Nexus 7 charging slow

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I have an original Nexus 7. Been great till recently battery takes forever to charge. Google suggests new charger and cables and switch cleaner. I dont fancy surgery. Any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers

daveh75

Next time you charge it (from the mains charger) go into the battery menu and see if it says (AC) or (USB).

I had the same issue of slow charging, i.e it would only charge in (USB) mode. The cause was a kinked cable.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Curious. Thanks guys. mine says USB so this looks like an issue. For some reason its not recognising the mains. I have tried different cables and chargers. The original charger became faulty and the cable had a loose plug cover. I will try to get AC charging with various chargers and cables. Cheers

Blimey. My current Samsung charger and a Kindle lead and now I get AC charging. Certainly seems to be a way forward. I will let you know if this is a solution since it seems a common fault not really solved with 'Google' and great if it avoids invasive surgery.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
AC charged for two hours. Switched off. 18% goes DOWN to 16%. So the charger sucks. Juice. Literally. Mmmmm. Resorted to surgery. Battery disconnected. Swich cleaner sprayed. Lets see??

Does this appear to be duff battery or wonky charging circuit.

Paul.

Yep, not damaged either. Going to try what Daveh said and see what happens.

Nope, they are work devices. Consider switching every now and then but I can't see a knockout punch feature big enough to outweigh the amount of iOS software I have bought since 2007.

daveh75

I use one of the Anker 5 USB port 'smart' chargers (8amp/40w Max across all ports, 2.4A max to single port) to charge my devices.

It supposedly auto senses the type of device and delivers optimum power, no idea how true it is but none of my batteries are worse for wear for it and it charges a damn sight faster than standard chargers.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I too am using an Anker now. 17% to 95% over night. Maybe better after surgery? Maybe not. Different cables. Cleaning contacts.. Little change. Google/Nexus are reported to be looking at this! Still looking for an answer.

Since purchase I have used different chargers and cables without issue. It must surely be the tablet battery or charging circuit or 'dirt' or software/firmware. Is it only after the latest android update? If Google dont know is it certainly Android? Annoying.

Is it coincidence my Galaxy tab is sluggish or is it just this site? I'm havin a bad-tech week. And then there is the Sony Xperia XP screen issue. And dont mention Samsung American fridges. Time for my tablet ...

Paul.

Googling around it seems to be the cable quality. The micro usbs that my two devices came with seem very poor quality, I have to put them in and take them out sometimes to get them to make contact. ****** standards, lightning is a much more reliable connector.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I had this exact issue with my Nexus 5 phone and that suddenly started taking over 24 hours to charge and after doing a factory reset and not installing any additional apps it made no difference (this was what Google suggested). After simply swapping the cable over for the mini USB that came with my 2nd generation Nexus 7 the issue was solved, I continued to use the Nexus 5 charger plug for AC charging and just used the Nexus 7 cable for both devices and it completely solved the issue and charging was back to being as quick as before.

The general quality of the leads with Google products does seem to be an issue though and I then bought a replacement good quality 3rd party cable and never had an issue since. I recently upgraded to an LG G3 and have to say the quality of the bundled AC charging cables and plug is far superior to those I've had with any Google product I've bought but then to get to the price point that Google want some sacrifices have to be made and I'm sure that the cables is one area where they save money.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Nice to see u again oldboy. Tried lots of cables and chargers. Most success in last few days seems to be from car/usb/cigar socket. I'll continue my efforts when back home

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Received from China a 'Charger Doctor'. Amazon £1.99

Surprising results though the Nexus 7 seems to be charging better now.

This little device is a usb plugin giving voltage and current thru the charging circuit. Tested with my Nexus7, Galaxy tab 10.1 & Sony Xperia and 3 chargers, all rated at 2A. Anker (universal IQ), Galaxy & Nexus. The cables seem to make no difference (tbc).

Galaxy - Sam 1.06A, Nexus 1.02A, Anker 0.44A

Sony - Sony charger 0.55, Anker 0.48A, Nexus NO charge!

Nexus - Sam 0.46A, Nexus 0.65A, Anker 0.65A

Seems all chargers are different but I cant explain these figures.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Cleared system cache on Nexus and on Galaxy tab 10.1 - seems to have improved things somewhat.

Google - press & hold a few buttons ....No loss of data or settings either

pjckmen

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
This article is brilliant. It has really made me think and that's the kind of writing I enjoy reading the most. Thank you for this well written material and information

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Robin

We have 2 Nexus 7s a 16gb and a 32 gb and have had no problems with charging them. I bought the 32gb for my wife when her kindle died but the kindle app is great for her books. My son has a Sony Experia Z3 10 inch tablet and he has just got the keyboard & mouse for his birthday it has fantastic screen.

Hope you are well in Kidder

Chris

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi chrisup. I bought a new Nexus (wireless charger is cool). I then reset original to factory and (I thi k) that may have cured it. Odd when my laptop and Galaxy tab 10 seem to be slowing too. Always thought it was Windows update which slowed down the system and maybe the same with Android?

I do like the Nexus' but prefer a slightly larger tab. I will shortly factory reset the 10.1 and report back if it cures lagging.

Cheers

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Robin,

My son and I use Advanced Task Killer which is free app with android on our phones and Tablets it is a great app.

Hope this helps.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts