging, presence and detail we hear at these late night Horlicks sessions is spine tingling . . . Last night, the choice, 'The Best of Willie Nelson', not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but from our point of view, 75% of what we heard was just great listening, performance wise and in hifi terms too. Taking it a little further, a lot of the music we like is old recordings, 50's, 60's and 70's, recording techniques were far less intrusive in those days . . . ? I also find this on the classical music I'm listening to, preferring the 'older' recordings. There you go, my open ended thoughts, not a full digital convert, but certainly, I have an open mind and am looking forward to the next stages. CJSF

Oh dear, I predict the sales of Horlicks will be doubling in the very near future...;)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Know what you mean CJSF. Been without a CDP for a few days so decided to put together some play lists myself... really enjoying it and yes pretty good SQ.

Yep, CDp, TT for ultimate SQ, listening pleasure and satisfaction, but one has to be in the right mood? . . . I'm beginning to appreciate the convenience of music on tap . . . I thought I'd never say that . . . shows how wrong one can be??

I've been fiddling on and off all afternoon, in between Australian Tennis and World Indoor Bowls finals. I've dipped into Frankie Lain, Nat King Cole, Slim Whitman, Tennessee Ernie Ford . . . Currently listening to the latest Alison Krauss & Union Station 'Paper Airplanes' . . . and signed up for the £4.99pm, no adverts or time limitations, great value, IMHO:type:

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Oh dear, I predict the sales of Horlicks will be doubling in the very near future...;)

. . . They might be claiming aphrodisiac properties and Horlick makes your hifi sound better . . . no my middle name is not Peter ??? . . . :shhh: :rofl:

CJSF

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
Macspur said:

Yep, CDp, TT for ultimate SQ, listening pleasure and satisfaction, but one has to be in the right mood? . . . I'm beginning to appreciate the convenience of music on tap . . . I thought I'd never say that . . . shows how wrong one can be??

I've been fiddling on and off all afternoon, in between Australian Tennis and World Indoor Bowls finals. I've dipped into Frankie Lain, Nat King Cole, Slim Whitman, Tennessee Ernie Ford . . . Currently listening to the latest Alison Krauss & Union Station 'Paper Airplanes' . . . and signed up for the £4.99pm, no adverts or time limitations, great value, IMHO:type:

CJSF

Yep, certainly can be addictive... will probably sign up myself.

BTW what do you think of Alison's latest offering?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Yep, certainly can be addictive... will probably sign up myself.

BTW what do you think of Alison's latest offering?

Macspur, I was not listening seriously enough to be truly constructive, as I say I've been dipping in and out today . . . however, my introduction to her was the film 'O Brother Where Art Though'. Then I came across 'Raising Sand' on Spotify, that had me hooked, bought CD and vinyl, at the same time I bought 'Essential Alison Krauss' to give me a flavour.

All these I like a lot, Raising Sands is a special favourite for us both. The album 'Paper Airplanes', I need to listen closer, its on my play list, in fact, I'm listening to it now, its Horlicks hour.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi Macspur . . . OK, I've just listened through 'Paper Airplane'. New to Alison Krauss & Union Station . . . I wont be rushing out to buy it, its a bit samey, to much plinkity-plonk. I'm left with the distinct feeling, that the musical phrasings are all very similar, just shuffled around a bit . . . making tracks sound similar, the backing is also a bit strong, not allowing Alison to come through to make the best use of her voice, she has a much better range and ability, demonstrated by 'Raising Sands'? Despite this I like it enough to come back for small doses, couple of tracks at a time. Just my view, sorry if this offends any fans.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Not her best album, must admit, but nice enough... So long so strong her best IMO.

Hi Macspur, Just had a dip into 'So Long so Wrong', I obviously cant comment on 'best'? It certainly is far more balanced, and address the things I dont like on 'Paper Airplan'. I am currently listening to 'Alison Krauss and the Cox Family' . . . So long so wrong . . . Alison Krauss and the Cox Family are both earmarked for a more serious listen.

I get the idea the Cox Family are just that a family that sings . . . I like that, reminds me of the Carter family, simple and sincere. The track playing; 'I know who holds my hand', Alison has not got the confidence she now possess, but its very pure, like country music is supposed to be, the singers personal experience. You have to like Gospel music to like the Cox family album, I like a bit of country gospel. Have a listen to 'Loves me like a rock' on the Cox family album!!!

This Spotify thing is to easy . . . 9 o'clock, I should be on my way to work!!!:rockout:

Try 'Tennessee Ernie Ford', Sixteen tones is the classic track . . . there is a wealth of his music on Spotify, some of the recording quality is so good, unadulterated, the way I like it . . . I must get to work mate!!!

CJSF

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Personally I think that digital listening has its place in the whole HiFi arena (and is obviously something that is likely to stay with us). It will never replace dedicated CD or LP listening for a lot of people, but it does have its benefits.

If I want a critical listening session I will always use my Turntable and Vinyl, however for everything else and also for parties....I always use my Netbook (which has a combination of all my Lossless files in iTunes, HiRes FLAC files in Foobar and Spotify). This is then controlled via my Apple iPad using various Remote Apps and which all work brilliantly.

Spotify is one of the best inventions ever and is great for trying new music / parties / compiling playlists etc. I probably 50 or 60 albums at the moment saved as seperate playlsts....and if I am desperate to own the music I will go out any buy the CD and then rip it to my PC (which in a lot of cases isnt necessary as I have it on Spotify)

I sold My CD player about 7 months ago an do not miss it one bit. :p

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Jason36 said:
I sold My CD player about 7 months ago an do not miss it one bit. :p

I think thats a very interesting way of looking at things . . . from the other side of the glass so to speak . . .

CJSF

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips CJSF... one for you, a new girl on the block; Molly Parden... beautiful.

Last FM very good too for streaming free music, not whole albums, but a good function where you search for an artist then play their radio station which comes up with a play list of other similar artists.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
A lot has happened over the past week or two . . . I was going to try new speaker cable (sale or return) then I thought again . . . why? . . . I like what I hear . . . :?

Best not really, the computer has gone on the blink!!! Software issues, so they tell me? I've been advised to move into the 21st century . . . So the money for cables has been redirected . . . I'm happy enough, a new modern computer will help my other life of picture taking . . .

CJSF

SteveR750

CJSF said:
A lot has happened over the past week or two . . . I was going to try new speaker cable (sale or return) then I thought again . . . why? . . . I like what I hear . . . :?

Best not really, the computer has gone on the blink!!! Software issues, so they tell me? I've been advised to move into the 21st century . . . So the money for cables has been redirected . . . I'm happy enough, a new modern computer will help my other life of picture taking . . .

CJSF

Ooh Adobe Lightroom :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts