Next purchase

Billy nomates

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm currently using a marantz 6005 amplifier, and a project debut carbon dc as my main source, I've just retired and received a small amount from my pension that I intend to make a last upgrade to my system, my question is should it be a turntable or an amplifier, my budget would be a thousand pound, any help in this dilemma would be very appreciated,

It would seem from first post that vinyl is the only source. If this is the case and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the amp I would question why the OP feels the need to upgrade anything.

Is there something you don't like about your current set-up or do you just want to spend some money on something?

In any system, and particularly in an analogue one such as this, an upgrade of the source is the way to go in my opinion. Perhaps rather than replace the whole deck you simply get a really good cartridge fitted. If you do that you would still have money left over should you fancy a new amplifier too. Possibly something along the lines of a Creek Evolution 50A

insider9 said:
Quite agree Al. However if speakers are holding the system back that's where I'd start.

Regardless good problem to have when there's money waiting to be spent.

True.

We don't know if OP considers speakers are holding back anything at the moment or whether he just wants to spend the money on something.

I forgot to add welcome to the forum Billie.

Also, as he doesn't mention speakers I would assume he is happy with whatever he currently has.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
It would seem from first post that vinyl is the only source. If this is the case and there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the amp I would question why the OP feels the need to upgrade anything.

Is there something you don't like about your current set-up or do you just want to spend some money on something?

In any system, and particularly in an analogue one such as this, an upgrade of the source is the way to go in my opinion. Perhaps rather than replace the whole deck you simply get a really good cartridge fitted. If you do that you would still have money left over should you fancy a new amplifier too. Possibly something along the lines of a Creek Evolution 50A

If this is the OP's last hifi purchase then is his money well spent on an expensive consumable like a cartridge? Yes I know they will last 500 to 1000 hours, but if I was retired I would be doing a couple of hours a day of music, so within a couple of years he may well be back to square one... Just my two penn'orth...

Gazzip said:
Al ears said:

If this is the OP's last hifi purchase then is his money well spent on an expensive consumable like a cartridge? Yes I know they will last 500 to 1000 hours, but if I was retired I would be doing a couple of hours a day of music, so within a couple of years he may well be back to square one... Just my two penn'orth...

You underestimate the longevity of some cartridges. If this is his only source then the cartridge is likely to need to be replaced anyway even more so as it's an Ortofon 2M Red. No better way of improving a vinyl based system that I know of and no point in replacing the amp if it is currently sufficient for requirements.

Rather than attacking my suggestions perhaps time spent answering the OPs question might be a better avenue of approach. ;-)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’m guessing speakers will be the way to go depending on current speakers and when last pair bought.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:
Al ears said:

You underestimate the longevity of some cartridges. If this is his only source then the cartridge is likely to need to be replaced anyway even more so as it's an Ortofon 2M Red. No better way of improving a vinyl based system that I know of and no point in replacing the amp if it is currently sufficient for requirements.

Rather than attacking my suggestions perhaps time spent answering the OPs question might be a better avenue of approach. ;-)

I'm not attacking anything Al so I am truly sorry if it came across like that.

Gazzip said:
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:
Al ears said:

I'm not attacking anything Al so I am truly sorry if it came across like that.

Then my apologies if I misinterpteted your post.

QuestForThe13thNote said:
I’m guessing speakers will be the way to go depending on current speakers and when last pair bought.

My comments were made on the assumption he is quite happy with his speakers as he didn't mention them.

I am still amazed at the number of posters on here that cannot answer a question, admittedly we can only use the information given by the OP.

My comments were made on the assumption he is quite happy with his speakers as he didn't mention them.

I am still amazed at the number of posters on here that cannot answer a question, admittedly we can only use the information given by the OP.

Insider9 did ask the question but with no reply available I responded to the original question. Admittedly it might not be the one the OP wanted to hear.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Sometimes and very often speakers are overlooked or hardly ever changed, that’s why we didn’t answer question but asked what he has on speakers. We are all trying to help and speakers are clearly a very important part in the chain.

Sometimes and very often speakers are overlooked or hardly ever changed, that’s why we didn’t answer question but asked what he has on speakers. We are all trying to help and speakers are clearly a very important part in the chain.

I am not disagreeing with you there. Let's hope OP comes back with an answer. You may very well be right if his speakers are in the same price bracket as his other kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts