squeezebox duet- first thoughts on buy

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i am giving thoughts based on a £180 product (amazon). i got it for £120 from currys in newcastle so got lucky brand new and 2 years cover.

set up- i unboxed it and it was packed well and everything seemed good. then too one look at the manual and thought lets use google and forums.

plugged the controller dock into the wall and inserted the battery and put the controller on charge both are very well made but the charger is a little loose so maynot be able to use while in the dock without it going into charge and out.But the controller felt very heavy or maybe solid feel is a better way of putting it ,thank god i can see a screen and use buttons rather than mess around with a small touch screen i only had my iphone 3gs to do things.

then i added the key number off my bt home hub into the controller,renamed the controller it was ready i was thinking

next cable from hub to the reciever and then coax to the dac-magic.

then switched the the laptop on which is on my breakfast bar (i have an open style front room kitchen/frontroom/dinning area in one). i had to download something called sqeuezebox server and control pannel.

then i had to create an account with squeezebox which made me select where the controller pick up my music i went for a folder which i called flac files that all my cds are ripped to using eac and i tag in eac.

then away i went it seemed to good to be true everyone from the lad on you tube to mrs on facbook and me on my fantast football.Even then gave it the mrs with coldplay playing hit home and said put my on blur parklife then paul weller wild wood songs. within 20 seconds the first was playing and after about a minute i said you going to start to look for the second and she said it should play next. waited and it did so was impressed on how easy it was to add songs onto current listen sessions.

it had passed the music from laptop to speakers 10/10.

now radio1, clyde fm or something the mrs is from bellshill glasgow and again after 15mins of each station is was very good, i tried to find talkport but found out i need a plugin so i will have to sort that out.

i then silenced the controller when scrolling. the scrolling is class i feared for one of those ones when you glide you finger over but this better in you push you finger round and it never goes to slow or fast even the 3year found toy story album with ease.still 10/10

right on my own lets see about spotify. 3rd party plugin easy go to squeezebox server and select it in one of the menus. after it played for an hour i was over the moon but i hit play on my playlist and was on the phone. but there was 2 problems which were slight ones i could only have 500 songs per playlist i have 2 that have ovcer 650. and i could not turn it to show artist order it was in the order i added it to the playlist. so 9/10. would of been 10/10 for the 2 minnor faults which may be able to alter.

the sound was good but flac files had a slight edge so pleased my ripping for hours has payed off. oh yes all artwork was flawless and very clear.11/10 better sq than i really thought was possible is really is as good a cd player or very close.

now this may be me but heres a 3/10 headphone socket on top you need to select beta and it works but then the artwork takes time to catch up when scrolling. too beta off and back through the speakers and the artwork is awesome never see it loading its as quick as you can scroll.

so then i went outside and mrs said it was still changing music so range is good. maybe its because my laptop,hub,receiver or in the same round so dont buy on my thoughts if you are planning you kit to be in different rooms. but so far if the headphone socket is not a major factor is been the best value kit i have ever bought.

and i think a big plus is pace it over to friends when they come round or at partys and they can pick from your entire cd collection in seconds it is really fun.

can anyone add to the theard that has one or has any thoughts or tips i can use.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
the sonos looks unreal i would swap anyday but i was after something in my hand that was solid and bigger that a iphone a proper controller that could do flac files and spotify and really needed to be under £200. if i had more money i maybe wont of even considered it. it has a bugs and may take a few weeks till i get it running how i want. when you save up and get the sonos let us know your thoughts.

nads

you have an iPhone? you should have got the touch.

Download iPeng and the play back option and you will have 2 duet controllers. but one will be better than the other.
smiley-wink.gif

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
hi nads you have a big help, i looked at touch but you cant really carry around with you. i want it so i shove in my pocket pass round friends etc. i hate the iphone as controller i like to look at a screen while typing ect and i listen to music while sometime being on the phone and the lad plays alot angry birds. but im sure it is a lot better.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
miss read you reply nads i will at pay day down it for £5.99 and put it on just in case the battery goes or something be nice to have 2 means to control it. many thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts