Noob question about Denon 1909

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all and thanks for paying attention to my post.

I am planning to buy a 5.1 system and specifically the following:

B&W 685 for front and rear

B&W HTM62 as center and

B&W ASW610 as subwoofer.

I'm also considering getting the Denon AVR-1909 to power up the system (i can hardly spend any more money on this system). So, are the speakers going to be underpowered with that low-mid class receiver? Denon 1909 is capable of delivering 7 x 90W at 8O. I know that speakers are very nice, but can the receiver keep with them? Will the sound experience be as expected?

Thanks a lot for your time, i hope i get an answer soon enough so i could "safely" order the system.

PS: Some links

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&action=detail&Pid=388

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/display.aspx?infid=2374&sc=hf

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:rainysound:bump, anyone ?

The Denon would be good enough for that package but you can get better for less money.

Any suggestions of a better one for less money ? I though Denon 1909 was best for its money (read reviews). How's the speakers btw? Good enough for that budget ? thx :)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Speaker package is awesome, but have you thought of dropping the rears down to 686s and using the money saved to spend a bit more on the receiver? I think it would give you a better performance per pound...

A

Anonymous

professorhat:Speaker package is awesome, but have you thought of dropping the rears down to 686s and using the money saved to spend a bit more on the receiver? I think it would give you a better performance per pound...

well,B&W 685 are superior to 686's as they are rated with 5 stars over 3 stars (686's) in the review. Furthermore, B&W 685 are just 100 euro more expensive than 686's here so im thinking its way better getting a full 685's. Will i be disappointed with the Denon 1909 + this awesome speakers? If yes, any other suggestions for a better receiver? Btw, im not going to turn these babies very loud as i have neighbours, but i wanna have a quality system with an awesome sound while maintaining the volume on low-mid. Will this package do the job? thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Understood, and you absolutely should keep the 685s for the front speakers, but, although having the 685s on the rears as well would be a nice to have, considering you're on a tight budget, the 686s will perform more than adequately for rear speakers - in fact the 685 Home Theatre package which is rated 5 stars in WHF uses the 686 for the rear speakers.
It might only be a minimal saving, but that extra 100 euros might get you a good upgrade over the Denon - it's worth a look at least isn't it?
EDIT - thinking about it, have you thought of speaker stands and cables? If not, you will need to budget in for these as well. I have nothing against the Denon by the way (though I've not heard it), just trying to ensure you get the best for your money since you're on a budget.

A

Anonymous

I have a noob question here, i read on B&W 865 specs that its power handling is 100W. So do i need an 7 x 100 W receiver? Is it ok if i get the Denon 1909 ( 7 x 90 W) ? So, will a Denon 1909 be a good investment for B&W 865 theater? I don't need an overkill receiver, neither the opposite. Will Denon 1909 do the job nicely without any power issues? thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
On the power side, you'll be okay so long as you don't try and drive the speakers too hard - if you start to hear distortion, turn the volume down. Given 90W will be very, very loud and you're not looking to go that loud, then you shouldn't have any issues.

A

Anonymous

That's the answer i was looking for! Well, priority is quality, not a very very loud environment, so if im getting a nice , quality and sort of "loud" (not extreme) sound then Denon 1909 is for me as it suits my budget.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
rainysound:
I have a noob question here, i read on B&W 865 specs that its power handling is 100W. So do i need an 7 x 100 W receiver? Is it ok if i get the Denon 1909 ( 7 x 90 W) ? So, will a Denon 1909 be a good investment for B&W 865 theater? I don't need an overkill receiver, neither the opposite. Will Denon 1909 do the job nicely without any power issues? thanks.

This will not be an issue whatsoever.

As for better for the money, both the Sony STR-DA2400es and the Yamaha 863 (can't remember the full model) will be better than the Denon. I don't know where you are and what prices you can get them for but in the UK the Sony can be bought for £370, the Yamaha for around £450 and the Denon is in the middle.

A

Anonymous

I'm a bit confused here searching for Yamaha 863 i got: Yamaha RX-V 863 and Yamaha DSP-AX863SE. What's the one suitable for a home cinema? Are they the same? Need to listen to music and watch movies.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
rainysound:I'm a bit confused here searching for Yamaha 863 i got: Yamaha RX-V 863 and Yamaha DSP-AX863SE. What's the one suitable for a home cinema? Are they the same? Need to listen to music and watch movies.

Yamaha DSP-AX863SE is the model we have been talking about.

A

Anonymous

thanks a lot, ill check its price in my country and choose this over Denon 1909 if it's not that expensive!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts