Next move for system. Flatcap, Amp or Speakers.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I have recently purchased a Naim CD5x and was wondering what would be the next move. The player is great with an almost analogue sound on some discs but i would like to explore its potential. I know its responds very well to the the Flatcap 2x but im also aware that its designed to work with the better amps. The problem there is whether to go the integrated route ( nait xs) or the pre-power route (122x and 150x). I have heard that the synergy with the nait xs is extraordinary. Any thoughts? Also im aware that my viennas dont suit the naim electronics prefectly. Would this route bring more gains. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Simple. Definitely go the pre/power route. This will get so much more out of your speakers.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what i was thinking to be honest. Youve hepled me decide. Unless i see a flatcap 2 on the cheap of course.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Definately PRE/ POWER also. Went from an XS to 202/200. Audiotined S/N but sounded muddled compared to the pre/power which was clearer and more precise. Enjoy. Then you can get a FC2 LOL

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
True Blue said:
Definately PRE/ POWER also. Went from an XS to 202/200. Audiotined S/N but sounded muddled compared to the pre/power which was clearer and more precise. Enjoy. Then you can get a FC2 LOL

Thanks for the reply. Do you have much experience with the 122x and 150x. How do they compare with the xs. Are they more precise? Do you recommend going straight to the 202/200 combo instead?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, cant comment on the 122 and 150 never heard them. If you can afford it though you will be well rewarded for many years with the 202/200. Only you can tell this one I'm afraid by demoing. Either way they will both sound great. Nice thing with the Pre/Power route is you can upgrade the Pre seperately as long as the power is able to drive your speakers :)

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
True Blue said:
Sorry, cant comment on the 122 and 150 never heard them. If you can afford it though you will be well rewarded for many years with the 202/200. Only you can tell this one I'm afraid by demoing. Either way they will both sound great. Nice thing with the Pre/Power route is you can upgrade the Pre seperately as long as the power is able to drive your speakers :)

That sounds like very good advice. Might be a good investment. I have heard that even something as high end as the 282 works well with the 200 so you're right about the pre upgrade. Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS