News on the Marantz Slimline AVRs - NR1504 & NR1604

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Can What HiFi please press Marantz to make review copies of the new AVRs available.

I have had their NR1501 for some time now and am pleased with it. I might be tempted by the NR1604 because of it's networking capabilities and, hopefully, improved performance in general BUT do get concerned about the lack of reviews that you see for these Marantz 'slimline' AVRs here in the UK. I understand that is all due to the fact that Marantz do not make them available to the likes of What HiFi to test which always makes me slightly suspicious that they [Marantz] think they have something to hide - ie. are afraid of adverse comment in the HiFi press.

Personally, I find the hulking great AVRs that seem to fill most of the market to be very unattractive, not to mention impractical if you want a reasonably 'compact' system. For me these small Marantz AVRs are the perfect size.

ayjaycee said:
I understand that is all due to the fact that Marantz do not make them available to the likes of What HiFi to test which always makes me slightly suspicious that they [Marantz] think they have something to hide - ie. are afraid of adverse comment in the HiFi press.

I don't think that's the case. I suspect D&M wants to project Marantz as a Hi-Fi brand who also has AV receivers in its line up, and Denon as an AV brand who also has stereo amplifiers in its line up.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
In that case, I wish Denon would bite the bullet and produce a slimline AVR under their own name!

It would be good to hear from any of the WHF community who do buy buy one of the new models. As I said, I have been happy with my NR1501 but can't help thinking that the wireless capabilities of the new model would be useful along with any other improvements in performance.

To repeat from my first post, can WHF staff please press Marantz for a review sample of either but, preferably, the 1604.

JohnKK

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
When you say 'wireless capabilities' -what do you exactly mean?

These AVRs dont have wifi, but do support Airplay which is very practical and convinient for music. If you want airplay it is easier to just add appletv or express to your system. I think that SQ btw your model and these new ones is the same.

Additional question is do you need DLNA support, spotify (managed via AVR remote), internet radio, etc? For these you need new model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts