Newcomer advice on formats

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just invested in a SONOS system and NAS and am about to start copying my back catalogue of CD’s to the NAS. I have heard that FLAC is the best format for this but have a few questions.
- Is FLAC the best format to use?
- If so will my iPod play this format or will I have to convert/duplicate tracks to MP3 format for it.
- What software is the best one to use for the copying/ripping exercise?

Sorry if these are basic questions but just catching up on the technology.

Ed

Zarn_Smith

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
FLAC is good. It is lossless and I understand the SONOS plays it. If in the future you buy something that will only play one of the other lossless formats, then no bother as conversions between lossless formats are lossless :)

If iPods play any lossless format then it will be Apple's equivilent ALAC. But for my iPod I just use variable 192 mp3. It means keeping / maintaining two libraries, but then you get a load more music on the device.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
FLAC is by far the best choice for lossless. Some rippers (dBPowerAmp?) get be set to automatically create 2nd lossy rip which you can push onto the iPod via iTunes. iPods will fill up way too quickly if you copy Apple Lossless to them.

A

Anonymous

Hi I always choose FLAC for my PC, where I play my music from now. However I have a seperate folder for all the same converted to Apple Lossless for Itunes and the Ipod.

It is almost the same as ALAC (Apple Lossless) so you could use that instead. Have a test on your equipment for both see what you think. It is much quicker (for me at least) to convery from FLAC to ALAC than FLAC to mp3. I am assuming this is because they are quite similar whereas mp3 requires a complete reencode. Me thinks!

I use Cue Tools for the music I ripped with old software that makes an image of the disc instead of individual tracks, it is also good for converting FLAC to anything and is free. I also use dbPoweramp for ease when converting. This is not free.

For ripping from your CDs I would definitely recommend EAC, Exact Audio Copy and it is free. I think they are all good programmes and sill serve me well.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have just done the same and am 1,499 cd's into ripping to FLAC, just starting the letter N.

Yes it the best format for the Sonos and sounds great. I would advise using compression level lower than 5 for FLAC. As for the IPOD format and compatability. I use Vortexbox, which is free. It can be set up to automatically mirror every FLAC rip with an MP3 @ 160 kbps. It also gets all the artwork fairly efficiently. You then point itunes to the MP3 folder on your NAS.

I also use dbpoweramp software. It has a CD ripper for the FLAC ripping and is fast. it will get the details/artwork. It also has a batch converter so that you can rip all the FLAC first then convert the lot to MP3 at a rate of your choice to a different folder. Then point Itunes to that folder.

If you download the Sonos desktop controller software to your PC, then you can check the rips as you progress.

Hope this helps.

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I have just done the same and am 1,499 cd's into ripping to FLAC, just starting the letter N.

Yes it the best format for the Sonos and sounds great. I would advise using compression level lower than 5 for FLAC. As for the IPOD format and compatability. I use Vortexbox, which is free. It can be set up to automatically mirror every FLAC rip with an MP3 @ 160 kbps. It also gets all the artwork fairly efficiently. You then point itunes to the MP3 folder on your NAS.

I also use dbpoweramp software. It has a CD ripper for the FLAC ripping and is fast. it will get the details/artwork. It also has a batch converter so that you can rip all the FLAC first then convert the lot to MP3 at a rate of your choice to a different folder. Then point Itunes to that folder.

If you download the Sonos desktop controller software to your PC, then you can check the rips as you progress.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts