Nord Power Amp

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The Nord power amp arrived this morning (Nord One UP NC500DM Stereo Power Amplifier in Black with Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amp) and I thought I’d share my first impressions. First of all, delivery timing from my order placed last week was spot on (just over a week from order date) so the statement on the IQ/Nord website was accurate (they are assembled after the order is placed and fitted with the appropriate op amp before shipment. I suppose you would label it as ‘bespoke’).

The packaging was good and for such a powerful amp the size and weight is surprisingly modest (Class D are usually this way, I believe). I had also ordered a pair of XLR to RCA cables from Colin as the Linn Majik DSM does not have XLR output connections. Next came the connections and having to negotiate the spaghetti of wires located behind our units (these are in a built-in unit next to the fireplace – not the easiest place to access). First (and hopefully last) mistake was to connect the amp to the line out of the Majik instead of the pre-amp out. Spotted this mistake in under a second of play as the ATCs burst into nightclub levels of volume. Good news is that they didn’t blow; ATCs are obviously made of sterner stuff as many speakers would have had their tweeters flying horizontally across the room at this point!

Some minutes later and with the interconnects in the right holes, I loaded half a dozen songs into a playlist from the server and set it to repeat. It will now be left to play for most of the waking hours in the next two days or so. I know many will argue about the myth of burn-in for amps and cables but I’m taking no chances here. I’ve so far only had several minutes of listening but first impressions are very, very good. The sound appears open, wide, lacking in glare and detailed. There is also an immediate sense of a vice like grip on bass! The ATCs already sounded reasonably tight in this sense (bass wise) but it appears to have gone to another level. One other first impression and a surprising one in some ways; I can turn the volume up much more than before without the urge to knock it down as its hurting my ears. I imagine that this is down to the amp having no issues with clipping as it comfortably pumps out the wattage while holding the speakers in a vice like. Anyway, will try to give a follow up when I get a proper chance to listen over the next few days. What I can say with some certainty at this stage is it’s the best sound I’ve had so far from any of the amps I’ve owned to date and for the money, appears an absolute steal! More to come when I've had a good listen......*biggrin*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
500 watts and probably a good deal more than 1kw into lower loads is an awful lot of power, more than most speakers ever will need/can handle.

This is usually the preserve of super amps (at super prices and super weights).

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have just taken the plunge and ordered one of these after speaking to Colin this afternoon. Really looking forward to getting it and hearing it, hopefully, do my speakers justice.

Bread and water for me this weekend *i-m_so_happy*

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! Nice to see IQ's hard work has paid off and he has created a good product. And nice one pedro. Sounds like youre going to be enjoyong some quality tunage!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi am confused which models you have I am interested in the Nord one up nc500 MB which is the £1500 twin mono amps in the same box has anyone got one of those on here ? And what's it like ? Sound wise as my thinking is go this way or just buy the abrahamsen pre and buy two 4up power amps which works out more money

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Hi am confused which models you have I am interested in the Nord one up nc500 MB which is the £1500 twin mono amps in the same box has anyone got one of those on here ? And what's it like ? Sound wise as my thinking is go this way or just buy the abrahamsen pre and buy two 4up power amps which works out more money

Forgive me if I have confused you with someone else but didn't you only recently settle on the Abrahamsen setup after a Marantz and were happy with that?

What is it that this is now not giving you that you want to change to a Nord?

In my case I needed something very capable to drive the Kudos' adequately as they demand and deserve adequate amplification. The Nord will give me that in spades rather than my adding in a Linn/Naim amp at a more modest output.

If that doesn't give me the sound and control I want then I'll change the speakers but I will do so in the knowledge that whatever I choose I will have more than adequate capability in the 'current' department. I have ProAc D20r and Dynaudios in my sights.

What I guess I am saying is that i have found a potential solution to fit a problem that I was clear about. What exactly is it that you have an issue with that you feel the need for the Nord to remedy?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

Forgive me if I have confused you with someone else but didn't you only recently settle on the Abrahamsen setup after a Marantz and were happy with that?

What is it that this is now not giving you that you want to change to a Nord?

In my case I needed something very capable to drive the Kudos' adequately as they demand and deserve adequate amplification. The Nord will give me that in spades rather than my adding in a Linn/Naim amp at a more modest output.

If that doesn't give me the sound and control I want then I'll change the speakers but I will do so in the knowledge that whatever I choose I will have more than adequate capability in the 'current' department. I have ProAc D20r and Dynaudios in my sights.

What I guess I am saying is that i have found a potential solution to fit a problem that I was clear about. What exactly is it that you have an issue with that you feel the need for the Nord to remedy?
I have no issue with my abrahamsen 2up . I am just asking a question as I want to use 2 mono blocks for each of my speakers in the future. Sorry if I can not ask a question ! Are you the question police I am just looking for a potential solution myself . I am using £2000 worth of speakers that are 4 ohm speakers even though my abrahamsen runs them ok I wanted a bit more music separation if possible so if you can not be of any help do not comment instead of talking to me like I am some **** head .

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
If my first response offended you I apologise - I was merely trying to understand why you asked.

However, as you chose to be overtly offensive in your reply then you can go ahead with yet another, self justified, pointless 'upgrade' without any further input from me but with the inevitable derision on here that you bring on yourself. Your money. You waste it. Pretty much defines your self definition.

Don't bother responding. I won't be reading it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Paulq said:
If my first response offended you I apologise - I was merely trying to understand why you asked.

However, as you chose to be overtly offensive in your reply then you can go ahead with yet another, self justified, pointless 'upgrade' without any further input from me but with the inevitable derision on here that you bring on yourself. Your money. You waste it. Pretty much defines your self definition.

Don't bother responding. I won't be reading it.
that's the trouble with this site it's full of people like you full of self importance and so up there own backside . I asked a question not a history lesson !

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The way I see it, one has a larger power supply than is necessary, the other more power than ever needed.

One is big, the other small.

Conclusion; I still hate peeling eggs.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Well this has cheered me up. :)

I liked your response BS and thought you had a point, and I chuckled. Maybe got a bit too offended, maybe not. We gotta stand up for ourselves.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The version of the Nord that I bought from Colin a few weeks back is reviewed on Hifi Wigwam. Sorry but I can't post the link here (IPad not helping).

The reviewer at one point compares it to his Naim Supernait2. I'll let you read what he has to say!

It's an excellent review of an excellent amp. Well done, Colin. You've got another cracking product!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts