Nexus 4 now available to order from Google Play

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Oldboy said:
bigboss said:
She doesn't like gel cases unfortunately (already have 1). She's usually very good in maintaining phones. Her iphone 4S was sold at a good price as it was in pristine condition with not even a scratch, & she never even had a screen protector on. I was thinking of cases for slightly larger phones, which can fit the Nexus 4 with bumper. Samsung Galaxy Note maybe? :?

bigboss,

If you find a suitable case could you post the details please? I've been looking at cases on the net but of course it's very difficult to judge them from just a pic and getting a case from a physical retailer has proved tricky as not all retailers even carry the phone let alone cases for it, I don't like the look of the official bumper either as it looks like it offers very little protection for the phone.

The main advantage of the bumper case is that when placed on a table, the glass surface of the phone doesn't touch the table. So it doesn't slide.

My bumper case was shipped 3 days ago, should come by Monday hopefully.

This case (5XL version) fits Nexus 4 with bumper well:

http://www.buychina.com/items/mo-fan-flannel-bags-huawei-u8860-c8810-s8520-t328t-t328w-i659-cellphone-bag-uwotmnsmnlg

Of you don't like the bumper & want full protection, this is a superb case (I've got one for my Lumia 920) although on the expensive side:

http://www.noreve.com/langue/en/product/LG_Google_Nexus_4_Tradition_leather_case.html

There are voucher codes for 10-20% discount, can't find them on a quick search. Let me know if you're interested, & I'll find a code for you.

I've bought a case from this seller as well (the cheaper Easecase version, not Puhama) who offers personalised engraving. Again, a beautiful case of a very high quality. You can choose the colour, the pattern & the engraving:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/EASECASE/Nexus-4-E960-/_i.html?_fsub=7019728018&_sid=149381558&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Unfortunately, Nexus 4 is only available in the Puhama version currently. Puhama is hand stitched leather & eye wateringly expensive.

bigboss said:
If you don't like the bumper & want full protection, this is a superb case (I've got one for my Lumia 920) although on the expensive side:

http://www.noreve.com/langue/en/product/LG_Google_Nexus_4_Tradition_leather_case.html

There are voucher codes for 10-20% discount, can't find them on a quick search. Let me know if you're interested, & I'll find a code for you.

Enter code NOREVE2013 [/b]for a 12% discount. Code valid until 10th Feb.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Woo hoo. My Nexus 4 just turned up. £3 gel case ordered from Amazon. Might go for a smarter leather one later.

All synched with Google and the microsim should have my number ported across in the next 5-10 minutes.

Lovely screen and a lot faster than my 3GS.

Now to sell my 3GS.....

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
Woo hoo. My Nexus 4 just turned up. £3 gel case ordered from Amazon. Might go for a smarter leather one later.

All synched with Google and the microsim should have my number ported across in the next 5-10 minutes.

Lovely screen and a lot faster than my 3GS.

Now to sell my 3GS.....

Nice! Mine has yet to arrive despite being out for delivery on saturday according to the TNT tracking service, I'm beginning to think it simply won't arrive now and if it doesn't turn up today then it will be time to contact Google Play :cry:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Thankfully my Nexus 4 arrived shortly after posting my worries about delivery, now just waiting for the new micro sim card and in the meantime will be shopping for a case.....many thanks bigboss for all the case info it's much appreciated :clap:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Whilst searching for cases for the Nexus 4 I came across this top 5 from T3 magazine...

http://www.t3.com/features/best-nexus-4-cases-and-covers

The only question now is which one would you buy??

Got the official bumper case yesterday. It's actually very good! Looks like it's a part of the phone itself! Much better than the poetic bumper case.

Regarding battery life: it is variable but average at best. I've installed Advanced Task Killer to kill any running apps. It does help the battery life.

daveh75

bigboss said:
Regarding battery life: it is variable but average at best. I've installed Advanced Task Killer to kill any running apps. It does help the battery life.
Task killers are completely unnecessary

http://android-developers.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html

and generally accepted that not only useless, but detrimental to performance

http://www.google.com/m?q=android%20task%20killer&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I’m very new to Android having used Symbian as my platform of choice for many years and the idea of apps being left “open” is still very alien to me.

For example, on my PC when I’ve finished with whatever program/s I’m using I close them. Likewise, when I have finished with an app/s on Symbian again I would close them, but on Android there isn’t that exit/close option.

I despise clutter on the taskbar of my PC and likewise on my phones. Symbian is a genuine multi-tasking platform just like a PC where all open apps are running and are immediately available, not “paused” or whatever to be re-started when selected again.

I have tried a couple of task managers/killers with Android but found them to be rather pointless: you kill all the crap and then a few moments later it’s all back again! I don’t know whether I’ll ever get my head around how Android works but I am trying…. :wall:

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Got the official bumper case yesterday. It's actually very good! Looks like it's a part of the phone itself! Much better than the poetic bumper case. Regarding battery life: it is variable but average at best. I've installed Advanced Task Killer to kill any running apps. It does help the battery life.

Would you say the official bumper offers good protection of the phone bigboss? I imagine a screen protector may still be advisable though? Still not in stock at Google Play so I'm currently bidding on one on ebay but I'm not going higher than £20 as that seems plenty, out of interest any idea how much Google charged you for P&P for your bumper?

Oldboy said:
bigboss said:
Got the official bumper case yesterday. It's actually very good! Looks like it's a part of the phone itself! Much better than the poetic bumper case. Regarding battery life: it is variable but average at best. I've installed Advanced Task Killer to kill any running apps. It does help the battery life.

Would you say the official bumper offers good protection of the phone bigboss? I imagine a screen protector may still be advisable though? Still not in stock at Google Play so I'm currently bidding on one on ebay but I'm not going higher than £20 as that seems plenty, out of interest any idea how much Google charged you for P&P for your bumper?

My sister-in-law has this bumper case (& so did my wife, until yesterday) for her Nexus 4. She dropped her phone a couple of days ago, & it is evident that the bumper case took the blow, as it's scratched on one corner. The phone is fine. From drops though, it'll only protect if the phone falls on its side. More importantly, when placed on a flat surface, the glass front & back of the Nexus 4 dies not touch the surface with the bumper on. Also, the phone doesn't slip off the surface.

The Poetic bumper case will offer equal protection, of course the official one looks prettier & looks like a part of your phone.

My wife hates having a screen protector, so haven't got one on hers. Until my previous phone (HTC Sensation), even I had one. But the newer phones are made of gorilla glass which are quite resistant to scratches. I haven't put a protector on my Lumia 920. No scratches for 3 months now.
384fd67c_knock-on-wood.gif

I paid a ridiculous £5.99 for shipping. It is unlikely you will get the official one for less than £20. I've seen them go for £35-40.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Very many thanks for the info bigboss, top man :clap:

Dropping the phone is what I'm worried about hense my concerns when it comes to getting a case that will protect the phone properly, as the bumper is designed for the Nexus 4 I've decided I will start with one of these and see how I get on with it (I don't like the idea of a cheaper unofficial alternative)...if I feel more protection is required i will either buy a leather case such as the Noreve you pointed me towards or just some sort of leather sock to protect it whilst in my pocket or bag. I think some sort of sock, be it leather or neoprene along with the bumper should be plenty of protection for my needs.

Good to hear a screen protector isn't required as I have to admit they just change the feel and responsiveness of every phone I've owned up until now, the Nexus 4 is my first step into the premium phone market so perhaps i'm being a little over cautious as it's not as cheap to replace as any previous phone i've owned and of course with it being bought outright i'm extra cautious lol.

Fingers crossed I get a bumper soon and hopefully I will be happy with that :pray:

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I am now waiting for a replacement Nexsus 4 as mine lasted exactly 7 1/2 hrs after delivery (pretty poor packaging from Google sent out in a jiffy bag), before refusing to restart up after a shutdown
smiley-frown.gif

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
f1only said:
I am now waiting for a replacement Nexsus 4 as mine lasted exactly 7 1/2 hrs after delivery (pretty poor packaging from Google sent out in a jiffy bag), before refusing to restart up after a shutdown
smiley-frown.gif

Blimey that's not good atall Paul :cry:

Mine arrived in a folded over jiffy bag too but was undamaged and has been great since I got it with no problems apart from a complete lack of any advice on how to use it, although alot of it is intuative some points i've needed to research on the web...there is no insructions built in to the phone or even a link to a more comprehensive guide on Google. Apart from that very slight niggle i'm very happy with the phone.

Have you had any word when you will receive a replacement yet ?? Hope you aren't waiting too long for a replacement :pray:

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Daveh75

That's exactly what I was looking for - I'd been working from the Nexus 7 guide in Play books but it obviouisly didn't cover the phone!

bigboss said:
I've ordered the 5XL version of Mofi case for my wife's Nexus 4, for protection when she keeps the phone in her purse, based on these pics:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=35378958&postcount=241

The case arrived today. Well made, and cheap. Fits Nexus 4 well. I don't think it's for guys though......there's a bead on top to close the case.

http://www.buychina.com/items/mo-fan-flannel-bags-huawei-u8860-c8810-s8520-t328t-t328w-i659-cellphone-bag-uwotmnsmnlg

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Oldboy

I got a replacement within a week & it did the same thing, but found a cure for it, so keeping both as it's Mrs only's birthday in a couple of days, so she now has one too.

If it shuts down & not restarting as mine did, try the following:- Plug the charger into the phone press the ON/OFF button & the minus volume key at the same time for around 10 seconds & release, then unplug the charger & press the ON/OFF button again & it starts up fine. As both phones now have had the same problem just the once & after updating, both running Android Jellybean 4.2.2 without any issues.

I contacted Google originally & their instructions were almost identical except they did not mention unplug from the charger & then try pressing the ON button, they said it should go into the boot loader but it booted straight back into Android after my fiddling.

No complaints about the service from them it was excellent, they went out of the way to be very helpful & i would certainly buy from them again.

Very happy now, it is an excellent phone.

Regards .. Paul.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts